Intruding neighbor

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by BarbaraFaith, Jul 13, 2012.

1. 2318gman

2318gman New Member

Ugh. I'm there to be alone. We've gone home because of noisy/intrusive neighbors before. I like to scout locations and write down the numbers of nice secluded campsites and then use those to make reservations. My absolute favorite spots are those where the nearest neighbor is at least 50 yards away.

2. mgeiger

mgeiger New Member

My camper is ugly enough that most people steer clear.

You've got o be honest with people. If they can't respect that, then that's their problem.

Also, I had a guy use the "on parole" line on me on an AT hike. Dunno if he wanted the shelter to himself or if he was legit. Regardless, 20 miles from the nearest paved road - I chose to hike on.

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

^^^I love how you say this, actually, LOL!!!!!

That just sounds horrible having to listen to some crazy woman rambling on and on... ugh. I am so sorry [:(O]

I actually made a really nice friend last Mother's Day when we were camping. Our boys met her boys at the play area. I went over to 'meet the parents' as I do whenever my boys make friends at the camp ground - just to check them out and make sure they aren't ax murderers or anything. They were a nice couple who were taking their boys tent camping for the 1st time ever. We chatted briefly and she expressed interest in seeing what the inside of a popup looked like. So I invited her over for the five cent tour... She and her husband and Peter and I talked for a good two hours while the kids played. We had lots of things in common. We exchanged email addresses, are now facebook friends and are following each other on pinterest! We are planning on camping together sometime soon. We are planning a beach playdate for the Moms and boys soon as well [:D]

4. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Too funny!!! The only thing my [DOG] is interested in is a [WL]

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

But how would you know from a short chat? Really. Even ax murders and serial killers can act like perfectly normal people when they want to. How many times have we heard neighbors on the news say that Joe X seemed like such a nice and normal guy after he went off and assaulted a fast food restaurant with an automatic rifle? When they caught Ted Bundy everyone who had met him said he seemed like such a nice young man, very charming.

I'm sort of half kidding you and half for real on this.

Toedtoes likes this.
  6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Well, that's sure throwing cold water on what I otherwise thought sounded like a really nice experience for JeepMama. Geesh... what a downer!

7. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

LOL, you are right UT, I couldn't possibly be able to tell if they were ax murderers or not. I was sort of half kidding too [;)]

I am more going over to see who they are, make my presense known as a Mom who is keeping watch over my children. Hopefully letting them know that I know who they are, where their site is. I usually let them know that my kids are not allowed to go to anyone else's camp site without me etc. We try to give our boys the sense of a little freedom while camping but in reality, Peter and I have them in our sights at all times. You just can't trust anyone these days - sad but true. ALSO, we don't want our kids to be those INTRUDING NEIGHBORS everyone is complaining about!

It really was a great, happy experience Vicki! No cold water here, I think I made a really great friend that day :)

8. singledad

singledad New Member

I am very out going too, I like to say hi to everyone I see, they all don't respond back tho. I have no friends, really except the one couple and she is my ex-gf from 20 years ago. So when we get camping at a CG I'd like to talk to some campers, but they all keep to themselves.

Barbra, maybe she has no friends, but I can see your point about hearing the same stories over and over. As far as the clothes, we are not to judge one by their clothes but look inside at their heart. I might get heat for this but I like to stay c f whenever possible, but at a cg that is not c f then I cover up.

9. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

It sounds like it, Wendy. I loved hearing that story. I know we have to be careful but there's a lot of really nice people out there in the world.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You can always pretend to be deaf and pretend to use sign language... this will scare hearing people away. For some reason deafness keeps hearing people away. I am deaf myself... no hearing camper would come visit me unless he/she knows sign language... AND it doesn't bother me that hearing people don't come by.... heh... having a disability has its own advantages...

11. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

Yep, gonna have to remember this one. We camp with a Dobermann.

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

One good thing about New England. People keep to themselves. We have never had overly friendly neighbors camping.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't get all the comments about making up sordid lies, etc. What is wrong with simply saying "hey, it was nice visiting, but we'd like to spend some time on our own now"? It's a lot more respectful of others.

While I may not want to socialize, I will treat the other person with respect. No making fun at their expense, no bad mouthing them. I am capable of sending them away politely.

1380ken and Econ like this.
  14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This must be "wake up a really old thread week" here on PuP

WrkrBee likes this.
  15. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Some of these stories sound like plots for a lifetime movie.

16. Overland

Overland Active Member

Somebody walks in on my camp means they covered some distance on foot.. and are probably in need of assistance.

But as said, it's not hard to politely ask for solitude...