Installing AC in Palomino Pony

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by castiron, Dec 23, 2007.

1. castiron

castiron New Member

Hi Everyone,
    The Pony (it's an 03) is roof ready and I have the AC unit. I've been perusing the forums looking for clues as to where the roof penetration should be made but haven't found anything specifically for the pony. Maybe I've missed it? I have found a phillips head screw in the ceiling on the centerline (front to back)and about a foot back from the middle (side to side). So I was wondering if this was a marker as to where the hole is made? I'm ready to start cutting now! This website is great! So while waiting for an answer I'll go check out the food forums.
    Thanks
    Steve
    FYI the screw is the approxomate center of the spot where you cut the hole. I cut a small hole in the ceiling only with a 2" hole saw and probed around with a stiff piece of wire and located the framing for the hole and did some careful measuring and marking. Did the majority of cutting with a skill saw and finished the corners with a hand saw and ended up with a nice clean hole and the coleman mach lll is now done. Rocky Mountain RV (Palimino dealer) in Albuquerque was very helpful.

Edited by - castiron on December 31 2007 21:00:25

2. castiron

castiron New Member

The ac had been installed! Happy New Year every one!

3. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Congrats on your installation - may you camp cool in the future!

4. LynnAllen02

LynnAllen02 Active Member

Congratulations, sorry there weren't more of us who could help you with your situation.

We have a Pony but no A/C and we dry camp mostly and have no need for A/C

Good luck with your Pony and welcome to PUP....

Lynn

2006 Pony 283*2005 Liberty*

5. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

Ditto, wish we coulda helped. We have a Pony, but no AC and don't see a need. We, like Lynn, dry camp as often as not. I'm glad you were able to figure everything out and do a nice clean install. Congrats.

--------------------
    Dana & Claudia
    The Happy Campers
    '05 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    '04 Palomino Pony 280

6. castiron

castiron New Member

Hi all,
    No problem, we also mostly do dry camping. I've mounted a solar panel on the roof and have dual batteries and propane tanks and carry extra water. We normaly camp at high altitudes out here in New Mexico where even in the summer it gets pretty cool at night. However once you get east of the border where the altitude drops and the humidity goes up well I just don't want to put up with it. Next June we are going to be on the road for two weeks straight in a hot and humid part of the country so we decided to spoil ourselves. Again thanks! Were also loooking forward to spring break when we can take that first camping trip of the year!

Steve, Susan and Rose
    03 Pony and 98 Dodge Dakota