IN-Tippecanoe River State Park

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by zinger60, Jul 11, 2009.

1. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Anyone been there or would know anything about it and would like to comment? Seems like I heard something about it being very rugged and alot of mosquitoes. We are thinking of going next weekend. Do they have bike trails or just hiking trails?

2. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

3. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Thanks for the link. It did work. I looked at that yesterday but it doesn't tell as much about that park as it does for the other state parks. We are wanting somewhere close to home so I guess we will try it out next weekend.

4. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Curious to see how things went at T/C state park for you??? I've heard good things about it with the only draw back being that there is no place to swim-

5. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I took a day trip to this park yesterday and was in awe of the forestry. The staff was quite friendly and knowledgeable. This state park is surprisingly large and the drive to the family camp is through a cathedral of trees that would rival a national forest. If you want to get away from it all, this is the place. Bring a can off unscented Off or Cutters, I have a feeling the mosquitoes are thick at night. Basic electric service is available at each site and the lots are spacious and clean. Water fountains are scattered through the family camp, but not at each site. No sewer hook ups are available at the sites, though there is a small sewer dump station on the way out. I went there on a Monday when things were quiet. You can see the seniors love this place... spread out on hammocks, reclining folding chairs. The lots are a happy balance between sun and shade. There are traditional playgrounds for the kids and pop machines at the shower houses. It seemed that each site had a fire ring with a cooking grate and would be pup friendly... maybe even small rig friendly. I can't imagine a big rv manoeuvring around the tight little winds in the camp, but as for pups... a novice could pull in and out easily.
    The facilities seem quite clean and you can tell a good deal of thought was behind the planning for the little camp so that people were not tripping all over each other.
    almost all the roads are paved where they need to be and the ride is wonderful. The only thing holding this place back from being extremely popular is the lack of waterfront access to cars... unless I missed something. It was hard to cover the whole area in what time I had. The river does not seem to be a large one, but there is a canoe camp farther down in the park that does have a ramp in to the water. There are other group camps that are available, perhaps for Boy Scouts or Campfire girls, etc. and also a camp for horsemen in other areas of the park.
    Water front access from the road is sparse. It seems if you want to enjoy the waterfront you'd probably see more of it hiking rather than by car.
    The family camp does have a camp host on duty to help campers and maintain the rules of the park. Cellular service is almost non-existent once you enter the park, but I was told the camp host does have radio contact with the park office if an emergency arises. To me this park is a great little place to catch some peace and quiet for a couple days at a time. Although this place seems out of the way, it is an easy ride just off route 10 and remember to bring with you whatever you need. Outside of a very small general store in the park's home town "down the road a piece"... you get the idea!
    One last note... If you bring a pet, I'd make sure it had the GPS collar. On the odd chance it could get off it's leash, the odds of ever finding it again would be staggering. Also be aware that this place is so quiet you could here a pin drop. Only well behaved, quiet animals should come along or you'll stick out of the crowd really easy. This is a daytime sleeper's heaven-

6. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

A bit of an update on this park...
    My brother frequents this camp and said that I did miss the water front access. That it has decks that proceed into the river and is very nice-
    Brent :)