In your household, who is the main decision maker for the pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jonkquil, Jul 28, 2020.

In your household, who is the main decision maker for the pop-up?

1. Female

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Male

33 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Both

31 vote(s)
    30.1%
  4. it's complicated

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lainey

Lainey Member

I wish all I had to do was haul it park it and drink beer!

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I thought it was a super interesting question, especially since I've always been the camper person in the relationship. Males seem to out number females here, so I kind of wondered the same thing.

Hubby is just along for the fishing and does things that I ask him to do because I can't physically do it. But he doesn't decide to do anything camping/camper related on his own. It's 100% me. He doesn't care, either.

jonkquil likes this.
  3. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

Ours, but I (female) am the delegator of everything. I remodeled it and am the one who takes on maintenance etc. I spent the hours researching it before we purchased it and research everything else. Our roles are somewhat reversed as I’m the more handy one between the 2 of us. He’s absolutely brilliant in other ways I’m not so it just works for us and lots of mutual respect. I don’t have a ton of experience though so it is all a steep learning curve, but I’m really enjoying it. He is the muscles for all of the heavier stuff and so we have a nice system for set up and take down and packing. But it’s definitely my baby.

Nani2 and Orchid like this.
  4. Karen Gay

Karen Gay New Member

The hubs doesn’t much care for camping, but will tag along if I make a reservation close to a golf course or racetrack... The pup’s mine, along with all the maintenance and expenses, and I love her dearly! ❤️

Orchid and WannaTravel like this.
  5. Old School Rob

Old School Rob New Member

I would say the DW and I pretty much split the time 50/50. I take care of the outside, she takes care of the inside, for set up. I do all maintenance, she does the shopping.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. lilpott

lilpott Member

We don't have a camper yet. I've been looking for only a month but we are hoping to have one by Spring 2021 to take the littles camping next summer. I am doing most of the looking and learning. However once we have the camper we agreed my husband will do set up/tear down, any mechanical issues and fixing. I will organize the inside make it nice and keep track of the kiddos and all the items used inside.

Pommom70 and Orchid like this.
  7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

That is an interesting way to look at it.
    I don't actually think of it as "role reversal" since as an educator, I believe anyone can be intelligent in any area, or have their own unique preferences. I was the same way with my ex-- he was brilliant with computers, but couldn't or wouldn't fix a thing if it wasn't inside a computer box.

That visual-spatial intelligence is supposedly more prominent in males, but like anything that is not an absolute. One thing I did in latter yrs of the marriage was to take class in "Woodworking for women." That was an awesome class and I learned about some tools-- but the kind that are big and SIT and don't move in a shop (think, table saws). Afterward I started buying my own power tools (the portable kind to carry around) and learning those, too. We knew the"role reversal" was complete when he got me a belt sander for my birthday :)
    Now what I say is, "Power tools are a girl's best friend!" LOL

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  8. nursesoftballboo

nursesoftballboo New Member

9. nursesoftballboo

nursesoftballboo New Member

I am the chief of the pop up . . . just spent the last 4 weeks under it working on the lift system replacing cable, springs etc. Husband is a great helper but if I don't delve in it won't get done. I ensure everything is maintained, locked and loaded. It's my baby and own it and it's always been like that from 1st pop up to 30' to 32' and now back down again to pop up. I love it, he likes it and does it for me. I'm the more mechanical so it works best that way! Enjoy!

jonkquil and Orchid like this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is like asking who holds the remote control, who drives the car.

11. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Like everything in our marriage it's done jointly. Our last adventure tent camping got me thinking it was time to get off the ground. Mind you, we spent over 4 weeks tent camping and were wanting to spend longer (essentially getting away from the snow and cold of winter) in the warmer climes. I began looking at pups and talking about what I was learning to DH. He got onboard and suggested we make our "wish list", so that's how we ended up with a highwall.
    We absolutely love it!
    Physically, I can't do what I'd like to do, so that leaves all the outside set-up to DH, but I take care of the inside. My skill set also allowed me to make all the new curtains. DH does all the maintenance b/c I physically can't do that. But I would have no trouble doing it, just show me how.
    Both of us do the grocery shopping, I'll do most of the prep work and cooking only b/c I don't like how DH cooks, and we both do the packing. I will also say that I will usually repack what DH packs only b/c I can get more fit into less space than he can. Tetris Baby!
    We also both drive, but DH is the one to hitch it up and back it up. Think all those years growing up on a working farm and hauling wagons with tractors comes in handy. ;)
    Both of us also take care of the portapotty and the black and gray tanks, depending on which we are using.
    We also both decide where we'd like to go and take turns deciding. Luckily, both of us enjoy traveling and going to different places and both of us enjoy camping and being out in nature.
    So we each have our strengths, and play to them.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

It is all me. DW has no interest in using it, for the way we travel as a family it just doesn’t work. My son and I use it a couple times a year, although last year was a wash due to his extra curricular activities (scouts and orchestra), and this year COVID wiped us out as well. I’ll ask him for his input on some mods or purchases, but mostly it is just my hobby. He is only at home for another 2 years before college, guessing I might get more use out of it then for solo trips, and maybe I can convince DW for a trip or two, especially if I agree to pare down my gear load out and keep it light, simple and minimal.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

Well, hubby always has the remote, but I'm the camper person. It's a more interesting question than those because anything with wheels has traditionally been seen as men's domain. Looking at the results of the poll, it seems about even, if not a heavy on the female side, if one considers the "it's complicated" option to be code for female. [LOL]

Just a guess, but I would think if you ask this same question on a forum for larger RVs, the answer would be male dominant.

I also do the driving because he uses medications that can impair driving, but he always backs it up at the site.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  14. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I'm the one who wanted the popup. He did not enjoy tent camping and I was lucky to get him out once a year. I thought the things he hated in a tent would not be a problem with a camper. He thought I lost my mind but he did listen to the research and we went to a Camping World and he was shocked at how much I knew from research. He really liked the 228D but I was trying to find something lighter we could pull with my minivan. He gave up his beloved Camry to get something to pull the 228D and we are happy with our decisions.
    Again I researched and found a great video of how to put up the camper and I watched it several times and he watched a few. I printed out a checklist for putting up and we worked well together. What one of us forgot the other remembered.
    I shop and pack and load car and he helps unload. I'm the one who wants to go so I do as much as possible to make him enjoy it more. I check the battery maintainer is working and remind to check air in tires and water on battery. We both cook a big breakfast in the camper. I do lunch and he cooks dinner on the fire. He has always loved to play with the fire.
    I remember our first season I told him my dream was that he came home from work and said let's go camping this weekend every week. Not gonna happen. I'm trying to get us out every third weekend. I know he likes it more than he lets on, but he's not begging me to book more often.
    I joke that our retirement job should be a campground host but we'd have to get a bigger camper. I said something about it this weekend and that it would never happen because he'd have to get a truck. He thought I said he'd have to be drunk. Truth!!
    I know what kind of sites he likes--on the water, shaded, private, COE, within an hour and a half of home. I loved a park that only had cell service in a few areas, so I'll have to look for those areas when booking.
    This year I have made reservations every third weekend and tell him later. I know our schedule and work around it. We have had a great time!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  15. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

That class sounds amazing! Yes I agree with you. I should have put the term role reversal in parentheses.

16. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I didn't really notice the results being more male dominated. Interesting.
    I will say that I know I tend to prefer more masculine type things over feminine type things; I'm definitely not a girlie girl. Honestly, guys are a lot more fun to hang around with (they don't get into the petty gossip like women do) and their toys are a LOT more fun.
    Back in the day I used to change my own car oil. What finally stopped me from doing it was when I was pregnant. Around the 7 month I just could not fit under the car anymore. Hubs has been doing it ever since.

Orchid likes this.
  17. Orchid

It's equal here, maybe a bit female dominant. :smiley:

That was just a guess on what the results may look like on a more general RV forum, as opposed to pop ups.