Installing a new roof vent or skylight

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by SlavCo, Jul 15, 2016.

1. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Hey all,

Has anyone installed an additional roof vent or skylight in their hybrid? I find it to be a bit dark inside and would love to bring in some additional daylight into the camper. I've been thinking of installing a skylight or even an extra roof vent in the front of the trailer to remedy that. Has anyone attempted this before?My biggest concern is not knowing where the aluminum support beams are. I wouldn't want to cut into the roof smack in the middle of a bean [:O]. Any idea if a regular stud finder (like you use in the house) would be able to accurately detect the aluminum beams?

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions here.

Slav

2. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Know it's an od post .But often wondered the same.

3. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I've not, but I did put an A/C unit on my pup... I can't see this being any different than adding a vert or skylight to a standard TT.

4. ronnie

ronnie Member

funny thing was just thinking the same, but i replace my vent with and ac but now relies that the vent was a big part of venting the camper, now we have to run the ac or a little fan at night, so i was thinking about adding a vent in a different spot which has no bracing for it. So what i am wondering if i cut out the roof for the vent and then put 4 piece of wood to help brace the vent would that hold up..

sorry for hijacking your post but figured it would help both of us..

5. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

No worries :)

I never got around to doing this yet, but I did try using a stud finder to see if it would locate the aluminum beams - unfortunately it didn't work :( The stud finder would just randomly beep in all sorts of places, making it unreliable. We'll see, maybe in the spring I will take this idea up again.

Cheers

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I know its been done on a Forest River hybrid. seen the pictures, made a huge difference and seriously considering adding on to ours after the warranty runs out. If I remember correctly, they had on the heat on a cold damp day and located the studs by the condensation.

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I'm putting a fantastic fan into the non powered vent on my Jayco this winter. Rip out the junk. And sandwich in a new vent. I'll post a picture so you can see the roof structure of pups.

Rip out the bathroom fan on your hybrid to see the construction of the roof studs.

8. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Brilliant! My ceilings are not smooth, they have that stucco texture, but still worth a try come early spring .. Thanks!

9. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

I'm pretty certain I know how the roof is constructed, my concern is location of the aluminum studs. Unfortunately they're buried within the luan/styrofoam sandwich making it difficult to predict where they are. When I was replacing the rotten floor this past summer, the floor studs were in random places.. nothing like the 16" on center I'm used to in home building :)

10. SteveMM

SteveMM New Member

I saw a guy posted a video about his skylight install on another forum just the other day. Here's a link to the video: https://youtu.be/1yw7sMAeokM

He made it look pretty easy.

11. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Thanks Steve, it doesn't look like a tough job at all. One luxury he had was the plans from Jayco to show him where the ceiling studs are :) That's the one piece of puzzle I'm missing! I doubt I will be able to get this sort of information for a 13 year old trailer.

12. SteveMM

SteveMM New Member

Can't hurt to ask. I'd call Jayco.

13. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

I've emailed them yesterday, we'll see what they come back with... here's hoping! :)

14. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Sooo a bit of a Christmas miracle! StarCraft did respond and provided me with the roof construction drawings! I must say, I'm pretty impressed that they 1. Responded and 2. Still had the plans available.

The other miracle that happened earlier this year was that I (225lbs) did not fall right through that roof! There is no support bracing through out the entire front portion of the roof... crazy!!! The roof did seem solid though when I was up there.. anyway, I will now take some precautions when I get up there to install the skylight this spring, can't wait!!!

I've attached the drawing StarCraft sent in case it helps anyone else - assume it's the same specs for Antigua model as well.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Slav

Attached Files:

15. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Sooo... I ordered my new skylight, 18" x 24" some time ago, and now that the weather improved I was finally able to install it! It makes a huge difference in how much brighter the inside is! Overall a fairly simple job, the only added complication is I need to MacGyver something for the inside trim as I was not willing to spend another $100+ USD for the plastic garnish. Also, one other minor snag was cutting through the wires which feed one of the ceiling lights, simple enough to fix, just one more thing I need to fix :) image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG

cma7777 likes this.
  16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Looks good... for the inside trim you might be able to use some fairly thin molding trim and use something like guerrilla glue to hold the pieces in place..

17. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Nice work. pics of the inside with the natural light?

18. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Will take some soon! Have a trip coming up next weekend so hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities for pics :)

19. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Any inside pics yet? I'd love to do this mod.

20. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

I'll take some for you today, I just finally got around to doing the inside trim - stay tuned! :)