Insurance??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by WayCoolFamily, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. WayCoolFamily

WayCoolFamily New Member

Hello-
    I am new here and my family just purchased a 1998 Coleman Natchez popup. I am finding it difficult to get insurance coverage. Do you have any advice? What company do you use? Just looking for general help and I have no professional association with an insurance company.
    Thank you

2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I’m in Canada but my broker gave me the choice between heavy full coverage or just basic liability when driving. The liability was maybe 20$ per year so I took that. If something happens to it (theft or otherwise) in my driveway, it’s my home insurance that handles it. My only vulnerable time is theft when camping or traveling. But for the several hundred dollar per year cost of that insurance, I could rebuy the contents of the camper every year. And since I lock my coupler, I’m not overly worried about the trailer itself being hauled off

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I got my insurance through Good Sam, but mine is new. What kind of insurance are looking for? Liability? Comprehensive? Collision? Contents?

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

First of all, welcome to the Portal, glad you decided to join. .... It may all depend where you are, Canada or USA. I'm in Canada. I go with an outfit called Aviva insurance. They are located in Scarborough Ont., which is basically Toronto. Mine has full coverage, but replacement is based on the current value of the Pup. So as it gets older, they will give me less for it in case of a right off or theft. I keep an eye on the price of similar used trailers in southern Ont, and copy those ads into a folder on the computer so I can show them what stuff is worth around here if something happens. We pay $156 / year, taxes in.

Madlifter1850 likes this.
  5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Progressive, Geico & Good Sam's all provide RV coverage. I have State Farm on my 5th Wheel and Good Sam's on my Hybrid. I cover the pup myself.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Another Canuck, and I have the trailer insured thru my car/house/utility trailer and atv's insurance company, so I get a good deal, cost about $400 for the year for full coverage.

7. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

I have Allstate. My popup is covered for liability as long as it is connected to the TV. Since I only paid 1500.0 for the camper I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars a year for extra insurance.

8. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I have Progressive insurance. I mainly have it since they cover roadside assistance as part of it...

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Mine is through Geico as part of my auto insurance.

10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Check with your auto and homeowners agent, as you probably already have some coverage. One of the biggest non-covered risks is towing. If your vehicle (or popup) breaks down and has to be towed to a shop, many tow companies will want to charge you extra for the popup towing. AAA+RV covers that.

11. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

We've always had a policy with Progressive.

12. Matt T

Matt T Member

Is it common for homeowners insurance to cover it since it’s parked on your property or did you have to call them and set it up and let them know you purchased a camper?