Interior ceiling fix?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by pbois, Jun 2, 2013.

1. pbois

pbois New Member

Well my new Rcokwood freedom 1620 purchase is becoming a nice project, ha ha. The roof has been leaking and the luan ceiling was sagging so I ripped half of the luan down to the styrofoam. The side boards still seem solid so i was think about taking sheets of the plastic that is used in bathroom and trying to glue it up to the styrofoam. Has anyone used this for the ceiling? Do you think I could get it to stick ? of should I through bolt it. I know the roof leaks and I will seal it after I fix the ceiling. I have the whole unit in my garage so I am not concerned about the weather. Just looking for some advice and tips if anyone can point me in the right direction

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Maybe you could add a couple of ribs to fastern the ceiling to. And get the right glue for the job.

3. pbois

pbois New Member

Ok, so i dove into this project head first and started to take down the ceiling. I figured it would be easier to remove the roof and put it upside down on saw horses. The came off fairly easy I just hope I can remember how to put it back together, lol. I figured I would fix the interior ceiling first and then tackle the exterior leak issue. The side boards seem decent and in good shape. So I am not going to touch them. I was able to remove almost half of the rotten luan with a putty knife in about a half hour. The main leak appears to be from the square roof vent as i think I may have to replace the wood framing around it. Thinking about sheeting the ceiling with 1/4" plywood and then covering with the plastic sheeting from Home Depot. Any thoughts? Also I took a ton of pics but can't figure out how to attach them. Any tips?

4. postnetnc133

postnetnc133 Member

Is 1/4" too heavy for the main area of the roof?

5. pbois

pbois New Member

Yeah I was wondering that to. Maybe I should just put Luan back on it

6. pbois

pbois New Member

going to try and upload a photo[​IMG]

7. mark.sibole

mark.sibole New Member

1/4 inch may be a tad heavy.Go with the luan then paint it with a heavy nap roller to give it the texture.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Does the pup have AC? The lift mechanism and roof itself is built to accept the weight of an AC unit, plus some amount of safety factor. Going from 1/8" to 1/4" is not all that much of a weight gain. Now the FRP panels you are considering weigh more than the plywood but still not all that much. An AC unit weighs anywhere for 70 to 100 lbs depending on brand.

The downfall with all of that is if you ever then want to throw AC on in the future.

9. postnetnc133

postnetnc133 Member

2 sheets of luan making 1/4" I would think is lighter then 1 - 1/4" sheet of plywood. If it is that may be an alternative for you.

10. pbois

pbois New Member

[​IMG]

11. pbois

pbois New Member

Ok, so i tried to upload a few pics of the project. I will be going to home depot on Friday and checking out my options. I will keep you guys updated on my progress

12. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

13. tentcamper

tentcamper New Member

I had an issue with the vent leaking too. Sadly the guy I bought it from didn't disclose that fact, instead he went to the local home center, got some of their sheet paneling and covered the existing ceiling. He did a pretty decent job too because I would have never guessed... until the day after it rained.
    removed the ceiling to find the original ceiling. Removed the original to the Styrofoam. Had to replace the framing for the vent, and while I had it stripped down, I added an additional wood cross member to split the roof into three sections. I then went down tot he local home center and got some of the same paneling product. It's a basically vinyl bamboo veneer on some luan board. I nailed it up in three section to the replaced framing, and then trimmed the seams, and edges of the panel(s) with thin strips of white oak to cover the nails (it's coloration and grain pattern lend itself to the "bamboo") I think it turned out pretty well... and wasn't too expensive... I'll try to post some pictures.

14. pbois

pbois New Member

Wow, what a nice job on your ceiling. My foam doesn't seem that waterlogged and was wondering if it would dry out by leaving it baking in the sun?

15. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

From what I told it is better to replace, just for example after I tore mine out it was outside for 2 weeks the outside was dry but the inside was still soaked. If you putting money in to it fix it all and be done! Good luck!

16. pbois

pbois New Member

Yup I started to rent the foam tonight and it is water logged inside . What type of foam panels do most people use and where can I get them?

17. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Home Depot, I used poly shield due to the backing on it does not get ate up by the liquid nails, plus it is exactly the thickness to be flush with the 1/4 thick wood.

18. pbois

pbois New Member

I stripped all of the foam out today and noticed on each side of the top vent there is a 1/2" piece of flat stock steel running the width of the top. It have no intentions of putting an ac on the roof do I have to put steel back in it?

19. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

I would say yes , selling point in the future!

20. Up the Mountain

Up the Mountain Member

Any kind of structural additions that you can incorporate will help with the strength of the roof, so try keep the metal in the same positions. They way that they sandwich it all together means that they do not have to put in additional struts or bracing (unless you install an AC).

I wish that there was more metal flashing throughout mine so that the screws or rivets have a better hold. I did use 6" galvanized flashing in some places and was glad for that, but the original workmanship was done haphazardly.

The adhesives depend on what kind of materials that you use - some recommend PL300 for foamboard but that will not adhere very well to the FRP/NRP since it is not porous like luan. Read your labels and read other posts....