In your household, who is the main decision maker for the pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jonkquil, Jul 28, 2020.

In your household, who is the main decision maker for the pop-up?

1. Female

32 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Male

33 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Both

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. it's complicated

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I'd really be curious to know what gender/person mostly takes care of your pop-ups. In my home it's me, female, who owns, maintains, cleans, modifies, obsesses over and rules the pop-up! DH helps with things like, recommending tires, possible trouble shooting, I run mod ideas past him and he's a whiz at backing it down our 200 ft narrow driveway. What's it like for you all, who's in charge?

Please take the poll. For those to afraid to answer, because you spouse reads this forum, I've added a 'it's complicated' option [:D]

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

It's our pup, but all maintenance, cleaning is my job. But packing my wife will put stuff in the pup, but I will put that stuff where it belongs.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The wife looked for two years for "her" camper. She takes care of the inside decor, sets up the inside at site, preps inside for towing, etc. She's wants everything, she needs, to work. That's where I come in. I deal with WDH hitch, sway bar, level it, stabilize it, hook up power first to get the AC running, flush and connect water, purge water system air, start water heater, get the awning out, set up chairs, etc. I take care of emptying waste tanks, filling tanks, draining tanks, winterizing, dewinterizing, troubleshooting, repairs to systems, any mods that are needed, tires, brakes, bearings, etc. So we are good.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I do the maintance, cleaning ,packing and fixing. My 8yo daughter is the desition maker. Mostly its the 2 of us. Father and daughter. She picks out the stuff she wants in it. So between white unicorn sheets and what i want we get something we can use. So its complicated. Oh, we also got her the TT and sold the pup. ( it was a good decision). But if it keeps her intrested a little bit , and we go places im fine with that.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For a long time, the idea of the popup and then the travel trailer was mostly mine. Repairs and other decisions are made together, though Courtenay is usually the one who does most of the hands-on. I have a good idea how to do many things, but not necessarily the ability.
    It was actually Courtenay's idea that it was time to move to the travel trailer, when he realized how difficult some pup things were getting to be for me (lifting roof, flipping galley, shifting everything inside that needed to be moved). Playing with "decor" is pretty much my thing. He commented a few trips ago that he originally thought the campers had been mostly for my benefit, but he was really enjoying having the camper to return to after a long hike or multi-day backpack.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

DW was mostly disinterested in the PUP. She helped pop up and down, but essentially everything else was me.

With the TT, DW is totally invested. She loads, unloads, makes decisions on upgrades and PM, tows, assists in hitch up, cleans, and just about everything else except the grey and black tanks. And that total investment of my DW is worth every payment I had to make for it.

7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I do it all...When we camp close to home...I usually set up and stay first night by myself because she has to
    work on Fridays.
    She leaves the morning of last day and i stay and tear down.
    I do all the cooking...cleaning and packing.
    She has it made....She basically shows up and camps.
    When we camp far away she takes the dogs for a walk while i set up.

8. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Wow! you sir are amazing!!!

Lainey, gardenheather and firepit like this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

It works well for us...I don't mind because i can go at my own pace.
    She like camping but no where near as much as i do.

1380ken and jonkquil like this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I make the plans, she changes the plans...THE END

HappyTraveler, Orchid, Lainey and 7 others like this.
  11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

i make the plans - i change the plans - i buy the stuff - i fix the stuff (or pay to get it fixed) - i tow it - i back it in- my hubby just goes along for the ride (when i let him - otherwise it is a gals only trip)......

12. Michael J Keele

Michael J Keele New Member

Being single and unattached, I take care of all parts of the pup. Nobody argues with any of my decisions. But, also, nobody corrects me when I make the wrong decisions, either.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My mom bought their camper from her own checking account. The TT in all legal purposes is mom’s. Only her name is on the paperwork. Yet, towing, repairs, maintenance, and the gray and black water emptying seemed to have landed all on my dad to do whether he wants to or not. (He hates camping). Mom will pack, and unpack and will setup the little things inside their TT that is her extent. Dad only does the bare minimum in repairs and maintenance. He parked it at a campground seasonal site and that’s where it stays. He is secretly hoping it will eventually die.
    As for my popup, it’s all on me. I may take into consideration what my little side kick or mom say, but ultimately it’s all on me. I will plan the trips and notify them my plans and leave it up to them if they want to come or not. All repairs and maintenance I do myself. With perhaps a little help from my little sidekick. Especially if it means we are not going to set up until said repair is done. Mom has helped with curtains and will be helping with cushion covers when I get to that point. Then again it’s usually just me anyway. I’ve learned long ago that if I want to go somewhere , I need to do it myself. If I wait for a friend or family to come it will never happen.

HappyTraveler, Rempop, Orchid and 3 others like this.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I do all the work and make reservations, but Bat-dog was in charge. She set all the rules for everyone. She determined when to get up, when to go inside, etc. I suspect The Cat will take over from Bat-dog.

Like jmkay, if I waited for others to do the work, I'd never go.

15. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Member

80/20 on both ends... "household" is 80% DW, "mechanical" is 80% me... though we DO have a great partnership for the 20% of sundries...however, I'm 100% the coffee maker [that has something to do with me getting up between 4:30-5:00 am every morning].... regardless, either one of us could go solo, with confidence.

Happy Trails

HappyTraveler likes this.
  16. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

You saved me some typing...I'm same as above lol. She makes the reservations and food plans too.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  17. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought the Apache and TT both sight unseen by her. I make all the reservations and do all the maintenance and cleaning. At camp, she takes care of setting up and tearing down the interior while I do the unhitching/hitching and utilities.

HappyTraveler, Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  18. vader33

vader33 Member

She likes to handle the planning, packing, and decorating. I take care of the mechanical and towing. I stay away from the inside and she stays away from the outside lol.

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  19. vader33

vader33 Member

That's what you have us for lol [:D]

Floridagal, Tom Jordan and jonkquil like this.
  20. ErikaKS

ErikaKS New Member

I pack the kids and the pop up, he fixes things and gets them hooked up and running. I buy the food, he usually cooks. We both set up and tear down... Its a good system for us.

Lainey and lynnmarie0123 like this.