Interesting Article

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by threebeachboys, Oct 15, 2020.

1. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about it. She only buys well-maintained tent trailers that need only cosmetic work and then she doubles the price to sell it. So she's a tent trailer flipper. Unfortunately, that takes some inexpensive trailers off the market for folks who can't afford more - leaving them with a bunch of cr@p trailers that need extensive work in their price range. It ends up pricing people out of the market.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like she's an entrepreneur and has found a niche market. She has skills and it's legal. She's making a profit, which is why you work, so you are not dependent on others or the government.

4. Toedtoes

That's why I prefaced with I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I just keep envisioning some family missing out on that inexpensive mechanically sound trailer that was in their price range and that they would have loved to fix up and go camping.

Paul_A likes this.
  5. Negativez0

Negativez0 New Member

Good for her! She's found an opportunity to make a few bucks doing something she enjoys and someone else gets a well decorated camper they can appreciate. Sounds like a win win to me.

WrkrBee likes this.
  6. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

I've renovated and sold 2 popups and believe there's not a lot of money in the flip. I kept track of my hours and had a good spreadsheet of expenses. Made about 12 bucks an hour and it's harder work than you think. This was all pre covid so popups now might command a better price. I didn't have a nice workshop in the backyard for it to keep it out of weather. I didn't put lipstick on the pig, though. I actually repacked bearings and cleaned and lubed lift system components among other very subtle but important details.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. Toedtoes

To me the work you did sounds a lot more worth my money than what she does. I'd rather have a sound camper than a decorated one.

jmkay1 and HappyTraveler like this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

@Toedtoes I'm right there with you. I much rather buy a camper where things have been maintained, fixed, etc vrs a camper that just had cabinets painted and new curtains put in. It's still the same old camper underneath the new paint. I do understand why she enjoys flipping the camper , much like how my cousin flips houses. He actually enjoys doing the work himself and watching it go into someone else's hands like a job well done. He always has a sense of completion along with a healthy dose of problem solving skills. Although with house flipping it's usually way more involved than new paint and you know you have a good foundation so long as you have a good inspector.

9. Toedtoes

I love home design shows and doing design myself. The one positive thing from the burglary is that I got to redo my house top to bottom. I picked my own paint colors, my own upholstery and curtains and flooring and furniture and other decor. It is mine in all aspects.

Most home flippers focus on the bones of the house - modernizing the layout and updating the "built-in" pieces (cabinetry, flooring, etc). They leave the decor to the homebuyer.

I just can't imagine buying someone else's personality.