Incandescent to LED change for Brake and Clearance Lights - much point?

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by hpka, Jul 10, 2020.

1. hpka

hpka New Member

For a moment I'd like to discuss changing the brake and clearance lights to LED. For clarity, I mean these ones
    2020-07-10 11_09_02.jpg

Since these are lights powered by the towing vehicle, is there much advantage/point if they are otherwise working lights? If, for instance, more power could/would be directed to the trailer battery during driving, that would be tempting, but I'd expect it to be minor.

We're also only talking about CAD$16 for the clearance lights and CAD$13-20 for the brakes.

Thoughts?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

other then instant on at full brightness, no real need to swap them.. now if the bulbs need replacing, go ahead and try them (led) but know that newer vehicles that weren't designed to power leds may not like them as there is next to no resistance olr amp draw, vehicle may think bulbs are burnt out and beep at you repeatedly (yes I know on the trailer, but vehicle is powering them..) ..

hpka likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Over the years, I've noticed the lenses starting to melt slightly near the bulb. LEDs wont do that, so 20 years from now, your lenses will look slightly better when viewed close up.