Inverhuron Provincial Park Review

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Ziggs76, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

We just returned from a weekend at Inverhuron Provincial Park near Kincardine on the Lake Huron shoreline. This was our first time to this Park, but the 12th provincial we have been too in the last 3 years. We stayed at site 64 in the Gunn Point campground. Below are some quick thoughts.

This review may be a bit biased because the weather was awesome and the park was still quite empty. The comfort stations were clean and modern. The sites were quite large and private with a lot of pull through sites. The beach is beautiful and sandy and the sunsets were amazing! There is a multi-use trail that circles the campground and strangely enough, there is a pioneer cemetery located within the park. The beach does have a boat ramp that allows you to launch boats/watercraft in Lake Huron.

Unfortunately they are in the process of adding a new campground, so parts of the park were closed. In case anyone is worried about this sort of thing, the campground is located directly beside the Douglas Point Nuclear Power Station. Make sure you bring lots of extension cord. The power pedestals are quite a distance from the sites. I had to use a 100' cord. There is no store within the campground. The gatehouse sells Parks Canada merchandise, coffee, ice (both blocks and cubes) and wood. The town pf Kincardine is about 20 minutes away and has all the amenities of any large town. And like most Provincial Parks, there is a lot of poison ivy.

We had a great time! The park was beautiful! There isn't a lot to do within the Park, but with the beautiful beach and how close Kincardine is ( and Port Elgin), you shouldn't get bored! We will be heading back next year to try out one of the sites in the new camp ground that is supposed to be open for 2015.

Cheers, Jeff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Hi guys, thanks for the review! We haven't thought much about this park but we will definately put it on our "will visit" list! Looks quite nice!
    See you guys in about 4 weeks!

3. ALICAM

ALICAM Member

"In case anyone is worried about this sort of thing, the campground is located directly beside the Douglas Point Nuclear Power Station"

Just to put things straight, this nuclear power facility is the largest in the world and is known as "Bruce Power" although the laid-up Douglas Point station is located on the facilities grounds...the station in the one photo is Bruce B, units 5-8....I've worked on site for almost 25 years now

4. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

I apologize for my inaccuracies.

5. Sallymander

Sallymander New Member

Inverhuron is a "refurbished" p.p. It was operational in the 1970's but was closed because of the location to "The Point". We actually stayed in the park most of the summer of 1972 as my dad had been transferred to "The Point" from Pickering and he had been living in their camp facilites onsite of the plant. It was a base for my parents to "house hunt". LOVED it. Everyday they had tours to the plant and being a kid, what else is there to do, but go for the free doughnuts? :) Most nights they also had things to see at the amphitheater and of course I'll never forget the Ranger's green pick-up truck that drove through the park with Smokey The Bear in in it, who'd always stop to talk to us about fire safety. (Sorry I digress...having a moment) ;)
    I'm not sure exactly when it reopened but when it was first operational, MacGregor had not been establised. That happened after Inverhuron was closed. We are regulars at MacGregor almost every year and have also stayed at Inverhuron on occasion.

6. Tracy D.

Tracy D. Member

Has anyone been to the new section yet?

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Actually I think Ziggy stayed in that new loop either last year or the year before..

We drove thru the new section last May 2-4, when were had the Kick off to Summer Rally at Inverhuron..