Install Battery on Jayco 12 UDST

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Gjburkey, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

So I got my PUP only a month and a half ago. It does not have a battery. According to the book, it is "wired for a battery, but it is a dealer installed option". What does this mean? It has the angle iron on the hitch for a battery, but there are no terminals wired in, so obviously I'd have to do that. Can I just hook a battery to the "always hot" wire that is right alongside the brake light/turn signal/ running lights wiring? And ground to the frame? Does this camper have the inverter or converter already? (can you tell I'm not very literate when it comes to electricity?)

If anyone has this trailer and can tell me where to look or give me any pointers that would be great.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

3. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

The trailer does have interior lights. I don't have the trailer where I can pop it up, but now I'm wondering if I haven't seen something like what you linked in the back of the trailer near the furnace.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

The next time you open the trailer up, look for a converter. It should look something like the link I sent. You could still have the converter without a battery but things would only work when plugged into shore power.

5. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

[​IMG]

So I crawled into the trailer, and this is what I have. So what does it do? I know, I can Google it.

Back to the original question, can I just hook up a battery and everything will work? Does this converter charge the battery on shore power?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

6. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

A Google search is helping me through this. So it does charge the battery (or it will once one is installed).

I'm still not sure how all this works. Is everything in my trailer 12 volt, and the converter just takes 120 AC and turns it into 12V? Or is everything 120,and the converter turns the 12V into 120 when running on battery power? Or is everything wired to run on 12V AND 120?

HELP!

Meanwhile, I'll go read Google some more.

7. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

I keep seeing something about an in line fuse by the battery. But there are fuses in the converter, right? So what does the in line fuse do that the others aren't?

8. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

The inline fuse protects the wire from the battery to the converter.

As for what is what, 12v items, lights, water pump, etc work wit the battery or the converter converting 120 to 12v. 120 items work only when plugged in, not from battery

9. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

That makes sense. Thanks.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Yak is correct. You will have 12 volt items work either on the battery alone or while hooked to shore power. Your 120 volt AC outlets will only work when on shore power.

Without a battery, your converter is supplying 12 volts to the lights, pump, etc. when plugged into shore power. Nothing will work without a battery or shore power.

Your current unit has been discontinued but may still work fine. While plugged into shore power, try turning on your interior lights, water pump, etc. If they work, your converter does. Now it may not charge the battery. I'm not very familiar with that unit but I do know it doesn't have a very efficient charging system.

Replacing it is easy to do and can be done for less than $125.

11. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

All my interior stuff works on shore power. The main question I now have is how much battery I need.

As of now, I would like to be able to spend three days on battery power without charging, running water and furnace as necessary. How big a battery should I be looking for? Do I have reasonable expectations, or is this asking too much?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=56217.0

We've gone for 10 days without a problem with having to charge the battery. Now this was in the summer and we really didn't use much other than interior lighting which has been converted to LED. The furnace will use a lot of battery power. Our most recent trip was over Labor Day weekend and we did use the furnace all 3 nights. What we do is to run it for 10-15 minutes before going to bed and the camper stays warm enough for us.

Utilize the above thread and calculate what you think you will use. FYI that I'm using a battery with 140 Ah (Group 24) from Interstate.

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I have the same camper and have a battery hooked up, so if you have any questions, please ask. There should be a white and black wire that are in the tongue that go from the battery back to the converter. The black wire needs to have an inline fuse on it. Basically you just hook the black to the + and white to the - side of the battery. It will run your 12V while on battery and the battery will charge while on shore power from the converter. I have a group 27 deep cycle in a battery box on the tongue mounted in between the rails. I can go 10 days without power running the lights and so on just like MileHigh does (we also have LED bulbs inside.

With a battery, what you are asking to do is completely doable and the nice thing is you can use some sites that don't have elec. and you will still have most of your creature comforts.

14. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

Great information, thank you very much! Not sure that I'm going to actually get a battery this fall, I may just wait until next Spring unless we see we are actually going to get out again and would use it. (The camper is in the garage, and hasn't been winterized yet just in case we get to go out once more)

15. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

All you really need is a battery box and the battery. The wires for hook up should already be there. If I remember, I will take a pic with my phone and post it on here for you to see. The 12UDST is a nice camper with lots of room. We have been all over the country in it.

16. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

I'm quite sure that I don't have terminals there, but I know that the wiring is there, I'll just have to splice in the fuse and terminals. It just looks like this camper never ever had a battery.