Installed roof support braces for a/c

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by smoreking, Apr 29, 2012.

1. smoreking

smoreking Member

My 2004 Rockwood already had support molded into the roof but I don't think they were enough. I had a dip and I was worried that it would get worse or pool water. I ordered braces from rv dealer and installed them myself. Here is before picture:
    [​IMG] here are the braces:
    [​IMG] installed photo
    http://he/2.2.3 (CentOS)
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.10
    Content-Length: 52
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

OKAY: http://img.tapatalk.com/603d938a-48fb-3956.jpg finished result
    [​IMG]

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Good job! Preventative measures taken before a real problem exists gives much peace of mind, doesn't it?

It also can save tons of headaches and cost down the road.

3. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

Did the braces go inside the roof? Mind if I ask for a ballpark cost?

I need to get some support inside my roof as it's totally sagging and scary, but I'm avoiding starting the whole process, including research, because it seems overwhelming and costly.

4. smoreking

smoreking Member

CampingCindy, The cost was 61.00 for the braces plus 27.00 shipping to my home. I live in a really small town so we don't have a dealer here. If you ordered from local dealer, you could pick it up and avoid the shipping. I removed the a/c to allow the roof to go to normal position while installing the braces so I also replaced a/c gasket at cost of 21.00. It was pretty easy to do. I held the brace while my wife drilled hole for bolt, once I bolted that side we went to other side and pushed up on the end of the arched brace, drilled another hole, and bolted it in. I don't think you have to remove a/c to do this, but it would be harder to push the roof up to shape with the extra weight on there.

5. smoreking

smoreking Member

Just realized, I can't see one of my pics. Here is a pic of the braces installed inside the roof on each side of a/c.
    http://he/2.2.3 (CentOS)
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.10
    Content-Length: 52
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

OKAY: http://img.tapatalk.com/603d938a-be71-1d4b.jpg I pulled curtain down and bolted right through sideboard
    [​IMG]

6. bonusbuilt1950

bonusbuilt1950 New Member

Can you tell me the length of the braces? They look like they'd work in most any pop up. I need a width of 83 inches. I don't have ac, bu8t my roof sags and I want to get it back to normal before I put the Elastomeric paint coating on it.

Barry

7. mdigby

mdigby New Member

looks good. The saying goes... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

8. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

Is there any curve to them? I'm wondering if a 2x4 would achieve the same result? I don't have an AC, just a damaged roof, and nobody good and affordable to fix it up right.

9. smoreking

smoreking Member

Barry, I will have to measure them and get back to you tomorrow. I think you are right about them fitting a lot of different models. Yes Cindy, they do have a curve in them. I would say anything you could use to give your roof some support if sagging would be better than nothing.

10. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

I don't mind spending more money to do it right (as right as I can without tearing the roof apart that is) I just wanted to make sure there was some sort of curve.

Thanks!

Good job being proactive, you don't want your roof ending up looking like mine!

[​IMG]

11. smoreking

smoreking Member

yeah, I can see you definitely have a problem. The braces are made to curve in an upward direction. If you used them, you would have to get the ceiling pushed up to level. Good luck in whatever you try.

12. smoreking

smoreking Member

Barry, the width of the braces is 83". Also where the two ends of the brackets bolt on there are slots so there is minor adjustment.

13. bonusbuilt1950

THey look like they'd do the job for me. Too bad the RV places I've been to all give me a blank stare when I ask. No one seems to advertise them online when I search. The Viking people were not any help either. I may have to improvise. I've even thought of using metal fence posts for wire fencing. Taking off the flat piece near the end and removing the hooks. Painting them white and making side brackets. We.ll see..........

Barry

14. smoreking

smoreking Member

Barry, I don't have any part numbers, but if you call this phone number and ask for Martha I'm sure she can help you. She asked for my vin number and called me back with a price later that day. If you really want a set I'm sure she will help and ship them to you....Bankston RV Huntsville, AL. (256-533-3102).

15. StoutHokie

StoutHokie New Member

Thanks for the Info Smoreking! Looks great.

16. bonusbuilt1950

OK, let me call her................

Thanks,
    Barry

17. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

looks great, I am going to call my dealer today. I would rather spend the money and get these. Thanks for sharing!

18. cfmx

cfmx New Member

That looks great!

I would like to do the same for our Fleetwood camper which also has a slight dip in the roof. The bar looks identical.
    I called the local Rockwood dealer and told him I have a Rockwood camper (because I know I wouldn't get the time of day if I told him it was for a Fleetwoood). He asked if we bought the camper thru LazyDay Rv and I said no. Because we of that he said Rockwood wouldn't allow him to lookup parts w/out the last 4 digits of the VIN. Sounds crazy to me. Why would they need a VIN number to sell parts??
    Anyone willing to share last 4 digits of VIN? Along w/ model number. [?:~{]
    I would like to buy local but may be forced to have it shipped. We have the AC unit already off the camper getting ready to do roof work. Would be a great time to add another support.

[​IMG]

19. smoreking

smoreking Member

I guess I should post that the dealer I named above with the telephone number is where I got my braces, but I have since been messaged that Martha is no longer available and the other parts personnel have been unable to help some.
    I think that if anyone needs these braces they can be found by calling a few different dealers and just asking for them. I think they are pretty universal in lenth and would likely fit many different brands.

20. Tracker51187

Tracker51187 New Member

If so many people have this problem, why don't they install them at the factory?