Intruding neighbor

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by BarbaraFaith, Jul 13, 2012.

1. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Camped at a fishing resort last weekend. The resort had about 10 cabins, a large number of seasonal RV's and 4 camping spots. The lots were extremely small, but we figured so, and it didn't matter since we were there to fish, and didn't spend alot of time at our site.

DH & I actually like spending time with each other, have similar interests and enjoy each other's company. We work opposite shifts, and I have to work everyother weekend, so a weekend together is somewhat special. It's not that we're anti-social, we'll say hi, or wave to other campers, and have met some nice people when out.

Last weekend, just after we set up, a group set up next to us. It was a husband and wife, and a brother-in-law. To make a long story short, they weren't there to fish, just to camp-out, and the wife was obviously there to make new friends. The guys stuck to themselves, but the wife spent her time, forcing herself on us, or the campers on the other side of them, anytime anyone was outside of their tent/PUP. We heard the same old couple of stories time and time again. Now this was a middle aged woman (she told us her age several times) who wore very skimpky, provactive outfits, (not camping appropriate) and changed them at least 4 times a day. I was brought up to "not air your dirty linen in public", but she went on and on, with stories about her life.

We tried not to be rude. However, Saturday night, DH & I had been out on the boat all day, and returned just before dark, and were at our picnic table eating. She comes over, literallly standing up against our picnic table relating the same tales of dysfunction over and over again as we attempted to eat our dinner. DH & I just ended up eating and not responding to her. The only way we got away from her was that we had to leave to go a campfire and sing along that one of the seasonal folks invited us to.

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

you're WAY too nice [:D] i think you should have just told her what the first part of your post was, that a weekend together is a very special thing for you and hubby.....i mean i'm a friendly guy, and will talk to the people around me, but geesh, enough is enough

3. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

sounds to me like this woman doesn't get to socialize much, and when she does way overdoes it. Sorry about your experience.

4. gketchup

gketchup Member

I feel for you! We had a similar situaiton on vacation a few years ago. I do in home daycare and get one week off in the summer. We spend it camping at one of our favorite local campgrounds. I was so excited to get away from other people's children and couldn't wait for Monday when the campground would (typically) empty out. In my dream world, we were going to have the campground to ourselves for the week! Life was great until Monday morning when a family of 5 showed up and pitched their tent in the spot right next to ours! They proceeded to let their children make themselves at home at our campsite for the next 4 days! They asked for snacks, played with my kids toys and set up their chairs around our campfire! Here I was, on vacation from daycare kids and still watching other people's children! I know I should have been more bold and said something, but I didn't. [:(]

5. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Try one of these next time

" I'm sorry, could you excuse us, my husband just got out of prison for murder and were trying to catch up "

" Honey I think this lice shampoo is working my head only itches half as bad as it use to "

" Remember that time our camper exploded ? Whoa what a fireball eh! "

6. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

^^^^^^ [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

7. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Those are great [LOL] [LOL]

8. CJohns

CJohns New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]I especially like the one about the Lice!

Cory

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We also had an intruding neighbor once. We were in a CG in Banff NP in Alberta. This guy and his wife were next to us in a hybrid. He came over to talk as we were setting up and just hung around. We left to go sightseeing and when we came back he saw us coming and walked into our site to meet us before we even got out of the truck. The wife apparently preferred to read because she would spend the day sitting in their truck with a book. He stayed while we cooked and ate, too. This went on the first day and into the second. My wife was beside herself but is the type who would never say anything. Well, I'm not, so I took the guy aside and explained that we enjoyed a bit of chit chat with him but didn't want that to go on all of the time. I said that we wanted to rest quietly and spend time with just the two of us as well and I'd let him know when we wanted to chat, otherwise please don't come to our site. He said he understood and left but the rest of the time they were there we got hate looks from the wife every time she saw us. He looked angry but wasn't as obvious about it. We were there for a week. They were there when we arrived and, thankfully, left on our fourth day. IMO, no one is required to bear someone's else's inappropriate behavior. It is not rude to put an end to their rudeness.

10. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We are much the same as you, Barbara. We live in a city and when we go camping, we are happy to get away from people and crowds. We're civil to others, will wave to neighbors when we arrive, will respond nicely when someone wants to see our cute a-frame (inevitable in a campground), and will smile as people walk by, but we've never understood why people want to strike up conversations with total strangers. We'll speak to someone for a moment if spoken to but always excuse ourselves politely as soon as we can.

It's camping! It's a get-away for us. If we want to interact with strangers, we'll stay in the city.

[That said, we have enjoyed the times we've encountered people from the Portal...] :)

11. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

I am a social person, and will wave and say Hi to almost anyone...

If I see you having morning coffee, I will chip out a nice 'Mornin' over in your direction

I have NEVER just walked onto someone else's site, or invited myself to their activities.

If I am sitting there, relaxing, and hear or see someone struggling with something, I will walk by and ask how they are doing, and let them know that if they need any help, I will gladly do so if they ask for it.

There are some folks that inadvertently ask for help, without realizing it too. and most people will offer their opinions if they have had experience with it. ( much like a forum)

What those folks did to you was wrong though, and should have at least ASKED if you wanted some company.

12. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Maybe what you need for those times when a nosy intruder of the two legged variety stops by for one of those non stop chats is one of those fart machines. and when the visitors start to wear out their welcome....Pbttttt oh sorry, I had pickled eggs, beans and cabbage washed down with a couple of beers for supper last night Pbtttttt. Oh excuse me, I need to change.

13. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I am also a social animal and will wave and say hi to anyone who will look my way. I would never enter any-ones campsite and think it okay to chat away. Most people with a bit common sense can determine when somebody wants to chat and when they don't. As much as I love meeting other people, I also like my campsite to be "mine." I love it when someone stops by, says howdy and makes a little small talk, but I do not want them to stay for hours. I have no problem telling anyone when it is time to move on. Most of the time it takes no more than saying, "maybe we will get a chance to chat again but I am busy eating/reading/ napping/whatever, right now." While I have invited "newly met campers" go grab a bowl of chili or a burger with us, I would NEVER indulge in someone DISTURBING our dinner. I would have sent her packing and I would not have cared if she thought me rude.

14. papachaz

papachaz New Member

UT, you KNOW you got the hate looks from her, because now she had to put up with him again, right?? LOL at our mini rally we had at the first of June, there was a guy and his wife camped between GA Judy and chrismarque in a big ole motor home who invited himself over every time he saw some of us out....and to make it worse, he was a drinker. nothing wrong with an adult indulging themselves in a beverage if the moods strikes, but geesh i don't think i ever saw him without his glass, and he was very annoying. and he didn't care when we poked fun at him. I do believe she pushed him out, handed him his bottle and glass and locked the door behind him, i rarely saw them together.

yep UT, she was definitely mad at you for ruining HER get away [:D] [:D]

15. freenaz

freenaz Member

You could also have one of their kids go ask if they have some lice shampoo you could borrow. [LOL] [LOL]

16. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

My German Shepherd helps with intruding guests by simply saying NO when they ask....Is your dog friendly? [LOL]

17. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I love the way you handled that situation!!!

18. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i am definitely going to remember to ask for lice shampoo....i can how that one can and will work to rid your campsite of unwanted guests, young and old! [LOL] [LOL]

19. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

I've never had this happen at a CG. However in work and other places I have.

Anyways I never thought of it happening at a campground, so now you gave me some more stuff to think about when I see someone walking my direction..... "LICE!"... that is funny :)

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I must be too obnoxious since this has never happened to me. I do tend to pick sites that are at the end of a loop and out of the way.