Installing A Hitch

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Ryoukoe, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Thoughts on ease of installing a hitch. Is it something you would try or have a mechanic install?

2. phalynx

phalynx Member

Bolt on ones are easy.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

what are going to put it on?

4. Stardust_8

Stardust_8 New Member

Depends on the vehicle. You might add your tow vehicle and trailer info to your signature.

5. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Yes, I did try it. ...successfully. ...with the help of this forum, I might add.

In general, I'd say the hitch itself is a very do-able DIY project. As mentioned above, it usually just bolts on to existing holes in your vehicle's frame. Most of the on-line hitch sellers have good instructions available for specific hitches and vehicles. Etrailer.com has a nice collection of helpful videos as well. The only tool I needed to borrow from a neighbor was a torque wrench. And the big hint that really helped me was to make sure to clean out the threads in the frame holes before trying to install the hitch.

What kind of vehicle are you looking to put it on? ...and what are you looking to pull? ...does it have trailer brakes, and/or a battery that you want to charge from the vehicle, and/or a regrigerator that you want to power from the vehicle while towing? If so, then the wiring is a little more complicated, but still do-able as a DIY project.

The other thing I had had to do to make our van a worthy Tow Vehicle (TV) was to install a transmission cooler and a power steering fluid cooler. You may or may not need to do that depending on what your TV is, how it came equiped from the factory, and how much your trailer weighs.

Feel free to provide more details about your situation and the folks around here will be glad to help you out with some hints and suggestions. You can save a lot of money by doing the install work yourself!

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Getting the bolts in place via a supplied long wire/spring was intimidating. After the first bolt, easy. Torquing to 80 or 90 ft-lbs meant buying a torque wrench. A helping hand makes the task easier. We did need to loosen and move the bumper to get access to the open end of the frame tube to thread the wire and bolt into position.

7. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Sorry about not posting the vehicle ><. I have a 2012 Kia Soul and I am planning on towing a Quicksilver 10.0 with it at max weight of 1500lbs.

8. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I inquired at a local auto parts store about a hitch for DW's Pilot. I would have had to relocate the spare tire if I used theirs. Just letting you know another question to ask about.

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

9. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

Go to etrailer.com and look up your hitch. There will usually be several brands available. Click on the "more info" button and you can find a link to the installation instructions. Some may be easier to install than others.

10. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I agree E trailer, or if you don't like mail order and there's one in your area, you can try Advance Auto. You can also get a real good idea on what it takes to bolt one on your vehicle, by going to e trailer where they have install videos for many makes. I ended up going to a trailer shop to get my hitch put on, because a tow hook had to be removed first. The total cost was around 300 for a Reese hitch.

11. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello There

Forget all places that do not install and breathe hitches.

Contact your local U Haul and get it direct from a place that does
    this more every day than others do in a good week.

They can answer your Trailer Electrical/ Light - Transmission Cooler -
    Max Towing Ability and etc-etc questions all with the same person.

12. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

U-Haul is another good place to buy a hitch or have one installed. From what I've heard, their prices are about as good as anywhere else.

13. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Uhaul does a great job I have had for hitches installed over the years all witj u haul never a regret

14. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

I was quoted $300 for installation including the wiring. Is that a good deal?

15. phalynx

phalynx Member

I was heading out the door this morning and forgot to say:

I remember my dad ordering a hitch years ago and told me to go install it on our new 4runner, back when I was 16. The only trouble I had was that was before I knew the difference between in-lbs of torque and ft-lbs of torque. I ended up popping the head off a bolt. Oops.

Anyway, that hitch would still be on the truck to this day, except I built a custom bumper later for off roading.

16. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

I got my hitch and 4-pin wiring kit from etrailer. I watched the videos they have on their site and youtube several times. On my van, there was enough room to crawl underneath and install the hitch, though it got a little tight at times. You will want to lift your Kia to get the room you'll need. You'll probably want to have some help on hand, as lifting 40 lbs. into place can be a challenge. Read the directions carefully, as you may have some drilling to do. A good drill with titanium bits can make a big difference. As others said, a torque wrench is necessary as well.

You'll want at least a Class II hitch for that Quicksilver. I hope you got trailer brakes with it, as 1500 lbs behind a Kia Soul sounds like a disaster ready to happen if you didn't.

17. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Here's the link to the E-Trailer page for Kia Soul hitches. It looks like they only have bolt on Class 1 hitches which limit you to a 200 lb tongue weight and a 2,000 lb trailer weight. I installed a class 1 on my Chevy HHR. to use a hitch mounted bike rack. The installation was very easy. I also replaced a class 3 hitch on a GMC Safari Van. The installation of the class three was a little harder but only because I had a little difficulty getting the rusted bolts out of the old hitch.

18. turborich

turborich Active Member

19. marcham

marcham New Member

Does the owner's manual specify a towing capacity?

Found the following searching online:

"You are correct that the Soul sold in Europe does have towing capacity specifications and it is not recommended in North America. In Europe, if the trailer is equipped with brakes, the towing capacity is 1,300 kilograms. If the trailer is unbraked, the towing capacity is only 550 kg."

How much does a Kia Soul weight? What type of terrain will you be towing over? Will the driver be the only occupant? .... things worth considering before trying to tow.

Have you checked with a Kia dealer? If towing is not recommended, they may be offering a hitch option anyway as a means of installing a bike carrier.

20. raymonk

raymonk New Member

@Ryoukoe-$300 dollars give or take a few dollars sounds about right.