Installing a radio in the pup??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by campphr33k, Aug 9, 2013.

1. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Would definitely get one with an AUX input and USB for connecting MP3 devices and other sources.

As to why a car stereo vs. a battery powered table top. The trailer has a 12V system and a deep cycle battery, why not use that instead of using disposable D cell batteries.

2. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

YES and YES.... Kinda what I was thinking ..... Also.. it gives me a project to play with... on the PUP ya know!!!

3. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

I have a PYLE system with no moving parts, ie no CD player. IT IS A POS! Its supposed to be able to use USB, SSD, FM, AM, Aux. Really it only uses FM, AM, and Aux. USB won't stay connected, won't charge any device, SSD is hit or miss (mostly miss, I never use it anymore). The radio rarely has good reception. I'll have to disconnect the battery mulitple times to get it receive more than 2 radio stations in a metro area that has over 25 radio stations. I'll never buy another PYLE system again.

I'm looking to replace this unit and I'm thinking of going with one with Bluetooth. I'm usually close to my camper and always am streaming from my phone, being able to adjust the track and volume from my pocket would be much easier. Anyone know of any major difference between a RV stereo and car stereo? Power draw and DC connections were the only I could think of. Trying to find a car stereo that doesn't have a big, bright display (which uses more power) is getting hard to find.

DG

4. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

While we have a radio/cd player in our new camper... with aux jack input, we never had a radio in our 87 PUP. We just picked up an old boom box at a garage sale for $5 and used it inside and out.
    With today's technology there are lots of options... MP3/ipods often have external speaker systems that often are equipped with a am/fm radio to. Our daughter has one and it has a rechargeable battery so it is very portable... in the camper, outside or down at the beach. With the aux jack on our current camper radio/cd player any mp3 or ipod can be hooked up to it to play your own music lists... for that matter many cell phones can work as music players.
    We still have our $5 portable radio that is my buddy in the garage.

5. Chopperno1

Chopperno1 New Member

6. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

our camper came with speaker A, B and C. C is the outdoor and is really nice to have. my apple mpc doesnt hookup, try a usb but you may not be able to skip songs. we also have a cd built in but havent used it. with rubber duck antenna. i personally would rather hear local music and local news, hey you never know of a local flea market or sumthin like that. just my [2C]
    [ALPU]

7. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

People seem to think of them as a.................Pyle..............of junk [:D]

8. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

My main reason for wanting to go this route over boom box which I already have is reception My jeep can pick everything up there and the boom box one or none stations

9. kpic

kpic New Member

Jeep has electrical engineers and testing. The average boom box is made for people who live in urban or suburban areas where anything works well.

My camping radio is a Grundig YB 400PE, it receives long wave (144 - 353 kHz), AM band to 1710 kHz and shortwave from 1711 to 30000 kHz. Sensitivity is excellent. It has an external antenna jack.

10. thirey

thirey The worst day camping is better than...

We camp with a Fleetwood Niagra that we purchased used about three summers ago....love it with an exception...it came with a radio/cd player already installed, which on the front side we thought we would love. It has a set of speakers inside mounted down low, and a set of speakers flush mounted on the exterior on the door side, front and rear. The speakers can be controlled by selecting the fader control to "rear" or "front" so designating either outside or in or both. Radio reception is great in the major markets but in the mountains or at the beach not so great...not unlike the reception you get in your vehicle.

Draw backs:
    1. Light on stereo is ALWAYS on. This can be a challenge if you struggle to go to sleep or get back to sleep after letting the dog out in the middle of the night.
    2. Currently wired to ALWAYS draw power and found this past weekend that I failed to deal with that after putting the PUP away last time and prior to leaving for our trip this time. Less than full powered battery for our four day trip-Bummer.
    3. No MP3 plug in.

Will be removing our radio or will be attempting to do a rewiring so that it is wired to the roof electrical switching system. If I remove it I am going to install a MP3 jack in the same place. Should then be able to run the music off my smart phone or our iPods.

11. umpajam

umpajam New Member

Just buy a nice Grundig radio portable and gets much better reception.

12. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

I would just install a toggle switch next to the radio to cut power and lights..... make it an inline on the power line that way you can kill it when ever you want.... OH also since you have it out putting that switch wire in replace it with something with AUX :)

13. ricko

ricko Member

We have a radio in our Niagara and have used it ... ONCE ... that's it. Ours does not have any external speakers.

If I do get a 'wild hair' and mod the system, I'd mount some external speakers and figure out a way to control it from outside the pup. We only listen to the radio/XM/iPods outside under the awning. If I could figure out a way to have an input panel mounted to the side of the PUP with a remote eye I think we'd be set.

On the other hand - that's a lot of work.

Ricko

14. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

I agree with installing a car stereo in the pup. One less thing to pack and it is always ready to go. I disconnect the battery when not in use so there are two options; reprogramming channels that will not be available when I leave the local area, or just finding the local stuff I like when we get there. A CD & or Aux input would be a plus. I like the idea of using the fader to control inside & out. I was wondering how I was going do that!
    Thanks!!!

15. campphr33k

campphr33k New Member

After Camping this past weekend I felt like I was in dueling radio mix..... (NOT ME) Had Country on one side, Heavy ROCK across the street, and then Some sort of Massage yoga relax music on the other side.......

I Do believe the NOW generation has lost their HEARING.. cuz they dont know how to keep their music in their area.. :)

It isnt like when I was a kid and would turn the radio up only to be slapped and told DO NOT TOUCH THE RADIO that is RUDE to have it that loud when i just turned it from 3 -5 on a scale that went to 20!!!!

OH well .... I still think i want a radio.. :)

16. skysummit

skysummit Member

Installing a radio will probably be the 3rd or 4th mod I'll do.

17. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Don't most car radios have removable faceplates that solve the power when not in use problem. I always pop mine off when not in use.

Also, most radios have two power inputs, one is used specifically to maintain preset memory and is not necessary to connect and thus no power used when the camper is in storage.

18. OldTimer1

OldTimer1 New Member

Just a recommendation;

Almost every radio you buy at Walmart or Bestbuy also includes an AUX and a USB input. You can put a ton of music on a 16gig Flash drive, fact is there is enough music on one that you can use it for six months without listening to the same song twice (that is as long as you have only put it on once).

If you do use a flash drive you have to make several folders and limit the number of songs in each folder. The most files/songs in anyone folder can not be more than 500.

19. timothias

timothias New Member

The way most radios are wired is that all the power it draws is through the always on connection. The other power line is only used to detect the position of the ignition switch.

20. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Unless you really want a radio I have a suggestion. How about a blue tooth wireless speaker. I bought a zooka for deployment and it works great. Not huge booming sound but the camper next door doesn't want to hear you or your music. There are any number of better speaker systems that are slightly louder and would work great and hook directly to the iPod or other device like your phone without having to install anything.