Inside the PUP. Is it really just for sleeping and storage?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Richard, Jun 11, 2011.

1. 6campingneals

6campingneals New Member

We do the same thing, especially on those near 100 degree days. We will either play a game or watch a movie. But in the Spring and Fall we try to keep the kids out as much as possible, with 6 of us it can get a little too cozy inside.

2. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

In Illinois, it seems like the weather is always lousy. It's either freezing cold or miserably hot. We get a very short window in autumn that is beautiful. And, it seems like the past several years our springtime has been wet and cold and then it turns hot almost immediately with no mild weather in between. I don't want to forego camping because of weather, so that's why we stopped tent camping - it's either terribly humid or we were getting attacked by torrential rains/storms in spring. So, we bought a camper and made sure it had air and heat. I may be a pansy, but I can sleep in comfort at night. [:D]

If we hang out inside kind of depends on the weather. It seems like the pup is too small and not very comfortable to sit in for long periods. Our windows are tinted really dark and it's hard to see outside, so I start feeling a little closed in after a while. We also get bored. If it's really, really hot we go inside and take a nap or eat (we never cook inside though) or we choose a CG that we can go play in the river or lake during the day to stay cool. I am better at staying outside if it's chilly as long as the sunshine is somewhat warm. Otherwise, we are outside the whole time.

3. Hip-Pocket

Hip-Pocket New Member

Like others said, there is no wrong way to camp! Just get out there and have fun, your way... :)

Hubby and I spend the daytime hours either fishing or hiking, but come evening, we like to relax inside the camper with music, perhaps read the newspaper or read brochures we picked up that day about hiking trails etc. A game of Scrabble is usually played or cards, dominoes or Yahtzee. Sometimes a relaxing glass of wine or a beer or two. Then up the next day to enjoy the outdoors again.

Yeah, it's a hard life... [:D]

4. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

I've had very few occasions where I had to be inside the PUP, but when I have friends camping with me, we always find ourselves a couple times a day sitting inside the PUP for a visit. In the evening it's fun to put a DVD on the laptop and chill out for awhile before calling it a day.

I enjoy nothing more than to get Gus, the Wanderin' Scotty, go inside the PUP, grab a book or magazine and read for awhile in the relative quiet. Usually it's only a matter of minutes I'm having the best nap of my life, tho. [:D]

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We prefer to be outside, but during really humid weather it is soo very nice to be able to go inside the cool of the air conditioned pup and cool down, maybe take a nap or read, play a game, whatever. It is your pop up, it is your camping experienced, you are free to enjoy yourself how ever you please. As manfromvan says, there is no right or wrong way to camp. Its all good.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

For us, it depends on the trip. We prefer to be outside, but our reasons to get a pup included a place to sleep off the ground (esp. for the trip still on the bucket list, to the Olympics) and a place to be inside, including cooking, if it is buggy, too windy or rainy. Otherwise, we are hiking a lot of the day and spend about as much time outside as when ground camping.
    On our trip to Utah a couple of months ago, we ended up being in the pup more than usual in the evenings because of rain, cold (we had power so had the heater) and tent worms. This weekend, we cooked in the pup as the wind was enough to make dealing with it unpleasant (have done it many times, but it is nice to have an alternative) and we retreated from gnats and tiny flies a few times.

7. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

Great thread. We are usually "out and about" during the daytime, especially if there is water close by; but the best time inside the camper is nighttime with a new book, any topic of conversation that elicits the sharing of new ideas, and, of course SATELLITE RADIO. Thanks for posting; I'm curious to hear the posts of others - always great reading.

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

kitphantom, if you go to the Olympics in the July to early September period you will probably not encounter any rain. That's the dry season. Be sure to go to the Hoh rainforest, BTW. Also, even in the "height" of summer, the Olympics are cool. I've needed a jacket to sit outside in August evenings in the Sol Duc CG and over on the coast at Mora CG.

9. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

See the umm....how do you "do it" in a pup thread [LOL]

10. sharonscb@gmail.com

sharonscb@gmail.com New Member

Spending time with your kids and building those memories is priceless. It doesn't matter if it's inside or out, but I'd bet its easier to do with them all together inside. Mine always wanted to do different things outdoors.

11. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

12. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We are in and out... but mostly out, unless it's cool and/or raining and we want to get dry and warm up. I like to sit by a campfire until late at night if the weather conditions are right because it's such a treat to have one. Often it seems like it's either raining and the fire doesn't burn well, or we can't have one because of a fire ban. (And we definately do put the fire out before retiring).

13. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Wow, sounds like there are quite a few of us that likethe insides of our pups from time to time. I was out in mine in the driveway this afternoon, just to re-live a few camping memories, and to plan the next round of Mods. Thanks for the great feedback.

14. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

[::)] this sounds just like us!! I love having my comforts inside.

15. Richard

Hounddog, since my wife doesn't camp, I figure I've got no business reading that forum.
    [:O] [?:~{] [LOL] [:)O]

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I enjoy the inside of my PUP immensely! A few meds I'm on don't allow me to be in direct sunlight for very long so I also have an odd variety of hats!! If there's a breeze, I'm all about snoring outside in the shade! No breeze, and I'm floppin on the couch inside! [:O]

I agree with MR....inside, outside, on the roof....it's all camping to me!

[:D]

17. Richard

RotnMom are there photos of you in these odd hats while camping? Just how odd are we talking about?

18. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

I think this is a matter of choice as well, but for DW and I, we actually spend very little time in the Pup while camping. Twice a year we go on a weekend "Camp" with about 8 other couples from church. We spend lots of time sitting in a circle in the common area talking, worshipping, or just plain having fun. (And at the risk of hijacking the thread, you are welcome to come to our "church service" if youd like, but we do keep it quiet enough not to disturb others but loud enough to let others know what we are doing if they are interested in joining.)THis past MM weekend, someone even brought a bunch of water guns and a lot of people got soaked sitting around in the circle! See, even us old folk can still have fun!
    But, to answer the question, our Pup is basically used for sleeping and showering when we camp. Most of the other time is spent outside if weather allows.

19. Richard

Greywuff, If I run into you guys at a campground, count me in on a worship service that includes a watergun fight. Church doesn't have to be boring or in a building.

20. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Amen, my brother!!!