Installing rooftop ac unit on my 2004 coleman tacoma

Bjsaleen

Aug 19, 2014
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I currently own a brand new Carrier Air V AC unit ( i know they are no longer being made). I am wanting to get it installed in my 2004 coleman tacoma either myself and father would do it or I may have a dealer do it. My camper is AC ready, it has the 4 caped holes showing where to cut the 14 inch hole. It also has the 2 braces that run across the roof to support the Unit itself. My Inverter has a spare 20Amp breaker dedicated to a AC unit, and came with the wiring to run from the unit to the breaker I'm assuming? My main concern is oviously cutting a 14 inch hole into the top of my camper roof! But once i get over that my question is how do i run the electric? does it run between the roof gap? or is it run just across the ceiling and down the wall? which i think would be kinda ugly. Does anyone have a video or step by step picture guide on doing this job? The dealer quoted me $85 an hour for install and said it would take 2.5 hours to do. would you guys just shell out the money and get it installed? And one more thing about the dealer. they said they would not warrant the unit because it was not bought from them. But they would warrant the install form 90 days. Is it worth it?

CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND
Nov 14, 2007
I had an aftermarket A/C installed on my 2008 Niagara. The power cord was installed into a channel on the inside of the camper ceiling (not in the roof). The cable was the coiled up and attached to a Velcro loop behind the drapery valance. The plug was then plugged into a dedicated circuit in the wall of the camper when the A/C is used. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

Bjsaleen

Aug 19, 2014
Another question i have is, the seam runs right down the middle of the 14 inch hole I'm supposed to cut. any advice on cutting this? should i just cut the 14 inch square and not worry about the seam?

EV2

Mar 18, 2008
Did mine in 2010 when new. As previously mentioned, there should be openings in your roof brace to house the cord across the ceiling to the side and then coiled to drop down to your 20 amp outlet. A couple of cautions are important. Use a large piece of plywood to spread your weight evenly across the top when placing the AC and limit to one person spread out. Also, do not cut square corners on your opening. Drill with a large bit to leave rounded corners.

eprovenzano

Oct 6, 2013
Bjsaleen said:
Another question i have is, the seam runs right down the middle of the 14 inch hole I'm supposed to cut. any advice on cutting this? should i just cut the 14 inch square and not worry about the seam?

I too will be installing a unit this spring... I have an 04 Fleetwood HW and have the same issues as Bjsaleen. My pup has the braces installed, the locators for the 14" hole, and a dedicated plug. I too wonder how to handle the roof seam. Should we cut it back to keep the mount flush, or leave it and allow the gasket to handle the seam?

Bjsaleen

Aug 19, 2014
eprovenzano said:
I too will be installing a unit this spring... I have an 04 Fleetwood HW and have the same issues as Bjsaleen. My pup has the braces installed, the locators for the 14" hole, and a dedicated plug. I too wonder how to handle the roof seam. Should we cut it back to keep the mount flush, or leave it and allow the gasket to handle the seam?
From the research I've done and HOPEFULLY someone will chime in here. I believe we just cut the 14 inch hole and leave the seam alone and allow the gasket to take care of the seam.

smit1088

Super Active Member
Mar 15, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I swear I have the actual 2004 ac install document from Coleman at home. I just keep forgetting to look for it until I re-see this post every morning. I'm just commenting so I have it in my history tonight. I will make it a priority to look at my documents when I get home.

Bjsaleen

Aug 19, 2014
smit1088 said:
I swear I have the actual 2004 ac install document from Coleman at home. I just keep forgetting to look for it until I re-see this post every morning. I'm just commenting so I have it in my history tonight. I will make it a priority to look at my documents when I get home.
Thanks a bunch!!!

smit1088

Super Active Member
Mar 15, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Here is what I found. I think it covers what you need, but I actually did not read it.

Hope I help some.

