Indoor Winter Storage-things to consider

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by tiltshift, Oct 8, 2021.

1. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

Hey all,

Looking for a winter home for our popup.

I'm sure this may be a hot topic soon considering the good market this year and demand for tent trailers, rvs, and boats, and the increased cost of real estate....
    I tried looking for a sticky topic, but could't find, so here goes....

Last winter we stored in the brother in laws shed, but since he needs the shed, lookin for another option. Lots of old empty barns up here in the heart of Ontario farmland...

Since I have been calling around looking for storage space, I've thought of a few features of a good winter storage facility.
    • Rodent and insect free, or at least minimal rodents...
    • Solid leak free roof(no coverall type tented structures)
    • Price-going rate seems 300 CAD from oct to may
    • Owner liability coverage for facility contents(although we do have insurance)
    • Concrete floor
    • Dry
    • Duration and timing of storage(dont want to get kicked out in march. Up here winter lasts til may!)
    • Do I park and retrieve trailer or does someone else move it?
    • Local(dont want a 2 hour drive to go get it)
    • Dont want storage of items stacked on roof
    • Ability to get in and check up on things(not sure if this is even possible at most facilities)
    Dont need power or heat....since i take battery off and trickle charge.
    Anything else I am missing?
    I may not get everything I want, especially since storage space seems to be a sellers market these days.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That's a pretty specific set of requirements. If you can find it all, it will be optimal storage conditions.

Or, put in some pink on the water lines, yank the battery and set it outside until May. What I do/did in Alaska.

Tarkus, Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Shoo if I had those requirements I would be spending $700+ USD a month. No sir-ree bad enough I have to pay $1800 a year for an outside gravel parking lot with a chain link fence. My current lot although a royal pain and tight to park at least it's solid ground and 40 min from home. It was a two year waiting list just to get this and almost 5 years now. My only requirements was that they allow me to somewhat open the camper to air out. (Though it can't interfere with traffic or get near neighboring campers.) I also wanted access to check it every day if needs be. My last storage lot was 3 hours from home and a huge inconvenience. So at least now I can easily make trips to see the camper to check things. I'm not allowed to make repairs but it's 15 min to a campground open all year. So if repairs need to be made in going camping. With a truck full of tools. I'm lucky to get this for this price. Everything else was so expensive around me.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

When I was a kid, my Dad parked the pup on the backyard patio cause he wasn't about to spend money for parking.
    He ripped down the fence and backed that puppy in, and there it stayed till the next pup adventure. He would reassemble the fence each and every time. We never did back yard BBQs anyway.

Now that I'm a Dad, our pup sits in the open prairie, next to the house.
    Steel roof keeps rain, snow, hail off of it.
    New gaskets, weather stripping, and wire mesh cloth keeps the camper mice out.

5. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

Thanks for the response all! Good to know what everyone else does.

We don't have room for it in our driveway, we dont have a large property, and it's a huge pain to clear the snow off the roof as well as snowblow around it in the driveway.

Just found a place here 15 minutes from where we live.

Indoor storage in an unused agricultural building.

Concrete floor, 160 dollars canadian for november to april.

All we have to do is winterize this week and make sure our insurance is up to date.