installing air bags

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by mkaczala, Aug 10, 2012.

1. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

i am thinking of installing air bags in my TV. It seems to squat a bit when fully loaded. Any feedback on doing this? What are the pros and cons, does it void factory warranty? any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Sir

The Squating is because you have placed an load that is
    more than what your springs are spec'd to accept.

To your truck there are springs which have an higher
    load limit.

Yes you will quickly learn that some have "cut corners" and
    have them on their vehicles.

3. grubbster

grubbster New Member

This is not necessarily true. My TV is a Ram 1500 with a 10,000 tow limit and it squats when I hook up my PU. The reason is because of coil springs in my case. Air bags are the perfect solution for me.
    Boobooman, what is your TV? Are you within your towing specs? There are several great threads on here with the pros and cons of using air bags. There are not many cons if you are using your vehicle within spec.

4. lawniz

lawniz New Member

all i did was spend 60 dollars on universal over the spring helper springs, from my local Advanced Auto Parts Store. they bolt on one side of the leaf spring, and they are rated for 1500 lbs.didnt effect the ride, but no sag when i hook up to our heavy construction trailers. they bolt on one leg of the leaf. takes 15 minutes to install.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would not use air bags with leaf springs, chevy used air shocks on the larger SUV's.

6. turborich

turborich Active Member

There is nothing wrong with using air bags on a vehicle with leaf springs. All of your Ford Chevy & Dodge 3/4 & 1 ton pick ups that tow anything heavy will have aftermarket air bags installed and they use a solid axle with leaf springs.

Air shocks may work for lighter loads but don't come anywhere close to what air bags can handle.

What kind of vehicle are you towing with? Perhaps you should Google it and see what options are available. I tow with a 2000 Ford Expedition with factory air bags (auto leveling) every time I hook up it automatically levels itself which is very nice.

7. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

I tow with my chevy 1500 silverado. I ended up buying airbags on line last night. I got The Firestone Ride-Rite. They look like they are going to work perfect. I also liked the firestone because made in U.S.
    I think this will eliminate any squating and help manage a full load better, did not want to bet the 2500hd I think this will be the solution.

8. adamteja

adamteja New Member

I have them on my Honda Pilot, they work fine.

9. turborich

turborich Active Member

You should be happy with them, They'll get rid of the squat for sure. I've installed both the Firestone & Air Lift brand. Both are a good product.

10. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Can't find (and don't think that) air springs that will fit under my car, so I bought Monroe Max Air shocks. when I get them and the new trailer in October, I'll let everyone know how they do...

I'm still looking for air springs, though. 2003 Hyundai Starex (H1 in Europe)