inline water filter storage

Mr. Bill

PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
This is both for PUP camping and camping with the BSA.

At a recent camping trip with the PUP, I filled the water tank at the water station. I was right after a big rig and they used an inline water filter. They told me they always do and haven't had to replace the anode yet after 5 years. The water looked clean enough to me but when I filled a pot with water boy was I surprised. The water had a brown tint to it.

At a recent camp out with the Scouts, we needed more water and I sent the boys to the water pump to get it. What came back had some sediment in it. It was okay for washing dishes (we boil the water to get it hot enough and use bleach to sanitize) but I sure wouldn't want to drink it.

So I decided that I will purchase an inline water filter like one of the Camco ones that hook between the water source and the PUP or water jug.

My question: How do you store them between use? [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Do I blow it dry or shake it dry or do I leave water in it or does it matter either way? Do I put it in a bag and seal to prevent bacteria or would that cause it to grow? Do I leave it open to the air and would that cause bacteria to grow? I know my water pitcher says don't let it dry out and always keep water in the tank but the in line ones are made to be occasional use.[/font]
[SIZE=small][/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]I know they are good for a season but what about with Boy Scouts where I go camping 1 weekend every month at a minimum? How long could I use one?[/SIZE][SIZE=small] Is there a number of gallons that would be a better idea?

I don't have the answers but I bet someone on here does or can point me in the right direction.
[/SIZE]

gasmandave

Sep 6, 2011
I believe the small inline filters are seasonal but I have used them for 2 years before. I try and make sure I get as much water out of the filter when I'm done and plug the ends with the caps provided. I always flush them by running water thru the briefly before I fill my fresh water tank just to rinse out any boogers that might be in the filter.

mschepac

South Jersey
Apr 22, 2008
South Jersey
Its probably too late for this info, but what I did....
I bought a whole house filter from HD, and some fittings to convert to garden hoses.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-4-in-Inlet-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH04F/100471282
d5e50349-7487-47d7-b924-568d643dc559_400.jpg

Currently $27, This way I can change the filter element as often as I would like and when my trip is over I unscrew the bottom and dump it out. I added a hook to hang it from one of the latches (when I had a pup) and now it hangs from the frame of my hybrid.
Works great.

gruss

Super Active Member
May 6, 2014
I throw mine in the fridge per the instructions. just shake the excess out real quick and put the plugs in.

, if I fill up the tank I use that, if we have water hookups I use one too. not sure about the anode but I know the built in filter in the camper (which is a PITA to change) still looks pretty new and I'm thinking about removing it.

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
mschepac said:
Its probably too late for this info, but what I did....
I bought a whole house filter from HD, and some fittings to convert to garden hoses.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-4-in-Inlet-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System-GXWH04F/100471282
d5e50349-7487-47d7-b924-568d643dc559_400.jpg

Currently $27, This way I can change the filter element as often as I would like and when my trip is over I unscrew the bottom and dump it out. I added a hook to hang it from one of the latches (when I had a pup) and now it hangs from the frame of my hybrid.
Works great.
I am moving to something like this.