installing a power winch on a Skamper...hopefully :)

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by bfaley, Jun 30, 2011.

1. bfaley

bfaley New Member

So I bought a:

Champion Power Equipment 12002 2000-lb Power Winch Kit

From amazon for $53, $53!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't believe how cheap that thing was. Then I started thinking "will this even work?". My plan was to give it a whirl sometime within the next week, has anyone had any experience installing one of these? When I get home from work, I'll try and get some pictures of my situation. It's recieved good reviews, one of the reviewers actually stated that he used it for a pop up, but it seems like it's mostly used on atv's.

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

wondering how this went, did it work? i'd love to put a power winch in mine

3. bfaley

bfaley New Member

Yeah. It uhhh, is still in progress hahaha. I got everything apart, then lost a piece, then cussed a lot because I was baking in the 100 degree sun, then quit for the day. The winch is mounted and working, the cable is run (partially), all I have to do is piece the Goshen tube together by getting the spring tubes back on, then I can test to see if the winch will be a success.

P.s., I found the piece and will try to complete tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to make a list of what I need to complete this project so I can go full steam on monday. I will be sure to take some pictures to add, and instructions will be as detailed as possible.

4. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Please post pictures, lots of pictures. I am planning on doing the same thing this fall when it cools down some. Did you replace the main cable or just hook the main cable on the lift system to the winch?

5. Kevin199

Kevin199 New Member

Yes, please post some pics! I have mine apart right now to replace a bunch of parts. I thought about putting on an electric winch too while it is tore this far apart. I hope it all goes well for you!!!

6. bfaley

bfaley New Member

It's DONE!!!!! Took a total of 6 hours (I kept loosing stuff) but if I had to do it again it would take 1.5, or 2...maybe 2 hours. I will post pictures later on because I'm busy at work tonight. Here's the details for Replacing the cable and mounting the power winch
    1993 Skamper
    Goshen lift system:
    1. Unwind the cable and remove from old winch.
    2. Pull slack out neatly.
    3. Un-bolt and carefully pull out front 2 spring tubes (now is a good time to check for wear)
    *Leave center tube in place! It doesn't need to be removed, you'll just waste time.*
    4. Remove rear 2 spring tubes. As you do this it will free up the cable.
    5. With rear tubes removed, pull out the cable from the top of the tube (where the springs were.
    6. On the section of cable you just removed, there is a clamp, and pressure plate. note the location and setup of these items and make sure you keep the plate once removed. I lost 1 and it took almost an hour to find (part of my 6 hours lol).
    7. With the sring tubes out, you should be able to freely pull the cable out of the rear of the PUP. tape the new cable to the end of the exsisting one before pulling through
    8. From the rear of your PUP, carefully pull the old cable through until you have a couple feet of new cable hanging out. You will see the clamp/pressure plate for the front spring tubes.
    10.Measure the distance between the front and rear clamp/plate (mine was 121")
    11. disconnect the cables and remove pressure plates from old cable. keep the plates safe, you cannot find these at Lowes
    12. You will need to purchase some new clamps from your local hardware store. While there, pick up a swagging tool for $35. You need this to fix the clamps to the cable.
    13. Noting the location of the clamp/plates from the old cable, transfer them to the new one. Double-check your measurements. Make sure your clamps are on good and swag them each twice.
    14. feed cable back into top of center tube and insert springs.
    15. Take up slack in cable at the winch and insert front springs in same fashion. After the cable is run, you might want to check your grease fittings and add as needed.

7. bfaley

bfaley New Member

Adding the power winch

We had to get creative since our new winch was so different. The main issues you have to address when adding your new power winch is:

1. Capability of winch, I got 2000lb. The whole PUP only weighs 2000, so I figured I'd be safe. Always check with the manufacturer to be sure.
    2.Rubbing, the old system did a lot of rubbing, be sure your new setup does not put your cable in a situation where its constantly rubbing as you winch.
    3. Mounting location, and quality of the fastening and materials you are using.

