Insulation under the mattress, or, "how much space is there REALLY under that top?"

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Paul Zimmer, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer Member Silver Supporting Member

It gets quite cold hanging out there on the bed several feet above the ground. Previous owner had 1/4" rigid(ish) foam insulation under one bed - but not the other.

I'd like to put some rigid foam insulation under the mattress (BOTH beds). But just how much extra space do I have to work with? I've done some experimenting, and I'm pretty sure I can put 1/2" in there. Can I go 3/4? 1"?

Anybody ever done this and know the limit?

Thanks!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Each camper is diffrent. Get a tissue box and open and close the pup with it in diffrent spots.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I put the interlocking foam mats under both bunks, then a mattress topper of about 2". That was about my limit - I can't leave the beds made so everything has to come off before dropping the roof. Every pup is different.

Some have added skirting to the bunks which not only gives you a better protected spot to store some gear at camp, but can also reduce wind blowing underneath the bunk and sucking the heat out.

4. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Be careful, on our Coleman we really stressed everything in it by adding a topper. At least with ours, there really isn't any extra room in there.

As to your problem, with foam mattresses and quality sleeping bags we really haven't had a problem. If I had air mattresses in there, different story.

5. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  6. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

im using thicker yoga matts under my mattress for insulation & padding. i make my bed with wool blankets under the bottom sheet & fuzzy blanket on top.