Internal Fridge Fan - What have you got? Where did you get it?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by Pops64, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pops64

Pops64 Member

Been doing some mods to try and get more efficiency out of our 3 way fridge. Created baffles and installed a 12 volt fan to pull additional air past the external cooling fins.

I'd like to add a battery powered internal fan, but I can't seem to find one small enough. If you have one, please tell me what your using and where you go it.

Pics are great too if you have them. Thanks.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Got mine off e-bay, e-mail add. is [email protected] for bout 18 bucks, sorry no pics, nice little unit with 2 fans on the bracket

3. tsc

tsc Member

I just got this One this week. I don't know how well it works, until wed.

4. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

I made one out of a 12VDC computer fan connected to an old phone charger. If you are looking for battery operated I'm sure you could modify it with a battery pack from Radio Shack. All you are trying to do is move the air.

5. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

I used a computer fan as well. It barely draws any current. Cost was $4 plus some wiring to tap it into my 12v setup and into a switch so I could control when it was on or off. To give you a idea it did not even show a voltage drop when turned on all day. Of course I have solar and it was charging higher than the fan could draw. [:D]

Here is my post with my info:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=49599.0

6. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

I bought that one too. Cheap enough, but it has no off switch. You have to pull the batteries to turn it of when not being used. I was a little sad to find that. The "Blue boxes" have an off switch and may be the better choice?
    I took mine apart and added a switch. Seems to work , ok. The fan is much smaller than I though it would be. Still , it should help mix the air inside.

7. Pops64

Pops64 Member

I like the idea of a 12 volt computer fan, but how did you get the wiring out of the fridge to a power source?

8. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

The wire is very thin. A small hole was drilled in the back of the refrigerator and the wire was fed through from the back. then the fan was connected to the wire. We don't usually camp with out electric, but you could just wire it into the 12VDC on the back side of the refrigerator. Just plan out the location of the hole before you drill.

9. bobb050

bobb050 Member

10. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

I have a icebox so there is a drain from the ice shelf. I just ran the wire up through the drain hole. Worked out well however I am thinking of doing a 12v/110AC fridge down the road so not sure if I will even need the circulator at that point. With a full bag of ice on the ice shelf and the fan running I got the icebox down to 40F. Plenty cool for the food being stored in there.

11. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

Here is what I did to my fridge. Makes all the difference is the world for keeping the fridge below 40 degrees all the time..AZ [8D]

[​IMG]

12. Pops64

Pops64 Member

Thanks so much for all the replies. Went by my local RV shop this afternoon and picked up one of the little blue box type battery powered fans. Plan to give it a try tonight. May still try the 12 volt computer fan in the future. They appear to take up very little space.

13. Pops64

Pops64 Member

My baffle and fan mod looks just like yours. I'm still testing, but I haven't gotten my fridge below 40. Only mid 40s at night. But it's been over 100 for about 35 days in Dallas. Lows in the mid 80s. I'm hoping the internal fan makes the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.