Installed brake controller but showed no connection.

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by hpdad, Aug 14, 2010.

1. hpdad

hpdad New Member

Installed Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller. Everything went fine. Connected, powered up. It showed N.C (no connection). Connected trailer but still showing N.C.

Got down under trailer and checked, seemed the wire (been installed by P.O) were fine. What could be wrong?

Left, right, and tail lights are working fine.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sorry I have to ask an odd question ...... do you have a blue brake wire to the back of the drums? and what is your TV to PUP connector look like.

3. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

First thing I would do is check all your fuses in the TV and make sure they are good and that they are there. (I am assuming you used the "plug and play" vehicle specific adapter for hooking up the controller). Some vehicles need to have a fuse installed for the brake controller to work, some only if you want the TV to provide power to the trailer, and some you only have to plug in. I am not familar with how Honda does things, but it is something to check.

Beyond that it would be a matter of checking your grounds, your power wires, and the plugs themselves to make sure that you have good connections all the way around and/or are not shorting out anywhere. A multi meter or even a simple 12v test light will help in this. Also make sure you have good solid connections on both the controller and where you plugged it into the TV.

4. hpdad

hpdad New Member

Yes, I have blue wire runs the about three feet the connected to another wire. Followed the wire I see them connect to the both drums.

The blue wire from 7 pin connection

[​IMG]

The blue wire connected to another wire. I am pointing at the blue wire right before the connection.

[​IMG]

After connection
    [​IMG]

Before connect to two drums

[​IMG]

To the drum
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the blur pictures.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The brake controller is not "seeing" the resistance path to ground. (magnets). Check for power at the trailer connector with a test light using the manual override switch on the controller.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTfmXCZk3og
    If OK check at the drums, and the ground wire of the brakes to the PUP frame.

6. hpdad

hpdad New Member

I did the test but in different way. What I did was use circuit tester on 7-pole blade, brake leg (attached left pic) and asked my son stepped on brake pedal. Light was on when he stepped on.

Right now I just want to identify the problem is from the trailer or from I installed brake controller on my TV. If the way I tested above was right way (is it ?), then I am pretty sure the problem is from trailer.

[​IMG]

7. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Brake controller goes through (2) Brake Controller!! (7) will get you the BRAKE LIGHT.
    Check that there is a continuous circuit in the (2) BLUE wire. All the way from brake controller to Pup brakes.
    Are brakes grounded to chassis, and is (1) grounded on both TV and Pup side? Presume that it is if getting brake light.

Controller simply sends varying voltage to magnets in brakes.

8. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

If you are showing power coming off the TV plug at the brake pin when you step on the brakes then the problem is with the trailer somewhere.

IMHO I would start with getting rid of those scotch locks. Those things are notorious for providing bad connections. The only time I use them is if I am splicing into a wire where I can't do it any other way. You will be better off cutting those wires, stripping the ends, twisting them together and taping them up than using those scotch locks.

9. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

Plus 1 on loosing the 3M Scotchlocks. Maybe bad ground from TV to PUP. I can't see both magnets being bad. Somewhere you have a bad connection, or connections either on the ground side or the magnet side from from the blue wire. The bad connection should be before the wire splits to the individual brake drum feed. On my P2 even if one magnet is connected to the controller, it will show up as connected to tv, as it has enough resistance. Inline crimp connectors with heat shrink tubing over them or the heat shrinkable crimps work better than the scotchlocks. I would first check for bad ground between TV and PUP. Get rid of all scotchlocks and wire nuts and check and clean the chaisis ground of the ground side of the brake magnets.

10. flash82

flash82 Member

Since you said you got the light when your son stepped on brake pedal it sounds like it's the trailer end. When we bought/picked up ours we had a similar problem, after scratching our heads for 15 minutes nad before tearing through all the wires we simply bent the tabs on the 7 pin ever so slightly and the controller finally gave us a connection. It MIGHT be that simply.
    Rob