InnerTube Question..

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by kb0nly, Jul 27, 2007.

1. kb0nly

kb0nly New Member

I was getting the PUP ready for its first outing this weekend when i noticed the spare was a different size than the tires on the PUP.. That's stupid i thought, so now i'm going to fix it.

The PUP has 5.30x12 LRC and the spare has 4.80x12 LRB. I called a local tire place and they can get me a 5.30x12 LRC tire for about $30 mounted and balanced using the rim that the 4.80 is on now, not bad i thought, but they also said i need a new innertube for the new size and thats about $14.

I thought maybe the innertube would be the same for both sizes but i guess not. So that's my question, i thought a 12" innertube is universal between all the sizes?

1991 Skamper 245C
    1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
    Dad
    Mom
    Three Kids!

2. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

The tires on my pup are 5.30x12 LRC 6 ply rating.
    They are tubeless and have no inner tube.
    There may be a difference in the tubes for a 4.80 and a 5.30 but I doubt it.
    Make sure you even need one. Are your tires “Tubeless” or “Tube Type”?

Happy Camping!

'05 Silverado TV
    '03 Skamper PU
    Grand Prairie, TX

3. kb0nly

kb0nly New Member

I had to go check since you asked. Your right, they are tubeless! Weird, wonder why the dealer mentioned the cost of a innertube?

I will have to call them back and ask why they are putting a tube in a tubeless tire.. lol

Getting everything packed to leave here in a few hours, the whole family is excited! Just wish i had a correct size spare, but its a short local trip and the tires on the PUP are less than a year old so all should be well.

Just don't like venturing out with anything of mine without a spare.

1991 Skamper 245C
    1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
    Dad
    Mom
    Three Kids!