Insulated popup tent?

Sven4955

Mar 16, 2022
Instead of Reflectix in the windows, I used the car windshield versions to sandwich between the screen and clear vinyl parts of the windows (folded down flatter and easier to store). I added the mylar emergency blankets under the mattresses to try reflect heat back in.

Those probably all helped but what I found the most helpful was a roll of paper towels. There are so many gaps in the tenting all around that cold air would blow in through. Places like where the tenting attached to the roof but gapped around the support arms, or where the bed rail channels came through the rubber sweeper, or around the door. I just wadded up a paper towel and stuffed them in all of those places.

The other thing I did was run a separate 120v 15 amp circuit for a second electric heater. Since I camp at spots with electricity, and I've paid for the service, I use the campground's electricity over my propane. Two electric heaters pointed towards the bunk ends and the above steps were enough to keep the PUPs in the 70s when it was below freezing outside. Before I ran a separate circuit, I would use an extension cord plugged into the Shore Power pedestal and pass the extension cord into the PUP through one of the many gaps. Many people do it that way.

The gas furnace was set to kick on at 50, in case anything happened to the electric heaters. Even with both heaters going and other misc appliance, we never triggered the 30 amp main breaker in the PUPs.
I do plan to do a combination of boondocking/hookup camping. I do like having a hot shower!🤗 The electric heaters I will definitely do. I had one in my first popup and I did like it better than the furnace; less noisy too.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
In the next few months I intend to purchase another popup tent camper. When I moved up from tent camping, my first camper was a popup. I have had a few types of campers since then but my favorite has always been my first popup. Memory colored by nostalgia perhaps.😋 I am a solo camper and I do recall that it takes awhile to set up the camper by yourself.
But enough of ancient history. My question is about tent insulation. I intend to take long trips and will find myself camping in different climates and temperatures. Are there any companies that make insulation packages specifically for popups? If not, does anyone have advise/instructions on how they insulated their popup? Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Happy trails,
Sven
Please note that many parks and campgrounds in bear country Do Not Allow any screened areas on your pop up.
Most especially the Grand Canyon and Smoky Mt Parks.
One reason we purchased an ALINER CLASSIC( i would have liked one with a wet bath, but hubby said he woukd not use it.) But take a look at them. They now come with hard sided dormers. We only got one over the bed area, but you can get two if you wish.
Hope this helps. Have Fun.
K.H

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
In the next few months I intend to purchase another popup tent camper. When I moved up from tent camping, my first camper was a popup. I have had a few types of campers since then but my favorite has always been my first popup. Memory colored by nostalgia perhaps.😋 I am a solo camper and I do recall that it takes awhile to set up the camper by yourself.
But enough of ancient history. My question is about tent insulation. I intend to take long trips and will find myself camping in different climates and temperatures. Are there any companies that make insulation packages specifically for popups? If not, does anyone have advise/instructions on how they insulated their popup? Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Happy trails,
Sven
We insulated our aliner classic as follows. Floor, all sides, wheel wells storage areas, water tank areas with :: First, silver emergency blanket (very thin mylar) 2nd, sponge rubber squares ( we used the ones for kids play area mats as we did not realize the same squares were available on the internet without the cut out letters we had to duct tape in place) 3rd followed by a short knapp runner from Wallmart. 4th the two front and back sleeping areas we put shag bathroom mat strips on. Other than the flat of the floor, we exchanged the silver space blanket for reflectix everywhere else.
I do also like the reflectix on the windows during summer especially in the long curvy window.
Hope this helps.
K.H.

Jun 21, 2014
Happy trails,
Sven
We live in Arizona and we spent a lot of time and money insulating insulating with Reflectix on all windows. I can tell you from experience that it made very little difference. The sun out here is so intense. If you have not camped in the West, I would suggest that you get a camper with a good AC unit. This will limit where you can camp but you can at least be comfortable. Best of luck!

