Information on converter?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Rich Knack, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Trying to find information on the power converter in my 1978 Rockwood RW0806. Can't seem to find any online, and no manual among the papers that came with the camper. I need to redo some of the wiring, as the battery mount (if there ever was one) and other connections were removed from the tow vehicle connecting cable at some point and replaced with a simple 4-pin flat plug for the outside lights (turn signals, etc.). There is a plug for 15 amp service, but I want to be able to run off battery power as well as 120 volts.

[​IMG]20180602_163106

2. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, I've looked all over the web as well for it based on your picture, I can't find anything either. Show us some pictures of the wiring in the back. The more pictures the better. Take close ups of the stickers so we can read them.

3. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Might have to wait a bit. My fiance and I set it up this weekend so we could start on some repairs but put it down again because it was supposed to rain (needs some canvas work, among other things). Since she lives 60 miles away, and it's easier to set up with two people, it may be a few days before I can set it up again.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to replace it with a new converter.

NMroamer likes this.
  5. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Depends on how much they cost. I would like one with a built in outlet like this one does. Charger, too, maybe. Honestly rather not replace it unless it's necessary, though.

6. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]20180605_195850

The blue and white paired wires go the the ceiling light, by the way. I have no idea what the orange and white pair go to. They head towards the back of the trailer but beyond that...?

7. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

That is ALSO the compartment the 10 gallon potable water tank is supposed to go into, BTW.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Pretty simple, the 3 way switch on the left selects whether to run off battery or AC. The reset button is your resettable circuit breaker for the DC side. Somewhere in the fine print at the bottom it should show amps output at 12v DC.

The metal button on the right is the AC breaker for the single outlet.

White is ground. At the converter itself red should be your battery connection and orange should be the 12 volt circuits for the lights. Then you'll have to trace the battery wire through all those ties and color changes to the tongue.

9. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Getting to the tongue wiring - THAT could be fun. The wiring has been rednecked so that the only thing I can find on the outside is the tail lights and turn signals, which have been spliced into a 4-pin flat plug. The wiring SEEMS to disappear into the trailer but I can't seem to find any trace of it inside, and no idea how to access the wiring behind the marker and other lights. And it ALMOST looks like it is a POSITIVE ground, looking at the lights.

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Incandescent lights don't care which way the current flows but your little transformer probably does.

Easier said than done--You'll have to get under the camper starting where the orange and white wire disappear in your last pic and try to find where the wires drop through the floor. The white wire may be attached to the frame right there with a self tapping bolt. That's ok but the connection may need to be cleaned. If you find the white wire the orange wire may be right there.

If you can't find the wires there it's probably easiest just to run new wires. I'd use 12 gauge AWG, red and white. Drop the wires through the floor as close to the main frame rail as possible. Attach the white wire to the frame with a ring eye terminal and self tapping bolt. Run the red along the frame rail, making sure it's properly supported all the way to the tongue. Connect it with an inline fuse holder and fuse and ring eye terminal to the + post of the battery. Run a short piece of white wire from the - post of the battey to where the white wire from the 4 flat trailer connector connects to the frame.

11. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Found where the 4-lead flat wire goes up into the back of the camper from the plug. There is also a thin, braided ground wire fastened to the frame nearby with a Robertson bit screw. No other wires coming out, though.