Incredibly stupid heater question that I am asking anyway!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by jjjandrbaker, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

Okay... It looks like it may be a little chilly in Austin this week. I figured out how to use my furnace during my last trip (but didn't really use it because it wasn't that cold), but there is one question I keep thinking about. If I am camping for three days, do I actually turn the gas on and off at the tongue every time I use it? Or do I just turn it on and leave it on for my stay, even though I will only run heat first thing in the mornings to take the chill off?

Anyone?

2. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

I would just leave it on until you leave and then shut it off when you leave

3. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Leave the gas turned on until you're ready to pack up.

4. Michoshisho

Michoshisho Member

I agree. Leave it on. However, before you close up shop, make sure you drain the lines. Turn the propane off and then run the stove or heater until the heat/flame stops.

5. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

Thanks for the quick responses. If I use it, I will just leave it on until time to take down the pup.

I just checked the weather outlook. It has changed for Austin. Doesn't look like it will go below 40 and that is only for an hour or two a couple of nights in the wee wee hours. May not even use the furnace. I have a nice electric heater that kept the whole pup above 55 degrees the last time I camped in weather that went down to 34 during the night.

6. marcham

marcham New Member

Furnace is nice in the morning, only needs to run for about 5 minutes and the trailer is comfy ... we flip a coin to decide who is going to reach for the switch to turn it on! :)

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have always turned the propane on when I set the trailer up and left it on until I tore it down to leave.* This is not only for the furnace but the fridge. Also, now that I have the TrailManor I use the water heater and sometimes the stove to make coffee in addition to those other appliances.

I drove with it on in my Yuma for a while, too, to keep the fridge running. I had to quit that because the wind kept blowing the flames out in spite of my attempts to use various baffles to prevent that.

8. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Open your propane tank valve upon arrival, set your thermostat on the furnace and turn your power switch to the on position. Your furnace should be automatic, the fan comes on first and gets to speed, opening your sail switch, then ignition and heat, then cool down with the fan running a few minutes after.

You should get about 23 hours of burn time on a 20 lb tank of propane.