Interior light replacement

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Popup Winger, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Popup Winger

Popup Winger Member

I am looking at etrailer for replacing my Fleetwood Wiliamsburg interior lights with their Optronics LED RV Interior Double light. Their item # RVill34. These are listed at 815 lumens and would like to know if anyone else has done that swap. Mainly I'm concerned that the mounting holes line up with original lights before I purchase them and discover they don't.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

A good chance that the mounting holes won't be the same. Won't make any difference as the new fixture will/should cover the existing holes

Raycfe likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Why not just replace the bulbs?

4. Popup Winger

Popup Winger Member

I only need 4 interior replacement bulbs and purchasing them separately is quite pricey. As far as I found you either buy per piece or in a package of 10 or more.

5. Sjm9911

A package of 10 is like 10 bucks? And now you have spares. You need 2 per light right? Up to you. Just easier, imho.

6. Popup Winger

Popup Winger Member

Great, thanks for all the ideas.I will look into replacing the bulbs, which should be must easier anyway.

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

If you are just replacing the bulbs for surface mount lights, you might want to get SMD LED boards (they are flat) that have the specific adapter for your light socket. The boards come with foam tape and you just mount them on the surface of your lights and plug them in. They are very inexpensive and come in different sizes and lumens. They work great with any surface mount light where the light is only shining in basically one direction. You can get them on ebay, amazon, ... They are less than $1 each. We switched ours over and they have worked great for 6+ years.

davekro likes this.
  8. Popup Winger

Popup Winger Member

Ok thank you.for info

9. davekro

davekro Active Member

I am not sure what exactly I am looking for. 'SMD LED board' search on Amazon brought up all different kinds of things. Can someone post a link to specific lights you have bought and used? One thing that surprised me was as I was looking to replace one of the two incandescent bulbs, I thought I'd like to buy brighter bulbs, but didn't because of the warning of melting the plastic fixture. But on our first trip the standard bulbs almost seemed obnoxiously bright. I think I needed to not stare at the light! ;o) I'd like to change to LED for battery saving, but am concerned about randomly buying 'way too bright' LED bulbs. Anyone familiar with brightness levels of specific bulbs for pup interior ceiling fixtures? I have two fixtures with one bulb each. I have no idea if I want a certain Lumen brightness or certain Kelvin color range. Or what maybe to avoid in changing to LED interior lights.

I did already replaced the tail/brake fixtures and marker lights with (cool looking ;o) LEDs. It feels way safer as the 20 year old incandescent fixtures were not very bright at all.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 8.02.09 PM.png from Amazon. work great

11. Sjm9911

12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

13. davekro

davekro Active Member

Thanks for all the info guys! Today I am focused on installing my new Tekonsha PS trailer brake controller and 7 way plug in the TV. I'll be back to lights after that.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I replaced all the bulbs on the inside with LEDs. I just looked on Amazon and found ones that had the same socket, but I did make sure to get ones that were rated for marine use - they generally had a voltage range that went up to 24 or 30V. Those ones seemed to have a much less frequent failure rate in campers as our 12V voltage will fluctuate. I also picked ones that had a warmer light spectrum - I can't stand that bright white/bluish light that so many LEDs give off. Mine are very similar to an incandescent bulb, so I have been pretty happy. Been in for 4 years now, and they were pretty cheap to buy a pack of them, and I still have some spares.