Indoor Caulk recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Riveyman, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Did some remodeling on the bathroom and re-caulked everything with DAP bathroom caulk. Well, noticed that it has completely dried out and cracked. Either from the extreme heat or cold. Probably both.

Anyone with experience recommend something? What was in there before the remodel was real rubbery like. What would that be?

Thanks all

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

3. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Silicone caulk will work best for bathrooms and lasts much longer--it is just harder to clean up and the crap goes everywhere. What I do inside the home (haven't had to do anything with caulk on the inside) is: use masking tape about 1/8 to 1/4" from seem. place a bead just big enough to fill about 1/2 that space. Use finger (with a little Vaseline to prevent drying and cracking of your skin--I prefer the Vaseline over gloves as I like to be able to feel what I am doing) to force into seem and create a good concave surface. then lightly wipe with wet sponge. Remove tape when tacky.

4. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

synkoflex, inside and outside

Adam

5. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I had issues with my shoilet walls separating (only held together by caulk).

Found that construction adhesive (used for gluing shower walls to sheetrock in bathrooms) followed by a bead of silicon (for flexibility) seemed to be the strongest hold.

6. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Thanks everyone,
    We put up the plastic walls in the "shoilet" haha. There was nothing there before. All the caulk I put on to seal in the edges has dried and cracked. I will have to get some silicone caulking and redo it.
    Any recommended brand?