Inflatable mattress?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by ValerieD, Nov 28, 2021.

1. ValerieD

ValerieD New Member

We've just recently gotten our new to us pup and didn't get a chance to use it this summer/fall., but the mattresses, being10 years old are pretty soft and generally un-firm. My husband is considering inflatable mattresses under the standard foam that came with the trailer.
    Anyone have experience with this? Or alternate solution?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

So far I haven't found an inflatable mattress that didn't eventually leak.

tfischer, generok and jmkay1 like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know of some who used inflatable mattress. I personally never had much luck with them. Every morning I always found myself sunk into the mattress and have to reinflate every day. When it’s cold they are extremely cold and you have to put a reflecting layer over the mattress to help keep the cold away from the body. Now with that said, I never tried my inflatable mattress in the camper. Perhaps it would respond better when the environment is not fluctuating between hot/cold so much.
    Personally what I do is add those foam anti fatigue tiles under my mattress. This worked really well for me not feeling the wood underneath me and an added bonus helped keep the cold from seeping in from underneath you. Some other people like to also add an mattress topper on top of the mattress to give the extra layer of comfort. In some cases you may have to remove the mattress topper before you can close the camper up.

generok likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If we had kept our last popup, we had plans to use Thermarest mattresses under the memory foam topper we had on the original foam mattress. I have found that standard air mattresses are cold unless covered with enough bedding, and uncomfortable. We slept on the Thermarest brand for years in the tent, and even on the floor, while visiting family and friends. The nice thing about that type is that they are easy to inflate, have foam and air, and have some adjustablilty for firmness, depending on how much air is added. In all the years we've used them, 30+ at this point, since my husband still uses one backpacking, I think we've had one leak, caused by a rock hole (probably as we rolled it up while breaking camp).

5. p

p Active Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I hate it when my mattress tells me I'm fat and ugly.

Sjm9911 and p like this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

We used air mattresses in our tenting days. Although it sure beat sleeping on the ground (or a thermarest), I sure don't miss having to inflate/deflate them, or waking up in the middle of the night laying on the hard ground anyway because of an inevitable pinhole leak.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I thought of using one when I had the pop up. But I sold it before I bought one. The idea was to use it UNDER the pup mattresses.

9. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When I or someone sleeps on the converted dinette bed, we use a Thermarest pad over the cushions. Frankly I’ve had better luck with the self inflating backpack type mattress’s than a regular air mattress. I used to use a vinyl type air mattress in my Four Wheel Grandby. It did work well till it got a leak. I’ve never had much luck patching them or the patch job lasting long.

Good luck.