Inclined driveway and length

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by cityfrank, Jul 29, 2016.

1. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

Hello All!
    Before we make our hybrid purchase I am trying to work out all the details - including storage. The Popup just went into the garage in the winter, but with a Hybrid I plan to store it somewhere else (for the winter at least). Which leads me to my question - I want to bring the hybrid to the house for the summer months and park it in my driveway. The driveway is long enough, but It is sloped up toward the garage. It is not a crazy slope but about 6 degrees at its worst. I do not plan to have the beds open while at home, just so I can do my maintenance, pack it, etc. (also save some $ on storage costs). Do you think this will pose a problem for the trailer (I will of course use a good set of chocks)? What about the fridge - will being out of level pose a problem for the proper functioning of the fridge? (I usually like to run it a day before we leave so it gets cold)
    Another side question - when manufactures list the length of the trailer in the specs, I know they mean closed, but does that include the tongue as well or is it only the "box"? Just want to be sure before I make any purchases.
    Thanks

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First welcome to the Portal from the North Western edge of the GTA. What part of the Province are from ?

Second .. I'll assume you have done you homework pertaining to your tow vehicle and it can handle a HTT?

Third .. Depending on where you live, some Cities have silly bylaws when it comes to recreational camping trailers and their storage / seasonal parking..

You may need to use some blocks under the tongue jack foot to help achieve front to back leveling.. However, you should keep either the nose down or the nose elevated while the trailer is parked to help with rain (and snow) run off and prevent puddling on the roof..

I do the same.. and all I do is raise the tongue jack until the trailer is level front to back.. Where it sits it is just within the level marks side to side..

Yes... lol It all depends.. I have seen some manufacturers who include the tongue length in the measurements and others only use the box size..

3. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

I know the more modern absorption refrigerators are supposed to be a little more lenient with being level I would still be hesitant to run it unless it was very close to being on the bubble. Just my two cents.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I read that your driveway slopes TOWARDS the garage, which means your tongue will be higher than your axles.

If you run the tongue jack as low as it can go, you can probably take a few degrees off your front to back slope. You can probably approach level if you back the TT on to blocks or Lynx on BOTH sides, which will lift the axle up, and then run your tongue jack all the way down.

I've had a few back down slopes, but I modified my tongue jack so I can take the caster off if needed and I can run my hitch into the ground, if I want.

To be able to both lift AND chock the axle, I suggest the Lynx Chock Stop system. It allows you to chock the tire no matter how high you lift it with Lynx blocks.

I think you can get it pretty close to level, but it all depends on the geometry of your trailer and how low your jack can go.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Being out of level only affects the refrigerator when running. When in storage it doesn't matter.

Why can't you level the RV in your drive?

6. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

He said it is sloped UP towards the garage. Assuming he will probably be backing it in, wouldn't the tongue would be lower that the axles?

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes.. if the garage is up hill.. to level front to back the tongue would have to be raised... Using a block would help ensure he doesn't run out of tongue jack travel ..

8. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

OP, I do that all the time, as a matter of fact, I just parked the camper in my inclined driveway a few hours ago to do some work for thursday trip. I installed a 30 amp connection so I run the AC while working on it and turn the fridge on before the trip. I also have the water and sewer connection right there but I generally dont leave the camper there for too long. We have bylaws in my neighborhood that forbids it but the HOA is very lenient and let you park it for 2 or 3 days.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Ah, driveway slopes away from garage, like most do. I see now. Then storage is conventional... Put a block under the jack and have at it.

10. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

North-west end of the city of Toronto - Etobicoke to be exact.

Thank you all for the replies. Yes the driveway slopes down AWAY from the garage, and yes, backing it in would put the tongue lower. I currently do the same with my pup and yes I built a wooden structure to put under the jack to keep it level - but that is because I open it up, beds and all, to load it. I guess I was just wondering if I would have to go through that process with a HTT. I suspected so, just trying to save a little time and work I guess - no worries. I figured as much for the fridge at the very least. I just find that the jack doesn't go high enough on its own and then the back is so close to the driveway that I couldn't ever get the rear stabs to open. Will I have the same issue with a HTT? Unlikely that the fronts (if it has them) will open enough either - which means more blocks. The joys of having a trailer I guess :)

Not sure about the bylaws - I will check it out. I have my pup opened nearly the whole month of June between camping trips - no one has complained yet! A little different I suppose with a HTT.

I guess when it comes to the length I will just have to contact each dealer/manuafacturer to get the length for each unit I am considering on whether they include the tongue or not in length calculations.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ahhh Etobicoke .. right next door to my job ...lol

The HTT will probably sit a bit higher due to it using 14 or 15 inch tires, depending on what you buy, some came from factory with a higher suspension...

12. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I will say that most HTT will not have a swing type stab but the stabs that you lower by cranking a rod so you would not have problems deploying them in the back but in the front you might need extra blocks as they might not be long enough. I havent have the need to deploy the stabs while at the house as the htt is heavy enough that even if I walk to the rear it will not tip up. I can do that in the dutchmen pup, walk to the back but I cant get in the rear bunk unless stabs are out. The Coleman will tip up if I get just one feet behind the axle line. It is too light.

I have a collection of 4x4 wood wedges, they work as chock, to help raise the front, or to help with the stabs.

good luck.

13. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

So, I was out camping when you joined the gang here. I'm pretty much just chiming in to say welcome to the Portal from the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

I have the same driveway as you, it slopes down to the road. On mine, the difference in frame height between the front and the rear, where the stabs attach to the frame, is just more than 10 inches. Add about 3 1/2 more inches out to the tip of the tongue. I have a lot of blocks out in the front under the tongue jack, and I don't actually make it perfectly level, but it's pretty close. The fridge works just fine.

14. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Mine was way off last weekend and the freezer was in the negative numbers

15. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

My old hybrid was around 25 feet long. I had about 2" of clearance getting it in and out of slopped driveway. I had a level paved rv pad on side of garage. Slope. Was 20 degrees