installing ceiling hooks?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by lukenick, Aug 2, 2014.

1. lukenick

lukenick New Member

I bought some of those hooks you can screw in. How can I secure those to the ceiling? Stupid question but is there a beam or something I can screw into? LOL (female here)

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Personally, Ive gone to some lengths to avoid screwing anything into the roof. Its probably up for some slight debate, but I wouldn't screw anything into the roof.

3. GMD

GMD Member

I agree, I wouldn't either.

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

If you Velcro a piece of wood strip to the ceiling then you can screw in your hooks to the strip.

5. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

First off, no stupid questions on the portal!! So please ask away!!!

Second, ditto about not wanting to attach anything to the ceiling. The roof/ceiling is one of those funky items that if you look at it wrong, problems arise. It is better to avoid any problems, instead of creating them.

My question for you, is what are you trying to accomplish? That might help us help you better. : )

Pixel

Ps-there are many of us ladies on the portal!!!!! [;)]

6. lukenick

lukenick New Member

Just looking to hang a shelf or shoe organizer or pots and pans. Looking to get rid of the clutter on my counter tops.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I join the others in saying that it is best to avoid screwing anything into the ceiling. If you want shelving check out the mods others have made with shelving based on spring-loaded poles that run from floor to ceiling. Do some searches. There are many ways to add shelving without creating potential ceiling leaks.

8. turborich

turborich Active Member

I also would avoid screwing into the ceiling if you can.

If you're dead set on doing so then I would use one of the U shaped hooks that is attached to a square metal plate. It mounts with 4 screws, I would also use very short screws and a dab of liquid nails or similar between the metal plate and the ceiling. [2C]

9. geoanna

geoanna New Member

As you can see the theme here... [:D] Don't screw anything into the roof that isn't meant to either hold it up or hold it together. [:D] There are a number of great ideas for shelving. Do a search through the forum. You can use any of the soft collapsible closet shelves. You can use your shepard hook (if the contents aren't too heavy), or even a pressure shower rod.

10. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Along the same theme here, what about using something like a command hook? Don't know if there's a specific one for this application, but worth a look, IMHO.

11. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Well our camper came with things already screwed into the ceiling. Light fixtures, catches to hold the door up, hooks for hangin kitchen shelving.... so I would say you should be able to screw hooks in. Follow the stud lines where other items are screwed in and use fairly short screws.

12. lukenick

lukenick New Member

what are "shepard hooks". The only things screwed into my ceiling are just like you said the door track and the lights. I do not have any hooks for kitchen shelving which is why I wanted to add some. I looked into the Command sticky hooks but they are meant for walls so hanging those up on a ceiling won't work.

13. geoanna

geoanna New Member

Sheppard Hooks are the poles that extend out over the bunk ends to hold the canvas up. Typically attaches to another curved pipe that makes the bowed end.

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I think they mean shepherd poles, which are the poles that hold the canvas up over the beds. You can hang light stuff from those like a place to put your glasses when you sleep. But you're looking for shelving it sounds. Pinterest actually has a lot of pics of different shelving systems that can inspire you or just searching around here. The tension rod, or metal shower rod, shelves are popular. I did other types of shelves like putting zip ties through the rook support braces to make a loop to hang closet organizers from and I used the door tracks to make a shelf. You can click on my imgur link in my signature to see what I did. You can also buy collapsible clothing rods that you can mount to the ceiling with automotive double sided molding tape to have a place to hang a closet organizer. The different ways you can do it seem endless. And it's fun to do. Happy Hunting :)

15. geoanna

geoanna New Member

Ooops [:O] Pole not hook... [:!]

16. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Yeah, you shouldn't be trying to hook those sheep you are counting to get to sleep! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]