Inverter and CPAP

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Yukon Jake, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

Fishing here, not knowing the draw of my bride's CPAP (that little box that blows air in her face while she sleeps so she doesn't experience apnea), but has anyone had experience with putting one of these devices on a 12V battery through the inverter? Any guesstimates (informed or otherwise) on how long the battery would last?

She's taking our daughters and their friends out in a week to a campground w/out hookups and worries about keeping people awake with her snores.

2. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Read up on the machine to make sure it can run off of a battery. You definatly will not be able to use the heated humidifier if she has one, that sucks up a lot of juice. My CPAP can detach and just run the air part. Below is a video I made of hooking mine up.

I wouldn't bother with an inverter. I don't know the math but I think that sucks more juice doing it that way. Buy a jump pack and 12v adapter. I bought the 12v adapter for $25 bucks online....buy the real one, the one from an autoparts store or radio shack will not work. I also bought another adapter that clips onto the camper battery if I need to and plug the 12v adapter into that.

I also use this set up if and when we lose power in the house. I can go 2 nights on the jump pack and I have done 2 on the camper battery. I think the camper battery can go more, but I never camp more than 4 nights

CPAP machine

3. Mpsabatt

Mpsabatt New Member

The current drain on the battery will be roughly twelve times the current drawn by the CPAP.Hence one Amp at the CPAP equates to twelve Amps. at the Battery.Twelve Amps. per hour for ten hours equals one hundred and twenty Amp. hours.

4. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

hi,, my hubby has a CPAP to, that is mainly why we got a honda genny to run his CPAP, it is quiet enought to run at night and works well, we tried the battery route and well, it didn't last more than 1 day, and tryin to recharge it was a pain and a half, on the second night he woke up cause he could't breath, the battery had ran down and that made for a very bad night, we even tried going the route of 2 battries and that didn't do that well either, so now we have a honda 2000 genny and love it, we even got another honda 2000 to make it so we can run the AC when needed

5. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

Not using the machine, I thought it ran on AC, not a 12V power supply. That simplifies things immensely.

I've got a small battery unit with a cigarette outlet and I installed a ciggie outlet in Tag-Along Tessie. Can you please provide a link to the adapter you use so that I don't get the wrong thing?

6. Matt O

You will have to research your wifes machine to make sure the machine is capable and to make sure you get the right cable. I have a Remstar something. I just googled "12v Remstar adapter" and THIS is one of the first things that popped up.

When I got my machine I asked the tech if I could hook it up to a cig lighter. His response was you don't drive with it on. I said no, but I camp and there sometimes is not power. He was clueless. At that point I just flipped through he manual and confirmed the machine could work off of DC. I was not going to accept the machine if it was not capable of running off of DC.

7. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

Thanks, Matt. I very much appreciate your suggestions and clarification. I've got a text in to the bride (we're both at work) to ask if her machine has a DC power supply or runs straight off of the wall outlet. If it's on a PS, then I am in like Flynn!

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

IF it has a wall wort or cord brick it runs on DC. Mine without the humidifier is unbearable.Lot's of people here run their CPAP machines while camping so it shouldn't be a problem.

9. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

I checked before leaving for my own solo camping trip (on Mt. Palomar, gorgeous!), and her machine does have a 12 V input port. I have a Black and Decker emergency center, so I should good; better when I get that cigarrette lighter outlet in Tessie wired up right.

Thanks one and all.

10. Matt O

I would suggest using it for a night or 2 at home to make sure your battery source can handle 2 nights without a recharge.

11. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Jake,

I used my CPAP for the first time with 12v this past week. I do NOT have a humidifier (took about a month to get used to it without). However, while camping, I was getting water accumulation in the hose. It was so cold that my exhaled breath condensed right at the exit. Every once in a while it would "spit". At least it was clean water, not snot [:(O] I could have run all week off the battery (group 24 - soon to be replaced!) since I have LED lighting. Unfortunately, I ran the heat a bit so I ran out of battery on the 4th night. My TV charged it up just fine when we moved to a new campground.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Many CPAP machines can run directly off DC power. My wife's is a REMStar Pro series and it works just fine on the trailer's DC batteries (minus the humidifier). It pulls about 1 to 1.5 amps per hour when connected this way so there is no problem getting though the night. In fact, since we have two G27s wired in parallel, we can manage the CPAP and normal electrical demands like water pump, furnace fan, lights, etc., for three days before needing to recharge. When I need to recharge I pull out the Yamaha 1,000-watt genny and plug the Sears smart charger into it. The batteries are charged most of the way in a few hours. Also, since most of our trips involved multiple stops, we recharge while driving from one location to another.

