Installing a Coleman Vanity Mate

nancyanddan

Super Active Member
Dec 2, 2011
Mellow52 said:
Nancy I wish that I read your post before I did call back. I spoke to the same lady that told me there was none yesterday. I asked her to please check again but could sense her annoyance with me. Anyway she called me back saying they do have some available but for $80. I then mentioned the $10 price and she told me that is also available but without hardware so I ordered one aiming to McGuyver my own hardware. Did your come with hardware for the $10 price?
Wow, it really seems the woman you spoke with was totally unhelpful. Did you ask for Brian Ellis in Parts? When I talked to him, he confirmed the VM came with all the hardware that would fit our Sedona. For a whole $10 (plus shipping, which came to $40 from Ontario BC Canada to Redondo Beach, CA US).

zuley

Jun 7, 2008
McPhails had a clear out table during their open house and were selling them for 10 bills a piece complete with hardware. Don't know how many they had.

Mellow52

May 2, 2012
Nancy I only saw your message after I called back today so did not know to ask for Brian Ellis. Anyway the hardware looks easy to duplicate from the post picture. Thank you for your help and advice.

Zuley jip that is what the lady told me that it was from the "clear out table" but said no hardware, lets see what arrives.

nancyanddan

Super Active Member
Dec 2, 2011
Mellow52 said:
Nancy I only saw your message after I called back today so did not know to ask for Brian Ellis. Anyway the hardware looks easy to duplicate from the post picture. Thank you for your help and advice.

Zuley jip that is what the lady told me that it was from the "clear out table" but said no hardware, lets see what arrives.
You're very welcome. Hopefully the parts list and photos will aid in getting what you need to do the installation.

However, you may want to try and talk to Brian, tell him the situation, and see if he might send you the hardware. You never know... :)

Mellow52

May 2, 2012
Well it arrived today so I am excited to instal it after work. The hardware was included and it is 100% complete. One of the down post has a VERY slight dent in it, hardly noticeable and a paint scuff in the same area. I will respray the entire unit before mounting. This had to be an earlier version of the vanity because the shelving layout is not as nice as yours. I have two shelves at the bottom with the towel rail at the top. I can exchange the bottom shelf with the top towel rack but then it is so close to the ceiling you could not fit a thing in there. I am going to re drill holes for it so that it sits just above the mirror same as yours. I will also drill the toothbrush holes slightly bigger as it is now no toothbrush will fit.

I paid $10 for the vanity and $35 for shipping form Canada to NJ. I will probably replace the mirror with a real one in the future. The one in there now is not bad but does have a slightly distortion in the reflection, it is very clear just looks a little like a fun house mirror.

mnebinger

Livin' The Dream!
Jul 22, 2012
And in case you were wondering, the towel rack on mine has a wing nut on one end so you can pull it out and stick a roll of paper towels on it. That also holds our toothbrushes and meds.

Greg D Azman

Sep 9, 2011
I ordered one from a guy on eBay. Listed as new. Got it, it was missing parts, look like it had previously been installed, had some plastic part that was not part of the vanity mate, and no instructions. He has 1 more that he can scavenge parts off so hopefully it all works out.
When mounting the bracket to lock the vanity mate in the up position, do you place a nylon grommet between the bracket and the roof?
Also, I looked in the manuals on this site (thanks to all!) and saw the Camper Caddy Install. It mentioned several kinds of roofs. How do I know what mine is? I have a 1997 Cheyenne but the roof was replaced- has metal tracks and what appears to be aluminum over it.
Thank you for your time.

ken in md

Jul 19, 2010
Just got mine from McPhails and guess what, no hardware. It looks like some you got your $10 Vanity Mate with hardware! It also had a rusty wingnut on the towel bar, so I must have gotten a scavenged one.

I can make something work, but I'd rather have the original parts. I am going to call them tomorrow.

