Increase in flat tires on P'up after upgrading TV

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Hoomi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

So, in the little over a year since we upgraded our TV from the Pathfinder to the Sequoia, we've had three flats on the trailer, whereas previously we'd gone a couple of years without any flats. Since at least one of the flats was one of the replacement tires, I can't make the correlation between tire age and failure.

I'm wondering if the reason is that the Sequoia is a wider vehicle than the Pathfinder, putting the wheels on the TV more in line with the wheels on the P'up. My suspicion at this point is that the tires on the TV are kicking up road debris such as a nail or screw, which ends up striking the P'up tire just right to poke in and cause the flat. The last two flats, the tire shredded before I realized it was flat, so any evidence of the culprit was long gone.

Has anyone else had issues such as this? I'm considering putting together some kind of flaps to go in front of the P'up tires to deflect road debris away from them.

2. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

[?:~{] I've towed our '07 with both a Ranger (narrow) and an F-150 (wider) and I've not noticed any increase or decrease in tire failure....

I don't want to say it aint so, but this is baffling.

Hope you get good feed back.

3. tsc

tsc Member

Just throwing this out there. I have no idea.

What is the difference in tongue height, between the two vehicles? Did the pathfinder take more weight on the tongue the the Sequoia?

I don't know if changing the angle of the tongue would add or remove weight from the axle, and if it does, does it put more/less stress on the tires. (I know with my pup, I'm right at the weight limit with my tires).

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

There is merit to your theory if the tow vehicle and trailer share the same track. There is a reason most flats are rear tires, the front tire will stand up a nail or screw that is on its side and then the rear tire is punctured.

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

1. Your theory could be correct and a mud flap may help.
    2. Are you towing a lot faster with the better vehicle?
    a. You could have had a bearing problem develop that is adding heat to the tire in combination to driving faster
    3. It could just be a run of bad luck.

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

My 2 cents is that I don't think the two things are related

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Is your sequoia taller than the pathfinder and was the camper more upright than level when on road? if its slanted upward, the more weight will be on the tires.

8. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

With the Pathfinder, we tended to be a little bit tongue-down while towing. The Sequoia has auto-leveling, and the trailer sits very close to level.

I've checked the hubs periodically on trips, particularly after longer highway stretches, and they're not running hot. In the last two cases of flats, one occurred within about 30 miles of leaving the campsite. The second occurred after some lower speed, through town driving.

It could just be a run of bad luck, but replacing tires too frequently can get a bit expensive.

The Pathfinder wheel track is just under 61". The Sequoia is about 66", according to a specs page. Measuring it, it's 78" between outside edges of our tire treads. The P'up measures 79" between outside edges of the tire treads. The P'up tires are narrower than the TV tires, and the Pathfinder used a slightly narrower tire than the Sequoia does.

Maybe some angled flaps a bit in front of the P'up wheels might not stop it, but I don't think it'd hurt.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The pot's now 4 cents. Cause and effect faulty logic. Maybe. :)

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Different tire mfgr? Is the replacement tire the same?
    But I have an extremely low opinion of any tire that has ST imprinted on it. [:D]

11. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Two of the three could be age/wear related?

That leaves the mystery as to why you might have 1 flat with a NEW tire?? [:D]

12. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

I''m of the opinion that most camper tire blowouts are a result of heat buildup from dragging brakes or even an improperly adjusted brake controller. I make it a point to feel my wheels whenever I stop to check for heat. A word of caution, place your hand close to the wheel before touching as a dragging brake or bad bearing can heat the wheel to the point it can burn you. That being said you didn't say whether your camper has brakes but a change in TV also means a change in brake controllers. Not even my 2 cents ,maybe 1 1/2 cents.

13. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Since upgrading your towing capacity, have you added items to the TT that you had been hesitant to load before? More weight, especially that above axle capacity, results in increased tire wear, especially on the inside of the tread, due to axle flex.

14. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

I am of the opinion that some trailer tires are just crap . . . almost all of them are made in China . . . and I think there are lots of very well manufactured things coming out of China, but not necessarily trailer tires. Of course driving over the tires speed limit, excess heat, overloading, mis-adjusted brakes, etc. can all help them on their way to problems.

I have had mixed results with trailer tires.

When we first got our popup it had Carlisle Radials on it that the previous owner had just put on it and I ran them for about 5 years without a problem. When I went to replace them (the left one was down to the wear bars) I found out they were one size too small so could have been loaded to the max or even overweight.

I did a bunch of research and settled on Maxxis Radials which had lots of positive reviews on various trailer forums. Three years later on the second day of a 11 night trip the left one blew. A few days later I noticed that the other one was separated. Discount Tire in Colorado replaced them under the road hazard warranty with a couple of Goodyear Marathons that they happened to have in stock and so far I have not had any probems with them . . .

On the same trip my BIL had a 1.5 year old Kenda Radial trailer tire separate also. Although he thinks his was because he had been storing his trailer jacked up on his BAL Leveler in his back yard all the time it was parked.

I actually blame it on horseshoes . . . . read here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=76140.0

Hopefully your luck will change soon!

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Let's make it 6 cents. I think it's just back luck.

16. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Certainly, coincidence is one of those things we humans don't accept willingly - we are always looking for cause and effect that isn't always there.

17. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Would not do that. Tried on a truck to improve looks. Around town, it did not matter. But on the highway, the tires and hub ran hotter. A bunch hotter. Like 10o on the differential temp gauge on a 250 mile run. I could feel the different temperature when checking tires when I stopped. Had to pull the rearend, check the bearings before I would believe it was the flaps. We all know we don't want to risk adding any heat to trailer tires...

18. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

how about electro-magnets??
    can't to strong otherwise will pull in metal! [:D]
    Good test to measure what is out on the road.

19. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Most yard trucks, (you know, the one that just run around in the lot a truck terminals or warehouses putting trailer where they need to be?) have big bar magnets hanging from bumper. Amazing to see how much they pick up day after day...
    I hope I don't jinx myself. In the nearly 12 years we have had our camper we have had 2 flats on it. First, packing to come home, one tire 40 instead of 50. Grabbed pump, ran it back up. About 10 miles into a 45 mile trip home, pulled into dead gas station, touched the tires. Well snot! Changed it, came on home. Patched nail hole. The other, PUP in drive, backed up to garage. BANG! Took 2 trips around the trailer before I found it, hole in the bottom of the spare, could put 3 fingers in it...