I choose to mount the winch under where our propane sits. The housing where a winch would normally be was chewed up through years of previous owner repairs. This location provided an ideal place without rubbing. I used the bracket that came with the winch, and one I made out of a thicker metal. I'm thinking about cutting this all off in the future and welding on a new deck for the front of the PUP that may be more reliable.

Our winch is a 12 volt, so I snagged a battery box and car battery and mounted them to the frame just behind the winch. I also picked up some PVC from the store and cut it to fit along each of the lift posts to take some stress off of the system. The PVC sits in place on top of metal brackets and has a groove cut in the top to accomodate the lip on the roof. Under $200 for winch, battery, battery box, pvc and beer.

Tested the system by gingerly lifting and pausing for a few minutes every couple of feet to see if the system held up, and it did. Also, mark each of your posts so that your don't over-extend your system.

******I don't claim to be an expert. This is what I did, and it worked. ******

8. Ramsport59

Ramsport59 New Member

Please tell me your near the Glen Burnie Area....I'd like to check this out!

Rick

9. bfaley

bfaley New Member

haha! 21225 baby! I'm 2 miles up Ritchie hwy.

10. bfaley

bfaley New Member

Check out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bghurc/

Not to good with Flickr (don't use it much) so you might have to root around, but I have a 'set' of pictures that pertain to the repair. I didn't want to post them because they are large photos. Each picture has a description that may help. Hope this gives you guys an idea of what you're getting into!

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

looks good from what i could see from the pics. mine will be a different setup, since my winch is inside. it's under the bench seat in the back, really easy to get to. you got this from amazon, is that correct? what's the rating, how many pounds force does it have? ithink this would be an easy install in mine, i'm going to have to get er done. with the problems i have up and down my back, the power winch is just the ticket.

thanks for the pics and the info!

12. bfaley

bfaley New Member

No problem! Below is the link for the winch I bought. There may be better options out there, but this one does the trick for my PUP. The winch is rated at 2000, which my PUP barely weights that much so it's got enough pull to it. I also used PVC to make some safety bars - can't be to careful. Hope it works for ya!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=power+winch&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=585&wrapid=tlif131062374086121&safe=active&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3416004925670730605&sa=X&ei=_YceTsaDBKXw0gGs-LzbAw&ved=0CH8Q8wIwAA#

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i'd like to see some pics of the pvc safety bars too. i've been meaning to make some myself, i've had so much else to do. got the bunk plywood replaced on the queen bed end today. also got the lift arm bushings delivered today, so that's tomorrows project. once that's done, if i can get her to let down all the way after replacing those bushings, we're going camping this weekend!

14. bfaley

bfaley New Member

I'll try to get some up. They cost $12, just cut them to fit with a hack saw and filed them smooth. They go right next to the lift posts and are covered by the canvas, you can't even tell they are there. I'm camping in Deep Creek MD this weekend but we have to tent since my PUP isn't ready yet. I wanted to have it done, but ran out of time. I've had it for a year and haven't slept in it once :(

15. papachaz

papachaz New Member

did you just make one slice along the length of the pvc to open it up to go around the lift arm? and how big is the pvc, my lift arms at the bottom stage are 1 1/2 inches wide....

16. Ramsport59

Ramsport59 New Member

No kidding! I'm accross from Outback!!!

Small World!

Rick

17. bfaley

bfaley New Member

Off of Fitzallen? I have friends that live in that community. Certainly is a small world.

18. bfaley

bfaley New Member

No, I thought about that, but used 1.5 inch (I think) and they fit right next to the existing arms. Cutting them in half might still be in the works. I'm looking at an over/under setup next. My PUP drags in certain situations and I need to get on that before I have a big problem. That extra 6 in of lift will help me a lot.

19. Ramsport59

Ramsport59 New Member

Guildford and upton intersection.

Rick