Don and Beth

May 12, 2017
Colorado
I know this is a really old thread, but here's hoping one of you sees it. We took the Vanity Mate out of a 2003 Coleman Cheyenne and want to install it in our "new" 2007 Fleetwood Cheyenne. Tried screws, but they stripped out while towing. Can someone tell me the correct length of rivets to use to attach this to the ceiling?

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I know this is a really old thread, but here's hoping one of you sees it. We took the Vanity Mate out of a 2003 Coleman Cheyenne and want to install it in our "new" 2007 Fleetwood Cheyenne. Tried screws, but they stripped out while towing. Can someone tell me the correct length of rivets to use to attach this to the ceiling?
If nobody gets back to you in the next week or so, I will. I have a "new in box" Vanity mate including the rivets waiting to be installed, but I don't have it at home - Hope to get it done next weekend, so I will let you know

Don and Beth

May 12, 2017
Colorado
Thank you, Eric! I found these on Amazon US - looks like the same item, but at a better price (just in case anyone in the US is looking). I'll run it all by my husband who's in charge of the actual installation, but I think we'll be in business again! When we got our previous pop-up, I thought the Vanity Mate was a bit odd, but found out that we really liked the extra storage for small items, so we took it out to reinstall in our "new" used trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/YYST-Water-T...TF8&psc=1&refRID=3FZPD0NC42HTENAG69SW

Don and Beth

May 12, 2017
Colorado
I'm happy to report that these rivets installed easily and have held well over some very bumpy forest roads, so I do recommend them if you need to hang a vanity mate, or anything else, from a Fleetwood/Coleman ceiling.

Cydnew

Jun 22, 2021
Watch eBay. Occasionally they show up for reasonable prices, but they can get expensive.

We ended up using an over the door vanity for dorms and an expandable over the sink dish drying organizer instead of the Vanity Mate. I think I like it better than the vanity mate because we end up with more storage and the heavy things are not hanging from the ceiling.

This sink organizer is quite similar to ours. It does have a hook that holds the paper towels on the side. When we pack up, it fits perfectly in the floor between the galley and the other cabinet.

And this is similar to our "vanity," except ours is half the length. I created it from pockets we had, and an unbreakable travel shaving mirror from Amazon.

The po had attached cable running above the curtain valance track by looping it around the screws. They had actually hung curtains with it, but we replaced those and left the cable.
That is what we hung the vanity pockets from. It also comes in handy for recharging solar lights, and pockets for our water bottles as well.

Attachments

• E5DD29BB-F749-4DA5-ACFD-3DF26E81FB7D.jpeg
    E5DD29BB-F749-4DA5-ACFD-3DF26E81FB7D.jpeg
    819.5 KB · Views: 17
  • AAD68BE1-743C-4160-9CDB-5A42547878AC.png
    AAD68BE1-743C-4160-9CDB-5A42547878AC.png
    642.7 KB · Views: 17

brooklynsboonkey

Apr 28, 2022
Watch eBay. Occasionally they show up for reasonable prices, but they can get expensive.

We ended up using an over the door vanity for dorms and an expandable over the sink dish drying organizer instead of the Vanity Mate. I think I like it better than the vanity mate because we end up with more storage and the heavy things are not hanging from the ceiling.

This sink organizer is quite similar to ours. It does have a hook that holds the paper towels on the side. When we pack up, it fits perfectly in the floor between the galley and the other cabinet.

And this is similar to our "vanity," except ours is half the length. I created it from pockets we had, and an unbreakable travel shaving mirror from Amazon.

The po had attached cable running above the curtain valance track by looping it around the screws. They had actually hung curtains with it, but we replaced those and left the cable.
That is what we hung the vanity pockets from. It also comes in handy for recharging solar lights, and pockets for our water bottles as well.
Love this! Thank you!!

We have one similar to that but it doesn't have a mirror of any kind in it. Ours sits over the kitchen sink and is hard riveted in place... we assumed it was a spice rack. Is this in addition to a spice rack or is our Spice rack possibly a vanity that the mirror is misson some how? (I think we have 3 trays... not two and a mirror???)

Latest posts