Incline Slide

keirajohnston

Sep 10, 2022
Went on a camping trip in the mountains and the only spot we could get was on a significant incline. Kept sliding off the sleeping pad, anyone have any suggestions on preventing this in the future if we don’t get there in time for more level ground?

MsMac

May 19, 2016
We have found that wood blocks along with the occasional use of a floor jack will get us level, even on some fairly uneven ground. (Yes, we are absolutely level in this pic- Crane Flat CG, Yosemite NP)

DSCN4146.JPG

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
By the way, leveling isn’t just for comfort, although it certainly makes for easier sleeping than in a sloped tent. The roof supports work better, if you have a fridge, it needs to be within certain degrees of level. If you have plumbing, it can work better too if level.
Level side to side by raising the low side before unhitching; chick the low side before unhitching too. After pulling the tow vehicle away, adjust front to back level. For instance, the site I’m in at the
Moment required me to drop the front quite a bit from where it was on the hitch.
We have used Lynx blocks since our first popup. They give us flexibility and work well with our current camper.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Were you in a tent?

If so, you can get cots with adjustable legs. Otherwise, all you can do is set up so your head is uphill and feet downhill.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
if you were in a tent, unfortunately that is one of the downsides. when I had that happen to me I put the sleeping pad directly into my sleeping bag so it’s coming With me If gravity decides to play. Not as comfortable and you can still slide off the pad but a Little less so especially if you use a mummy bag. I used air mattresses but you can still slide On those, but they are wider so a little less likely to fall off but they come with their own downside.