Sven4955

Mar 16, 2022
We insulated our aliner classic as follows. Floor, all sides, wheel wells storage areas, water tank areas with :: First, silver emergency blanket (very thin mylar) 2nd, sponge rubber squares ( we used the ones for kids play area mats as we did not realize the same squares were available on the internet without the cut out letters we had to duct tape in place) 3rd followed by a short knapp runner from Wallmart. 4th the two front and back sleeping areas we put shag bathroom mat strips on. Other than the flat of the floor, we exchanged the silver space blanket for reflectix everywhere else.
I do also like the reflectix on the windows during summer especially in the long curvy window.
Hope this helps.
K.H.
Hi Karen,
You did multiple things, all good suggestions! Thank you! Once I find my camper, I will get started on the insulation project.
Happy trails,
Sven

Sven4955

Mar 16, 2022
We live in Arizona and we spent a lot of time and money insulating insulating with Reflectix on all windows. I can tell you from experience that it made very little difference. The sun out here is so intense. If you have not camped in the West, I would suggest that you get a camper with a good AC unit. This will limit where you can camp but you can at least be comfortable. Best of luck!
Hi! I live in AZ also and definitely understand about the heat!🥵 My plan is to camp at higher elevations in summer and the desert in fall/winter. But we all know how plans go!🤣
Thanks for reaching out and happy trails to you!
Sven

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Check out the “Cold weather Camping” section.
We camped in temps from the teens (not on purpose, we tried to keep it around freezing) to close to 100*.
We would not camp at any time of year without the Popup Gizmos, for a number of reasons.
We did best in cold weather with clipping pieces of fleece around the inside of the bunk ends, and over the section to wall and door not covered with insulated curtains. This was very flexible, since we can have wide temp swings and need windows open during the day and heat at night, although our first popup didn’t have a furnace. If we knew it was going to be cold, we’d try to find a site with power for heated blanket or mattress pad and space
heater.
We still try to have power in cold weather for our small TT, such as changing plans to have power last Oct, with a very early snow storm.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I had an Apache popup--you know, the plastic hardsided "tent" trailer from the 11970s. It was warmer than a fabric tent (if you plugged the gaps and put a rug on the floor) and was also smaller and lighter than modern tent trailers which your minivan might like. Sets up faster than a canvas tent trailer. The cool factor of course is amazing. I should replace it.

Not as great in warm weather but hey...still cool.

greg fornaro

Sep 25, 2018
I block off one of the bed ends by using a comforter as an insulated curtain. The smaller space is much easier to keep warm with a small heater. i use a ceramic electric heater when i have hook ups and a mr. heater buddy propane heater if not.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Everything above and get those jigsaw play matts and put them.under the mattress. That will help. Some use heated blankets or mattresses if they have power. The small ceramic heater is what I had and it worked well. PUGS, and reflexdex in the windows. Some stuff rags around the open spots in the tenting where it meets the bed ends. And , ill be that old guy, always a good idea to have a cold weather bag as a back up. I learned that one trip as temps dropped below freezing. We got out the bags and were cozy. After that I bought the electric heater. This was one of my first trips ever, I didnt even think of putting on the onboard heater because it was june. And it never even crossed my mind.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
Small thing I never thought I would use but was awesome when it got down to 23f one night in March. My Rockwood 1640 Ltd comes with heated mattresses . Kept the chill from the exposed bottom of the bunkend down considerably .

Sven4955

Mar 16, 2022
Check out the “Cold weather Camping” section.
We camped in temps from the teens (not on purpose, we tried to keep it around freezing) to close to 100*.
We would not camp at any time of year without the Popup Gizmos, for a number of reasons.
We did best in cold weather with clipping pieces of fleece around the inside of the bunk ends, and over the section to wall and door not covered with insulated curtains. This was very flexible, since we can have wide temp swings and need windows open during the day and heat at night, although our first popup didn’t have a furnace. If we knew it was going to be cold, we’d try to find a site with power for heated blanket or mattress pad and space
heater.
We still try to have power in cold weather for our small TT, such as changing plans to have power last Oct, with a very early snow storm.
I am definitely going to purchase the Gizmos for the popup. Everyone seems universally in agreement of their value. The fleece material is something that has not occurred to me. That is going on the list as well! I am getting so many good ideas that I had never thought of. Makes me excited to get started!🤗
Thank you and happy trails!
Sven

Rebecca72

May 21, 2019
Living in Florida we used Reflectix on our bed slides (windows and vinyl roof)but not on the windows in the living area. I wanted to see the beauty that I was in :) we did notice on our last trip with our pop up the reflectix we had cut for our dinette slide for some reason didn't make the trip and it was very noticeable.

Sven4955

Mar 16, 2022
Prior to now, most all my camping was done in the northwest. Heat was never an issue, we had the rain.😬 But Reflectix seems to be a go to for most people trying to circumvent the heat. I will definitely be using that as well. The Gizmo bed covers will also be something that I invest in. I really appreciate everyone’s advise and am looking forward to new adventures.
Happy trails!