Installing a toilet

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Heilman_5, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

I got a little girl, and two boys.

I am planning installing a toilet in a small cupboard for her. Anyone use a port a potty or install one.

Do they smell? Work ok for a weekend? Any tips?

2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We have a porta potti that we keep in the unused end of our pup...there's just the two of us. The wife doesn't get around so good, so we put it in there for her. Use the chemical like you're supposed to, & there's no odor, ours seals air-tight when the valve is closed completely

3. chambo

chambo Active Member

Never an odor problem with mine either. Its a great upgrade if you have the room, especially with kids. I use the Camco TST chemical. It doesn't have an obnoxious chemical smell and seems to keep odors controlled.

My family of four could make a weekend before the tank filled up. They are easy enough to empty at a dump station or bath house if needed. Although I've heard that some parks have restrictions on emptying cassette toilets at the bath house.

TST.jpg

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My 2008 Starcraft 14 R/T Popup came with a Cassette Potty and Shower Combo... Sits just inside the door between the door and the front tent bed...

[​IMG]
    We have a pull curtain across the whole trailer at the edge of the door over to the Storage cabinet. The Cassette potty and Shower also has a wrap around shower curtain.

On the outside is access door for the pull out waste 6 GAL tote which has rear wheels - easy to tote off the campground bath room building.

[​IMG]

It works great but for us we really only use the POTTY... The shower arrangement is small and not for standing up it seems. You have to sit on the potty stool and there is always the question do I have the stool lid up or down haha...
    [​IMG]

If I had my druthers I would only have the CASSETTE POTTY version without the shower.

I would gain alot of precious room and the potty area could be a nice bench sitting area to put your boots on when you get up... The pull out waste tote would be gained access through the door shown here and in this case you could pull this out standing in the POPUP trailer doorway...

[​IMG]

With active kids around just having a portable pot to set on will most likely get turned over a few times haha "MOM !!! The pot turned over..."

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Thanks gives me an idea.

Is that a beer bottle opener? On the toilet?

JPBar likes this.
  6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ Now that's funny!

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On my old Jayco I used a small porta potty that we stored in the cabinet. We used it mainly at night as during the day we were close enough to the facilities. No odor from the potty as long as you use the chemical. I now upgraded my camper and have the one Roybraddy mentioned above. Same concept as my small one, but built in and can hold more contents. it sure comes in handy, especially if the facilities are equivalent to a block away and you have small ones or its raining.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever installed a real flush toilet in their pop up. If you always camp at full hook ups it would work. I have a cassette toilet and I take it out in the morning.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. My parents have a full size TT and a flushing toilet. Even though they camp with a sewer site they still have to keep the holding tank closed otherwise solids stay solid and turn into concrete in the tank. So knowing that I don't think a real flushing toilet would work without a holding tank of some sort and will will still be needing to deal with the waist.

10. 1380ken

I don't really follow what you are saying. If I put in a real toilet, couldn't I just cut a hole in the floor and have a pipe go to a hose to the sewer. Could have a dump on the trap.

11. chambo

chambo Active Member

Like a real porcelain crapper like you have at home? It would all a lot of weight, take a lot more water, and you'd be inclined to sit on it longer while reading a magazine. You'd miss out on a lot of camping.

JPBar likes this.
  12. 1380ken

You are right. I would not have enough room. I have three kids and my two boys would drop bombs in the toilet. If it was just me and the wife I might consider a real toilet.

13. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

When I rebuilt mine I used the cabinet space to add a porta potty. But keep in mind when you remove the cabinet like I did that makes the back wall weaker. So make sure the wall holds your weight when you are on the bed.
    I'm 5'10" 225 lbs and I fit in the space just fine. Mine was build more for my daughter but I use it as well. My rebuild link is below for more photos.

D4743A0C-D33E-4B04-B9FE-A543C470FDB4_zps6crydykk.jpg 8435D25C-F19D-44A1-95A2-C3CBCA67FACE_zpslp506law.jpg 68B5DB0F-9A33-41A2-B327-476E028F2CAF_zpskqmqckqb.jpg 8DDAB284-1F5F-4E9F-873B-0B1B194EC022_zpsauuflmjd.jpg

DanielFlorida likes this.
  14. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Sorry I was going to add that I thought about a flush unit as well but after the fabrication and the units weight I decided against it. I was on a weight restriction due to the type of vehicle I have.