Installing new electric service...

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Crazycoleman, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

So this is an interesting one...our PUP has a window unit a/c in it. When we plug in the 15 amp service and then plug the a/c unit into one of the plugs inside, you can tell it isn't getting a good enough shot of juice. When the compressor kicks on the lights nearly cut completely off, and the fan almost stops. So I definitely need a better electrical situation. I talked to a mechanic at a local RV shop, and he suggested actually running a 30 amp service cord into a junction box, and from there to an electrical outlet for the a/c unit, and to the power converter. I have the 15 amp service out of our Coleman that has a 15 amp breaker box on it, and he suggested I just run a 30 cord into it, and from there to the junction box. I like the idea because it would definitely insure I get plenty of juice to the cold-maker (btw- in Texas, that is the only thing that matters in July :) ), and yes, it would be overkill. Would it be that bad though? It is a more costly way of doing things than other options, but what do y'all think?

ROb

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I think you are on the right track. I have done something kinda similar with my PUP.

The 'best' option would be to run a 30A cord into a small breaker box. The box would have a 15A breaker that feeds the current converter, and a 20A breaker that feeds a dedicated outlet for the window AC. This could actually branch to another outlet or two as well.

In my case, I have a 'Siamese' power cable of two 12/3 cords running to the camper. One feeds the converter; the other another circuit that includes the AC. I have twistlock connectors on the power pedestal end that allow me to hook them to two seperate Edison plugs to go into two circuits, or they can be fed off a 30A outlet. This is not 100% kosher with the electrical code, but I do know any limitations it has, so I am not concerned.

I am not sure about what you are explaining on the last part of your post. If the 30A cord 'hits' the converter, but also continues onto the additional outlet for the AC, you should be all right. What you don't want to do is just power the converter with the new cord and continue using its 15A breaker to feed the camper....you will only get 15A out of the deal!

3. IPcamper

IPcamper New Member

If you wish to replace the whole service, then you might want to look at Best Converters. http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-8725-Power-Center_p_50.html

Using a WFCO convertor, you would feed it with a 30A cable. It has space for two standard breakers. Usually a 20A for the AC circuit and a 15A for the other 110V outlets and the converter. The converter supplies the 12V circuits and recharges the battery for you.

There are multiple brand power units/converter you could choose, but these WFCO work well and don't take up much space.

4. Crazycoleman

I am not really looking to replace the power converter at this point, I just have to get a full shot of power to the A/C unit. I know it doesn't pull that much power because it doesn't trip the breaker built into the power converter. I am thinking about using the idea, but just with a 15 amp cord. Right now I am running 2 power cables, I just have to stick the one for the a/c thru the canvas, and I want to get away from that.

ROb

5. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Two power cords........

This is essentially what I have. I mounted two male Edison panel-mount plugs under the dinette by the converter. One of them feeds the converter; the other feeds the new receptacles I installed. I run two cords in through the access hatch and pop them into these plugs. Here is a photo -

[​IMG]

This gives me a nice clean run to the power pedestal. Would I like a new beefy converter with a 30A cord? Sure, but its not in the budget!!

6. Crazycoleman

I would like to keep it to one cord. I use the other 15 amp plug at the campsite to run my bug zapper, so I don't wanna have to use both. As overkill as it seems, I am really thinking I like the idea of the 30 amp service.

ROb