Be sure to research your machine and its capabilities. In many cases it is not necessary to buy extra batteries, inefficient inverters, etc. Like MattO, all we had to do was buy the extra cord that allowed us to connect the machine directly to the battery (alligator clips on one end).

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have the Respironics System One that I purchased a 12VDC cable for. I also purchased a power point with alligator clips on one end to hook to the battery. I do not use the humidifier since it will put more drain on the battery. Also, using the humidifier when camping I run into rain out!

14. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

Matt and all the rest, thanks again for cluing me in that the CPAP machines are 12V machines and that most have DC power inputs in addition to the AC input. I got the ciggie light power cord that you recommended and took my bride out this last weekend, to a NFS campground with no hookups. I am having on-going problems splicing the ciggie lighter plug that I installed into my 12V system, so I pulled my TV up next tot our bed wing, plugged the CPAP into my car's ciggie lighter, put the CPAP on the hood, and snaked the hose in under the canvas. All was calm all night long (except for the techno music and bongos that I complained about in another thread). I figured, hey, if I kill my car battery, I can always jump it from the trailer. But, my car started up just fine the next morning, when we left for the trailhead.

So thanks again, all you helpful people!

15. Matt O

The cig lighter that you installed in your pup may not be strong enough for the amp pull for the machine. I had a cig lighter in my pup for a bunk fan light (circa 1992) that I thought I could plug into. Nope, not enough juice at the plug. Same reason why the cheapo radio shack plug won't work on the machine. The wire isn't thick enough.

Anyway.....what I did was buy a cig lighter plug that had 2 clips on it. I dangle it out the bunk and clip directly to the pup battery. I think you can see that in my video.

Glad your bride could enjoy camping without hookups.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Ditto on the alligator clips directly to the camper's battery.

17. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

Hadn't considered the gauge of the wire behind the ciggie lighter port, good tip!

But first things first, I need to get voltage to the power port. I think the splices I used are NG, because there is 12V where I spliced in, 0 Ohms between the splices and the power port, and still not volts at the port. Ah, well, something to work on next time.

Thanks again.

18. Lablover

Lablover Member

Please pardon my ignorance. I am a long time CPAP user and have never used it dry camping which means that we have not been dry camping since before I was diagnosed with mod-severe sleep apnea(10yrs). I am going this weekend for the first time and am starting to panic because as many of us know, it is an addiction. [A] I thought that since we have a deep cell battery mounted on the tongue, and it is in use, that all I needed to do was to plug in my CPAP to an outlet in the camper and it would work. The lights and stereo work so why wouldnt the CPAP? Sorry if this sounds really stupid. I have my original machine that doesnt have battery packs and I am sure that they no longer make any parts for it other than the neccessary hoses and masks. I just want to keep it as simple as possible. Help.

19. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Well, the lights and stereo are 12v DC not 120v AC. Look at your CPAP - does it have a extra "box" between the plug and the CPAP? If so, that is a transformer. Now look at that - you will see INPUT: 120v AC and OUTPUT: xxxxx IF it says 12vdc (with some amp or watt ratting), you are good. You just need a connection to your battery with a heavy enough cord.

I wired two "cigarette lighter" plugs in my Pup with some 12 gauge, 12v wire (what is used for Malibu lights, find it at Home Depot) back to the converter. I also found a "cigarette lighter" plug with some REALLY heavy wire on it (14 gauge) with the right size plug for my CPAP. Works great!

20. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

I have helped test and certify a newer smaller version of a CPAP machine that pulls at most 0.2A AC through the AC Power adapter, and probably half that during normal operation (sorry I do not recall whether it was a 12V or 5V DC device). It is made by Apnicure and called the Winx
    It is apparently for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and not Central Sleep Apnea (CSA).
    It apparently was finally released by the FDA to be marketed in the US this May.
    It is a much smaller machine than what was shown in this thread.
    Here is a link to their site with a picture of the device...
    http://apnicure.com/about/winx-advantage/

Hopefully this may be of some help to you trying to camp with sleep Apnea and may even be appreciated by your other half since it is a much quieter machine as well.