Installed a new AC

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Jeep Guy, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

The Coleman Mach AC on my 2008 Starcraft bit the dust last October. We were camping this last October and I heard a loud pop then smelled a burnt electrical smell. I turned the AC off. When we got home, I took the roof top unit apart and found the capacitor insides melted and the top exploded off. I replaced the capacitor and the started but the compressor never would start up again.
    Now that it is warming up again, I bit the bullet and bought a new Coleman Mach 3 Plus roof top unit and a new interior control panel. The installation was pretty easy, but time consuming. I had everything completed in about 3 hours. The total cost for everything with shipping was $675. We live and camp in Louisiana and it would be unbearable to camp without the AC in the summer. For us that is April to October.

Byrd_Huntr and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Can you give a rundown of the steps you took to do this?

3. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

The first thing to do is open the camper and remove the inside control panel. There are 4 screws holding the plastic control panel cover on. After removing the plastic cover, the control panel itself that contains the thermostat and fan control switch has to be removed. It is also held on by 4 small screws. Once those screws are removed, you unplug the wire harness from the rooftop AC unit and un-wire the power cord from the control panel. There are just three wires connected with wire nuts. Remove those and the control panel is removed.
    Next, there is a square 14" metal flange in the ceiling opening that holds the rooftop AC unit to the camper. There are 4 long (about 7") bolts that screw into the rooftop unit. Remove those long bolts and the metal flange will come off. There is a dense foam gasket between the roof and the AC unit. On my camper, that foam gasket had double sided tape on both sides and the AC unit was stuck very well to the roof. I had to use a pocket knife to cut through the foam gasket all the way around the opening. Once the foam gasket was cut loose, the rooftop AC unit was free to be removed. I had to scrape the old gasket pieces off of the roof.
    Now, I had to close the camper back up and lower the top. I put a moving blanket on the roof and got the AC unit on top of the blanket. I then slid it over to the side of the camper and my wife and I were able to get it off of the roof. We then picked up the new unit and put it on the camper roof and slid it to the middle of the camper over the roof opening. I found it easier to remove the plastic AC cover as it just made it less bulky and easier to handle.
    Once the new AC unit is on the roof, open the camper back up and while inside, adjust the AC unit location so they new foam gasket is sitting squarely centered over the hole in the roof. Then just do the reverse of what you did in the removal process. Put the new 14" square mounting metal flange in the hole and install the 7" long bolts. Tighten those bolts enough to compress the foam gasket some so that it conforms to the shape of the roof and seals the opening. Then install the control panel by reinstalling the main power cord with the wire nuts and plug in the wire harness from the rooftop AC unit. The control panel screws back onto the ceiling with 4 screws. After the control panel is in place, install the plastic control panel cover. It just mounts to the ceiling on with 4 screws. Then put on the control knows and you are done.

Like I had said in my first post, this is not hard, it was just time consuming.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Perfect, thanks. Future A/C installers/removers/gasket changers will thank you.