FLEETWOOD FOLDING TRAILERS, INC.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

MODEL NUMBER 4755-8581 - AIR CONDITIONER INSTALLATION KIT
1968G503
August 2002

spacer_clear
NOTE: This kit is for use on 2000 - Present Timberlake, Fairview, Sedona, Tacoma, Redwood, Fairlake, Laramie, Cottonwood, and Yuma

This package contains:

-
4741B965 Expansion rivet

-
4752-245 Top trim

-
4745-396 Screw (painted)
9"

-
4350000295 Acrylic tape

-
1212-013 Grommet

-
4752-244 Caution decal

- 4748A659 Power cord
6"
- 4350000058 6"/PC foam tape

- 4723-337 Velcro Strap
- 1202B269 Flat Washer

- 4739-415 Nylon clamp
- 4749A212 Channel extension

5'

-
4350000032 Putty tape

IMPORTANT NOTICE
These instructions are for the use of qualified individuals specifically trained and experienced in the installation of this type equipment and related system components. Installation and service personnel are required by some states to be licensed. Persons not qualified shall not attempt to install this equipment nor interpret the instructions.

These instructions are for the installation of the air conditioner kit and the air conditioner unit itself. Refer to the instructions included with each air conditioner model for additional mounting details.

A. Instructions (Air Conditioner Kit)
1. Route the power cord through the pre-drilled roof brace after loosening the roof brace from the L-shaped mounting bracket on the side closest to the 20 amp electrical outlet. Allow 18" to 24" of the power cord (non-plug end) to remain at the air conditioner cut-out location for later attachment to the ceiling assembly.
IMPORTANT: A 20 amp receptacle is located within the interior wall paneling at the front, rear, or sides of the trailer and can be identified by the short horizontal notch in one leg of the outlet.
Remove four accordion rivets from within the ceiling paneling of the top assembly. Carefully mark the air conditioner cut-out opening on the top interior. For ease of cutting, it is recommended that a 1/2" - 3/4" circular hole be drilled through each corner of the disposable section of the cut-out. This will allow ample room for the sabre saw blade to miter each corner.

WARNING: Always check location of the pre-determined accordion rivets prior to cutting to ensure proper clearances from the air conditioner top braces for installation of the air conditioner unit.

NOTE: The cut-out must be 11" from the screen door track for proper air conditioner alignment.

3. Cut out the opening for the air conditioner with the use of a sabre saw or other suitable cutting tool.
IMPORTANT: Due to the various types of commercial air conditioners available, check each individual manufacturers recommendations for the exact air conditioner cut-out size to measure.
4. Place the four channel extensions into the air conditioner hole cut-out, one in each side between the interior ceiling paneling and the exterior metal skin of the top assembly. Align the edges of the channel extensions with the hole cut-out.
5. Once the air conditioner hole is completely cut, lower the top assembly to enable easy access to the exterior portion.
6. Cut the exterior metal center seam strip 2" back on each side of the opening and refasten the trimmed end. This will allow the air conditioner unit to properly seal against the exterior portion of the top assembly. See Figure 1.
7. If installing a Coleman super-mach 13.5 BTU air conditioning unit (except TSR models) cut the rear center seam strip back an additional 9". This will allow clearance for the compressor support bracket. Re-seal the exposed screw holes with silicone caulking and apply a portion of the center seam (removed previously) in the area between the compressor support pad and the 14" x 14" cut-out for the air conditioner. Attach the center seam with the acrylic tape supplied. Press down on the center seam to ensure proper seal.
8. Cut away any double-stick tape that remains between the end of the center seam strip and the edge of the cut-out opening.
9. Place a bead of caulking along the cut edge of the center seam strip. See Figure 1.
10. Re-seal the exposed 2" section of the center seam with the enclosed sealant tape. Position the tape from the edge of the caulking to the edge of the cut-out opening. See Figure 1.
11. Place a strip of 1 3/4" putty tape completely around the exterior perimeter of the cut-out opening. See Figure 1.
12. You are now ready to begin the actual air conditioner installation.
B.
Instructions (Roof Air Conditioner Unit)

1. Remove the carton and packaging from the roof air conditioning unit.
Lift the air conditioning unit off its wooden skid and set directly on the prepared roof opening cut-out with the pointed end of the unit facing the front of the trailer and the condensing coil facing the rear. The air conditioning unit may be lifted by its plastic cover. The roof seal gasket located on the air conditioner unit itself will provide a sufficient seal between the air conditioner and the smooth camper roof when secured properly.

