Intro from 10-Year PUP Owner, Looking for New PUP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by raising4daughters, Aug 24, 2019.

1. raising4daughters

raising4daughters New Member

Greetings - I've been on other forums but just found this one. We have owned a 2007 Jayco 1007 PUP since late 2009 and just completed our 10th season. My screen name is a bit out of date in that our oldest three girls are 21, 25, and 26. We aren't raising them any more. Only our "baby" is still camping with us. She's 12. Eldest lives 13,000 miles away in Australia, and #2, while she lives at home for now, is engaged and hasn't vacationed with us for a few years.

We took 2 week-long trips with the PUP this summer. Once with just three (wife, 12 y/o, and me) and five on the other (with 12 y/o's friend and our 21 y/o college senior).

Our beef with the Jayco 1007 is that it's too much work to head out for 2-4 night weekend trips. No storage, awning sucks, etc. Experienced PUP owners know.

We're looking to increase from 15 nights to 20-25 nights next year and thereafter since our 12 y/o isn't returning to softball, and we want a PUP with more inside space, more storage space, and easier setup. Still, we don't have or want a TV for a hybrid or TT, so we're comfortable with simply going to a bigger PUP. And, oddly enough, while our suburban development is OK with PUPs in the backyard, they frown on HTTs and TTs, so a new, bigger PUP avoids storage costs.

We're OK staying with a PUP. We're 54 now, healthy, and reasonably fit and figure a new, bigger PUP will last 'til we retire and turn to the dark side for a TT, 5er, or Class C in about 10 years.

I'll post separately on where we're at with buying a new PUP.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm curious. You say your biggest problem is with set up but I actually have more setup with my bigger camper. Grant you I jumped from a Jayco 1006 to a Fleetwood Utah with a slideout. I absolutely love having a slide out but it's more work to set up and a ton more canvas to stuff in.
    Now if you get a highwall one of the most heavier popups made you don't have to setup the sink anymore but those bunk ends are high and the use of a stool may be required to pull them out. Personally I didn't want an electric lift as from everyone I knew that had them were cursing them as they kept on breaking and it didn't bother me to crank. Maybe you can try and rent a larger popup to see if it's what you were thinking. Storage is always a premium In any popup. I loved my 1006 because I had a ton of counter space. I now got less counter space with my camper. It's a trade off really. I wanted more walking space and bigger beds. To get my wish I had to trade in my counters. Now if I had my way, I would ditch the stupid couch and put counters there. Lots of different layouts but it always seems that the bigger popups meant more amenities which takes up your storage room.

3. raising4daughters

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps setup was a bad word choice on my part. It's more about the fact that so much of our gear has to go on/in the TV which means a concentrated, intense, stressful packing effort just before leaving. Bikes go on the roof and rear of the TV, not camper. Clothes and food in the TV. Tiki torches, pie irons, crates of bug spray, sunscreen, beach umbrellas, spare EZ-up awning, etc.

The thing that appeals to us about a 5er or TT is that they're like a mobile 2nd house. We want to put as much stuff in our camper, including camping clothes, toiletries, etc. in the camper on May 1 and not have to worry about packing them if we want to take a 3-day weekend. Then, of course, there's the unloading of the TV once we get to the campsite. So, it's more about the pack/load and unpack/unload than actual setup.

Plus, it appears that newer PUPs have electric motors to crank up the roof and easier-up awnings. We see lots of advantages for our style of camping in a bigger PUP. We'd go HTT, TT, or even 5er if either of us would drive a truck but that's not worth it to us for the other 48-50 weeks per year.

4. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

You definitely want to avoid a slide out. We love the space when it’s set up, but it’s extra time setting up and it destroys all of the storage space inside on the floor. So we have to fill up the back of the pickup (Nissan Frontier) plus put suitcases in the cab (4-door cab).

jmkay1 likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

raising4daughters likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with Tom Jordan. For what you want, then avoid a camper with a slide out. You will lose all the room inside the camper with the slide out. Perhaps find a camper with a front trunk or a storage rack in front. That will give you more room to store gear. I personally find it easier to keep clothes and food in the tow vehicle and keep it there. That way I don’t have to popup the camper before a trip and don’t have to worry about moving it when at camp. Then again I also camp in bear country and food has to be stored in the car or bear box anyway. Good luck finding the camper that works for you.

7. raising4daughters

Definitely good and appreciated input. Someone else warned me about the loss of floor space (when closed) due to the dinette. That said, a slideout dinette is actually our #1 new priority. We do want more space, too.

I think we may have found two options, however, that negate some of the concerns you express. For one, Tom's 228D lacks the front storage compartment that comes with the 823D. We see that as mandatory unless we go HighWall even if it means a new TV in 2-3 years. In addition, the 228D comes with gaucho sofa that we believe is unnecessary seating/sleeping for us (since we expect to have only 3-4 most of the time). We looked at a 625D with shower/toilet and long gaucho sofa. With that one, we'd agree with both of you 100%....maybe less storage than our 10' box with no slideout dinette.

Take a look at the increased interior storage with the 823D. A long cabinet replaces the gaucho sofa. Would love to rent one to confirm, but we think this one would give us the benefit of additional storage AND a slideout dinette.
    https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/camping-trailers/flagstaff-tent/823D/792

Even this isn't perfect, but it seems to be the best mix of options for us. But, even then, we're starting to give serious consideration to a 14' HighWall.

8. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

5BDF2B63-EA79-42E5-961D-DA5FB5F31F3E.jpeg DEF41F57-B74F-4281-BF6F-D268F3E31F8A.jpeg We have a Rockwood 2716g (forest river) and absolutely love it. Have had it for about 3 years now and go out about one weekend a month. For storage, when the slideout is closed you have no access to the center aisle like you normally would, but you have room for 4 large totes between the shower/cassette toilet cabinet and bed when closing up. We put our pillows under the stove cabinet when swung in the down position and blankets fit on top of cabinets and under bed slides. I have a Toyota Tundra for my t/v and hardly have to put anything in it! Heard the 2018 models are bad though, that’s where they changed to green pinstripes outside, but think they figured it out on the new ones again. No issues with the slideout, extra canvas is no problem at all. Just make sure when you push slide in you pull canvas out while you slide bunks in. But even with all that it’s maybe a minute longer for tear down.

9. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

68171A81-53BB-483E-8FA4-BB2677B6E54D.png D72AA671-EFB8-43E0-981F-D16DEAFD8E09.png On the floor plan you can fit tubs by the cassette area, and personally think you get more storage than the front bin because you can stack them. Plus you can get a few tubs by door. And you’d be surprised how often we use that couch to just hang out! But whatever you choose, have a great time with it!

10. raising4daughters

Thanks. We definitely see the value of the toilet/shower and gaucho esp. in inclement weather. It's a tough call on seating vs. storage. Thanks for the photos and suggestions.

11. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Any time. Also forgot to add there’s two access doors on slideout for storage. Under the seats for dinette is all storage accessible from outside or inside. That’s where we keep our chairs(4) and all our grilling and fire supplies with room left over. You can pack that with everything you need for trip so only thing you need in tv is food and clothing. Sorry for sounding like a bad salesman, we just love this model!

12. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Our gaucho is rarely more than a place to stack stuff. I’ve thought about tearing it out and replacing it with a better storage option. But it’s usually just the wife and I. Maybe grandkids will eventually change my mind. I like the 823D layout as well as the 2716 G. Hope you find something nice soon.

kgesiako likes this.
  13. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oklahoma. Good luck in your search.

14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png