Internet at campground.

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by bduck40, Jun 18, 2013.

1. bduck40

bduck40 Member

Having trouble with Internet at campground. Place has wifi. But when I log on it says I'm connected but do not have Internet. Never seen this before. Any ideas?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most places we camp don't have wi-fi at all, but we have had mixed results with those that have had it. Some don't seem to have a lot of capacity, so surfing the web is pretty useless. Last week, evenings were so slow we gave up, but early in the morning was fine.

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to log in. Have you tried to open your web browser?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

It's probably something upstream of the access point that is beyond your control if this particular device works on other wifi networks. Do you have another device that you can associate with the wifi network? If that one doesn't work either then it's likely a problem with the park's system.

The other problem at a lot of parks is that they use very high gain antennas (10-15+ db) on outdoor high power radios (100+ mW) and space them far apart. Your consumer devices generally have very low gain antennas (<5 db) and very low transmit power radios (~33-66 mW). So, your device will hear their gear extremely well, even far away from the access point but when your device transmits back their gear can barely "hear" your device. Their high gain antennas do help their gear hear better but sometimes it's not enough to hear a far away device with minimal combined transmit power such as a smart phone, especially in an area with a lot of rf noise (I.e. a lot of competing devices). Your phone may see a -60 dBm (i.e. very good signal) while the access point may only see a -85 dBm (i.e. crap, pretty much unusable signal) from your phone.

5. mv520

mv520 Active Member

Along the lines of Jimbow, all the places we go require you to agree to their terms of service once you connect. i.e, open a web browser and the page that will be pushed to you has the TOS that you'll have to click on to "agree" and then your good to go. While a PC user probably opens a web browser first thing and doesn't have problems, a smart phone or tablet user may run into this much more often as they likely are just going to use a mail or weather app, etc. as opposed to browser and you run into this problem if you don't go into the web browser first. And you'll possibly have to repeat this ever time you pick up the device and turn it back on.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Most of the places I go have a password to connect to the server OR a "splash" page that comes up when you open the browser and have to agree to something so you can connect, or get directed to the pay for wifi service provider.

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

What Jeff d said. There is enough signal to connect, not enough to get logged on. That's what happens with broadband. You essentially run out of bandwidth and the signal is too far out to reach back in. Walk closer to the office or the access point. I know one place I was at, I was connected but every page I attempted failed. Walked outside the pup, sat on a boulder in front of the site and it worked, slow but nonetheless on. Probably going to invest in a plug and play wifi repeater. I'd go with a directional antenna but it is problematic wth iPad.

8. bduck40

bduck40 Member

Talked with the campground last night and they said they would reset the router ( I think) it is working as of this morning. Thanks for all the help.