interior lights - dim and dimming more!!!!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by nexus, Jul 15, 2014.

1. nexus

nexus New Member

I have a coleman Viking 16 foot trailer and while it has several interior overhead 12 volt lights, i have had no problems until last night. My daughter claimed the lights "just went out". I found that if i turned a light on it was dim and not as bright as usual but then turning on a second light made the first one to go out and turn back on with the second one very very dim.

The only thing that is weird tho, is that my exterior 12 volt security light is bright and is not affected by this phenomenon.

Thinking outloud, if the converter was the issue, the exterior light would act the same, would it not?

I have no battery on this trailer and everything was working just fine until last night. All of my 125 volt power seems to be fine and unaffected.

I have yet to test the converter outout, but given that the exterior light is unaffected i am thinking a grounding issue or short somewhere? Also, I should mention that as of yet, the fuse has not popped.

2. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Clean the bottom of the bulbs. bad conection could be the problem

3. seigell

seigell New Member

Check the wires connecting the Interior Light circuit to the Converter. Likely either the Hot or the Ground has started to come loose, or corrode within its connector.

4. nexus

nexus New Member

Im going to go out tomorrow morn and look at some things, but SEIGELL, if it was the connector from the converter to the interior lights wiring, why does the 12 volt exterior safety light (porch light) work no problem? That is whats screwing with me.

I am wondering if the wires going from the box to the ceiling has come loose (the porch light is located at knee height near the door and NOT up near the top of the door like some.

5. lmfishon505

lmfishon505 New Member

Sounds like a ground problem. Make sure there is no corrosion on that particular circuit.

6. seigell

seigell New Member

Any lights mounted in the Ceiling need to have Wiring run through the "Wire Loom" (usually a plastic tube running from the Box to the Ceiling through a flap in the Tenting), while any Light mounted to the Exterior of the Box would be a "direct run".

Since you described it as a "dimming", I'm thinking that you have a corroded or loose connection rather than a broken wire.

That's a possibility, too. The first place to look is starting at the Converter.

7. nexus

nexus New Member

So why would this happen then............

if i turn on one ceiling light it is 50% of the brightness it should be. If I turn on a second ceiling light, they both are 25% of what they should be. This continues for every additional light till none have any brightness..........

but the porch light which is definately a direct run......yet it is still part of the 12 volt system remains bright at 100% output. So it couldnt be the converter.

8. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Because there are two separate wires from the converter to the sets of lights. Your ceiling lights go through a safety switch and a connector to the the light. The wire to the porch light goes directly to the light and is not affected by what the ceiling lights do.

9. nexus

nexus New Member

Thanks all. The issue was in fact the harness that goes to the ceiling. the white wire came loose. the moment i touched it the lights went bright. I have since cut all wires at the connection and put brand new connectors.

10. Phranc

Phranc New Member

I'm glad you found it.