Installed Sway Control

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jeepster04, Aug 15, 2021.

1. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Around a month ago, I pulled our pup on the interstate with my 04 Liberty for the first time. Before that, it was always on back roads with low speeds where sway just isn't an issue. I'm not exactly sure what was causing the sway as it wasn't what I would think was normal sway. Trucks passing me and even me quickly moving the steering wheel didnt cause any sway. Typically the sway would occur when I topped a hill and let off the throttle, the rear end would get twitchy.... Higher speeds made this worse of course... I tried to stay under 70mph... I've checked out the suspension as good as I can, even replaced the rear lower control arms and I have also ordered a custom made rear upper control arm that eliminates the rubber bushings since those are known to wear out... They are cracked, but when I put a pry bar on them, they appear to be intact/not torn. Its not looking like its going to arrive before I leave for my next trip though...

Anyway, I decided to install the curt sway control since its cheap and somewhat easy to install. I really dont like drilling holes in the frame, but what can you do. I decided to just weld the tab on my 4" drop hitch instead of buying the expensive adjustable setup. Also installed an aluminium transmission pan b/c it looks cool and Im hoping it will help with trans temps.

Hopefully this will solve the issue! I imagine this is meant for larger campers, so I shouldn't need to tighten it up much at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xxxapache likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No, thats ment for and came installed on a lot of pop ups. Ot works well, just be careful backing up. You may need to release the friction or take it off. Good luck. And some campers sway more then others. Make sure you stuff is balanced inside, and you have enough weight on the tounge.

3. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

I plan on going to the cat scales before hitching up and after, just to see exactly what the tongue weight is. It should be fine since the camper only has camping chairs in it and theyre right over the axle. With the stuff in the front storage compartment, I imagine it may be a bit tongue heavy if anything.

Yeah, I'll have to check the clearances since this Jeep has a very tight turning radius. Even while going forward, I'm curious if it'll max it out.