Infant Camper Gear?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Babiaca, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

We bought a NTU pop up last year and have only been able to use it a couple times before needing a repair. Now we got it back and I can't wait to get years of use out of it.
    But then I found myself unexpectedly pregnant and am having to rework all my daydreams! This baby will be a camper baby though no matter what! So any advice on best gear to make my life a little easier with our sudden surprise 3 on the road? I am on the lookout for a used pea pod for sleeping and can bring a pack n play for outdoors corralling but would like any other ideas. I didnt get into camping until my other kids were at least toddler size. Thanks!

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that a little bassinet would be good in a camper.

3. Segchris

Segchris Member

My oldest was 11 months when we purchased a popup and my youngest was camping at 8 weeks old. We use a pea pod for the littlest and sleep both side by side in the same bunk. In my experience the little ones require nothing special, mine just love everything about going camping. My oldest wants to help setup the camper, beds, etc. My littlest just loves being outside, we bring a small box of toys and lots of blankets in hopes to keep the little non walking one clean and out of the dirt and mud when we don't get a site with much grass. I would say the best thing we own for the little one, a good baby carrier so my wife can toss the little one on her back and still help setup camp.

4. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Check your local Cabela's Gander Mountain for a bag high chair - Amazon has them too. Caio Baby makes a really cool high chair!

5. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

First of all, congratulations! :)
    I've never actually camped with a newborn, but I think the PeaPod sounds ideal, since it takes up no space at all when not in use and should have a lifespan of a couple years depending on your kid's size, unlike bassinets.
    I don't know how much use you'd get out of an extra pack n play for outdoors... I never found the need myself. If I needed the kids to stay contained I strapped the in the stroller. (A stroller with large wheels and full recline is essential for life, not just camping, IMO)
    An extra-large (or just an extra) patio mat would be handy.
    Definitely a baby carrier. I used both softsided carrier (around the campground) and a frame one with an attached backpack for diapers and snacks (for hiking). I used the stroller a lot when we went to the shower buildings to hold the baby and stuff!
    An inflatable infant bathtub, or just use a small storage tote.
    If your popup doesn't have an outdoor shower, the Nemo Helio shower or a garden pressure sprayer work well for spraying down particularly dirty littles.
    Not really gear, but baby powder helps brush sand off skin easily.

6. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We camp with friends who have 3 younger children (younger then ours), 6, 4, & 3. When their kids were smaller and they still actually do this now, they brought a small 1-2 person tent with them and set it up next to the camper. There they would put in all their toys, books, activities etc and if they just needed some downtime or heck, even just alone time not around each other, then one or two could be napping in the trailer, and the oldest could be in the tent having quiet time (while they were just puttering around the site).
    They found it worked for them and I have seen other families do this as well.

7. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

We started our son camping at one year old. Nothing terribly special we used. For sleeping, we lowered the dinette into the bed position, then removed the cushions. We set up a pack n play on it as a crib. For a high chair, we were given a portable soft high chair that simply clamped onto the campsite picnic table for feeding time. Today our son at 3 is a total outdoor kid, and would way rather be outdoors than in the house watching TV or whatever. Good luck, and congratulations !

8. Segchris

Segchris Member

9. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Well, the absolute best thing with infants is they will adapt to their environment. Keep it simple but safe and you will do just fine.

10. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I bought my PUP when my kid was 6 months old. Wife went out and got a folding high chair and a peapod and he outgrew them in a matter of months. They were nice to have, but not a necessity by any means. Our kid hated the pack-n-play so we just left it at home. By the time he was mobile about the worst thing you could do to him was put him in a cage.

Our current setup is to use bed rails on one of the bunks. It is not as confined as the peapod (he moves around a lot in his sleep) but still prevents him from rolling out of bed in the middle of the night.

Other things that are handy are a large camping rug (Astroturf or one of the woven rugs) to give them a place somewhat free of dirt to crawl around on. We have a woven one and I guess he didn't like crawling around on it with bare knees because he decided to learn to walk on that trip.

Another thing that is nice once they get mobile is some sort of illumination on their feet. We have one of the niteize lights that you clip onto a dog collar. My wife got the great idea to put that on his shoe laces and it made finding him at night a lot easier. The light up shoes are nice but only work if he is moving. If he has stopped to inspect something you probably wouldn't see him. Most of our camping is boondocking so we are usually a fair distance from our neighbors with lots of nature for him to inspect.

Infants are easy. Toddler are a lot more work but a total blast to camp with.

11. westlake ace

westlake ace Member

We went campingwith my inlaws popup at 8 months pregnant and 1 month old. Biggest issues were the marginal ac and lack of foot room we had a rock and play in the dinette bumbo for sitting around including at the table and a carrier. With that under our belt we made sure our camper had real ac plenty of room and the warm shower should be great for washing.