NOTE: The centering flange on the underside of the air conditioning unit must be centered over the roof opening cut-out.

IMPORTANT: Different brands of roof air conditioners and ceiling assemblies are not interchangeable. Check individual manufacturers recommendations.

C. Installing the Air Conditioner Interior Ceiling Assembly
1. Place the "CAUTION" decal on the ceiling assembly.

Specific instructions for this part of the air conditioner installation can be found in your mini-mach installation booklet. Follow these as indicated for proper installation.

CAUTION: When tightening the air conditioner anchor bolts, do not exceed 50% of gasket compression or irreversible cell damage to the gasket material will occur. Periodically check tightness of all anchor bolts. (On 8000 series Coleman air conditioners, it will be necessary to remove the ceiling assembly to access the anchor bolts.)

D. Wiring Procedure

D A N G E R -- S H O C K H A Z A R D

MAKE SURE THAT THE POWER SUPPLY TO THE UNIT IS DISCONNECTED BEFORE PERFORMING ANY WORK ON THE UNIT TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF SHOCK, INJURY, OR DAMAGE TO THE EQUIPMENT.

1. A wiring access hole through the interior plastic ceiling assembly cover of the air conditioner should be located 1" down from the top and 2 1/2" in from the curbside on the front of the ceiling assembly cover. This hole is located directly adjacent to the pre-drilled hole in the front ceiling brace. See individual manufacturers recommended hole locations included with the ceiling assembly instructions.
NOTE: The electrical control box is located on the curbside of the ceiling assembly cover.
2. Insert wire through enclosed white rubber grommet and the interior plastic ceiling assembly cover.
3. Splice wires color for color with the enclosed wire nuts. Reference air conditioner manual.
4. Using electrician's tape, tape the wire nuts securely to the wires.
5. Tighten the strain-relief clamp to secure the 115 volt supply wire in place (see air conditioner booklet). Coil the two connected wire ends and place inside the control box. Reinstall the control box cover. Be sure the thermostat probe is in position, routed through the rubber grommet and not touching any metal. See air conditioner manual.
6. Make sure the filters are in position in the ceiling assembly cover and are held in place by elastic cords around four retainer pins; if they are not, install them at this time. See air conditioner manual.
7. Reinstall the interior ceiling assembly and secure with the two screws taken out earlier. Put the control knobs back on the ceiling assembly and turn the selector switch to "OFF."
8. Route the power cord along the top of the roadside or curbside aluminum canvas track toward the 20 amp receptacle, then fasten the cord to the top with the three nylon clamps and three screws provided.
9. Route the power cord along the seat bench frame or curbside cabinet assembly and into the 110 volt, 20 amp receptacle.
10. Drill a 13/64" hole in the corner of the top assembly (through ceiling panel only) coinciding with the routing of the power cord. Fasten the power cord retaining Velcro strap with the expanda-rivet and flat washer provided.
NOTE: Store power cord looped at corner of top assembly prior to closing.

ac%2Binstall.jpg

eprovenzano

Oct 6, 2013
smit1088 THANK YOU for posting the instructions... That helps clear up some of the gray areas.

Per the instructions "Cut the exterior metal center seam strip 2" back on each side of the opening and refasten the trimmed end. This will allow the air conditioner unit to properly seal against the exterior portion of the top assembly."

Thanks again smit1088, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Bjsaleen

Aug 19, 2014
eprovenzano said:
smit1088 THANK YOU for posting the instructions... That helps clear up some of the gray areas.

Per the instructions "Cut the exterior metal center seam strip 2" back on each side of the opening and refasten the trimmed end. This will allow the air conditioner unit to properly seal against the exterior portion of the top assembly."

Thanks again smit1088, your assistance is greatly appreciated.
x2