installing a car stereo system in a pup

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by jb, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jb

jb New Member

I'd like to install a car stereo in my new to us 98 Coleman/Fleetwood Casa Grande...Any advise, ie power, design,do's and don'ts etc

2. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

Re: insalling a car stereo system in a pup

That sounds like a great idea. I know that someone on the site has done that and had outdoor speakers.
    I've considered doing that with ours. We would have to sacrifice one of the cupboard spaces and use a piece of hardwood to face it. Don't know where we'd put in speakers.
    Still in the planning stage though. Working on other things right now.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just may sure that you will able to control it easily. A car radio mounted on a cabinet front maybe hard to operate and see. Plan carefully. The PO of our PUP had install a very nice CD player, but the knobs buttons were so small it was impossible to use. I replaced it with a radio with the older style two knobs setup and is much better.

4. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

I guess that's the prob with PUPs, even the HWs, everything is at waist level at best. I want to have both. Radio to check local weather and CD player for music. Probably just bring a portable this year. Too many other PUP projects going on.
    Hey, the small car stereo place by my folks has a Jensen 2 speaker system installed in your car for $89. Wonder if I pulled up with my PUP how much they'd charge? [LOL]

5. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

Get one with a remote. Then there is no bending, and you may be able to operate it from outside.

A quick search found this unit. Completely hidden, no line of site needed, and a 40 Ft range.
    http://vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm

6. beefybean

beefybean New Member

I'm looking at similar. I want an AUX input and a remote. Amazon has some car radios that fit the ticket for under $50. Then some Dual outdoor speakers for around $30. You can upgrade the stereo for HD radio, iPod control, etc.. All I want is radio and input for an mp3 player and eventually audio output on a DVD player or PC for better sound.

In mounting it, it appears that you also need a generic dash mount box. Search on Univeral DIN pocket. Amazon has a bunch of choices. Crutchfield, etc.. That "should" give you the anchor and cover the imperfections in your cut out. They come with trim plates for various vehicles. On looking at Metra brand, I noticed that the universal had many of the same plates as what was listed for older American cars.

I plan on mounting mine in the power center, over the fuse box. 12V power right there. The remote will access it fairly easily.
    Run speakers to the storage on either side of the PUP by one bunk end. Either pull the speakers out on set up, or plug them in, then maybe clip to an upright, or on the edge of the bunk. Can also look at speaker jacks (waterproof) outside, for outside speakers. Yep, someday when I have time. And not like you can't hear the things when they're playing inside anyway.

I figure I can get everything for about $75. I have some speaker wire. As you add outlets and doo dads, it will go up. And of course, as you upgrade the quality.

Crutchfield can also probably answer the install questions on the applicability of the box. I haven't gotten to the stage to validate my design.

7. jjsul

jjsul New Member

Where are you planning to put the antenna and how are you going to get an effective ground for it?

8. kingsrider

kingsrider New Member

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

There goes the nice quiet campground. [:(]

10. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip New Member

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Where are you going to mount the subwoofer boxes, and will the power from the battery really be enough to power a 2,000-watt or greater amplifier? I think you'll likely need shore power to really produce vision-blurring, chest compressing bass that you can still clearly hear when you go to the comfort station in the adjoining loop. But if you're boondocking, you probably won't need more than 140db capability.

12. wildlucky4me

wildlucky4me New Member

Now you have me thinking! I just have a portable "iGroove" by Klipsch that I pull out for the iPod (not too loud Raycfe!!!... in fact, others around us OFTEN ask us to crank it up a bit when they hear our camping playlist, young and old alike)... but yes, you always have to consider your neighbors when you are playing music at a campground.

I kind of like the idea of having something built in..... hummm....

13. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Sorry, I'm a little lat to this thread. One VERY important thing to consider is that your converter has filtered DC output. Since your camper is a '98, that's not very likely. I wish someone had advised me of that when I installed my first system. I smoked a really nice Alpine amp by connecting it to an unfiltered converter.

ANY sensitive electronics will require filtered DC output to be safe. That's not to say they will be damaged immediately, but it will happen inevitably. Up to 2000, it's a pretty safe bet that your converter does not provide filtered output, but consult your manual to be sure. For the next 3-4 years it's possible, but not guaranteed. Since 2003-2004, it's a pretty safe bet.

If you don't plan on replacing your converter, then you will have to wire a stereo directly to you battery, not the converter.