Installing a radio in the pup??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by campphr33k, Aug 9, 2013.

1. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

I have been thinking My 1987 pup doesnt have a radio.... SO I was contemplating installing a cheaper walmart special one..

Thoughts?

Maybe do a set of speakers indoors and some Marines out with a three way to direct the music?

2. dion

dion Member

I haven't installed a stereo in my trailer yet, but I've thought about it. Some of my random thoughts...

Most car stereos are set up for front and rear speakers. Just call your outdoor speakers "rear" (or "front", doesn't really matter) and use the fader control to adjust the inside versus outside volume as you see fit.

Some stereos have an infrared remote control. Those things seem a little silly in a typical car installation, but could be pretty nice in a camper.

I'd want to be sure and get a stereo with an auxilliary input for an MP3 player or similar, for those times when radio reception isn't so good.

Speaking of reception, what are you planning to do for an antenna? I can think of a few possibilities, but I'm curious to hear what others have done.

3. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR Member

Careful, the I-camp-to-get-away-from-it-all crowd will likely pounce on your thread. [;)]
    Honestly, do what you want regarding a radio, but do be aware that your neighbors may not want to hear YOUR music.
    We take along the Sirius and a nice set of studio monitors, but don't always hook it up, and never loud enough to be heard at any distance.

4. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

Will be my next project we have a little ac/dc walmart think that doesn't pick up well. we keep it low respecting our neighbors

5. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

If you are streaming radio from a smartphone or laptop, this tiny amp is a good one to power speakers:
    http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376072180&sr=8-1&keywords=lepai

I put it in my house and love it enough to think about adding it and speakers to my pup also. The downside to this amp is that it only has 1 set of speaker outputs, so you can't easily have outside and inside sets of speakers.

I bought these speakers (in black or white) for the outside of my house. They might be too large for the outside of the pup, but they are a good price and sound fine to me.
    http://www.costcaptain.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=DX_LU43PW&Category_Code=

For the pup, I think I would just use the smartphone with powered computer speakers since I don't need to cover a large space with music.

6. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

Hmmm
    Few Idea's for the Tanner.... Running a wire tanner up and out just like the 12v Electrical is ran for the upper lights... :) Or do a Small hard rubber duck type mounted back bumper frame.

Bring the I-camp-to-get-away-from-it-all ... crowd in... More fun it would be..

And I am not a BANG YOUR HEAD type.. where I have to have it BLARING at 10000000 Decibels...

Just soft background music DURING The day... Never in the mornings or evenings cuz you have the natures music.. birds, frogs, coyotes and such..

I am thinking two 6" marine speakers cut in the door side of the pup....

Shouldnt need an AMP Cuz not going ROCK concert on it...

7. timothias

timothias New Member

The tip on using "Front" for one set of speakers and "back" for the other is really smart. Some other thoughts for you:

Use a car stereo, they are built to run on 12v. They do draw a small trickle for memory retention, but if you are maintaining your battery's charge regularly It shouldn't be a big deal.

A Car stereo wires in with 2 power wires, the 12v constant, which I would run from the fuses on the converter, and 12v switched, which in a car is routed through the ignition switch and signals the stereo to turn on. The switched line only triggers a relay, so it does not need to be beefy. The constant line should be 10awg.

If it were me, I would do two things with the power lines,
    1. put a toggle switch on the 12v constant so I could kill the trickle draw for long-term storage, and
    2. connect the 12v switched line so that it would only turn on when the galley is up (or where ever the switch is on your camper that activates the roof power when you set up). That way setting up is like starting your car for the stereo. The other option would be to run a second toggle switch straight to the fuse panel for the switched line and just turn it on manually.

As for speaker placement, I would keep them down on the lower walls of the PUP instead of above the canvas. It would make it easier to install, less to go wrong with wire pinching, and would require less volume to reach your sitting ears.

Just my [2C].

8. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

All very good thoughts.... I like the 12v switch for long term storage.

As for Using the Car stereo .. that was my thoughts Cheaper one with Aux input...

Speaker Placement was going to be in the lower walls and outside wall for outdoor use as well..

If was going to put anything UP in the top it would be the Tanner.. Routed through

9. kpic

kpic New Member

Vertical antennas for AM (531–1,611 kHz) radio use the vehicle as the ground plane for decent reception. If you take apart an old metal telescoping antenna from a car, the coaxial cable's center conductor attaches to the antenna and the shield or braid is bonded (attached) to the vehicle using the base of the antenna. Unless your PUP's roof is metal there isn't a ground. Usually poor receiving antennas work well enough simply because radio stations transmit using a lot of power and you are close enough. Fringe reception (far from station) is a different story..

10. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

The remote for a car stereo in a vehicle is to keep the driver from having to look down while driving

11. boopheads

boopheads I'd rather be camping

We have a little $10 radio with a CD player that we use. It run on solar, D batts or 120. Very easy to set up and use in or outside. Speaker quality is very good and on solar power will run at night for about an hour. (Time to shut it off after the suns down to not annoy the neighbors) I am sure that they have the same type radio with IPOD hook ups. Just a thought.....

12. Moss

Moss New Member

I really like the idea, but I think you would be better off spending the money on a decent portable speaker. I bought a Bose unit that designed to work with an Ipod. It came with a small remote and has an auxiliary input. It's not one of those big boxy shelf systems, it's not much bigger than a toaster but put outs great sound. Your speakers in your PUP would only be for the pup, the portable speaker can be used in your everyday life making it worth spending a little bite more in my opinion.

For FM radio or NOAA weather I purchased a small walkman on ebay for less than $10 that I connect with an auxiliary cord. I typically listen to my own tunes on an Ipod but if I want to catch a ball game or local radio I can.

13. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

Yeah I thought about that, but on the other hand that's just one more thing that needs to be packed and or stored.. if I mount the radio in the galley cupboard then.... one less thing to think about when packing.

14. kpic

kpic New Member

15. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

16. kpic

kpic New Member

That is really nice.

I downloaded the manual at Pyle Audio:
    Maximum Output Power : 4 x 40 Watts
    Current Drain : 15 Ampere (max.)

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMRKT12BK/IN-Dash-marine-AMFM-PLL-Tuning-Radio-w-USBSDMMC-Reader

The power is rated at 4 x 40 which implies you can add two more speakers. The 15 Amps max sounds high but it is their manual, maybe they mean cranked wide open?

17. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

yeah i suspect that is CRANKEd on the Drain and or CD player

I do like the thought of using marine so you can have the Weather radio built in. :)

18. timothias

timothias New Member

Just a heads up, the price is attractive, bit I have read many reviews of pyle units in the past that said they are not all that reliable.

19. Kimba

Kimba Ex-PUP, Back to the Tent!

Not to be a wet blanket here, but have you considered just buying a radio for camping instead of going through and installing it in the PUP? I know my grandma has a battery powered radio that can read am/fm/cd/aux/ssd & usb cards. Don't know what she paid for it, but I'm guessing $40. I have a much older one with the old red/white inputs and just keep it at a reasonable volume. You don't have to sit by the PUP to hear it either.

Different strokes for different folks I guess if you've already looked at this option.

20. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

I have.... However As we all know space can be an issue in the pups....:)