Inverter and CPAP

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Yukon Jake, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, it won't work that way. The outlets (the ones that are like those in your house) are for AC current only. They do not work on DC current. The lights and stereo work because they are DC items powered by the battery if you are not plugged into external AC power. When you are plugged into external AC power your converter changes some of the AC to DC for those items and the water pump and furnace fan. You will have to determine if your CPAP can run directly off DC power. If so, you'll need the connector wires we discussed in earlier posts so you can hook it to the battery.

2. Lablover

Lablover Member

Another question. We have 2 DC plug ins. one on each bunkend, the kind that you plug in the light/fans. Do they make a cord that goes from the CPAP to this that I can plug in? I am realizing that I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a new machine as mine is 10 yrs old. It sounds like the humidifiers draw alot of juice so I may have to forgo that. Thanks

3. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I have a 12v ciggarette plug for a bunk fan/light as well. I thought I could plug in as well but no, it won't work. It doesn't work. The wiring is too thin and too far from the battery so it can't handle the power draw.

I would recomend contacting a medical supply place in your area that has CPAP machines. They may have the 12v plug and you can pick it up. Do not buy a plug from radioshack, it won't handle the power draw either. Or order the plug online with overnight shipping. If you don't have a jump pack to plug into, Once you get the 12v plugt you can put the female end of the plug that has 2 alligator clips at just about any auto store or Harbor Freight. Dangle the wire out the bunk and clip directly to the battery.

You can see my setup witht he jump pack and the female plug with clips in my video that I posted earlier in the thread.

4. weatherstorm

weatherstorm always weathering the storm

[CP] [PU] We used to use a VCR and 14" TV plugged into a 115v outlet in trailer. The trailer 115v outlets were supplied by DC to AC by 1000 watt power inverter (Canadian Tire) with 870 amp car battery (spare not plugged in). This system worked fine from 6-8 hrs depending on other usage. I cannot see why the CPAP with water chamber turned at 0% would not work the same as 12v adapter. In most cases for me, I put cold water in the chamber to calm down my additional medical issues.

5. Lablover

Lablover Member

Thank you all for answering my questions. I know what I need to do now and that is get a new machine that does have the adaptor cord and connect that to our battery. Just thought there should be an easier answer. You guys are great.

6. aphelps

aphelps New Member

When I obtained my CPAP machine in fall of 2011, I was told that if I wanted to take it camping I had to use the manufacturer's cord. I got that cord - actually 2, one has clamps that connect to the battery and the other has a cig lighter end that connects (my pup doesn't have a cig socket), and have been testing it for the last two nights in the back yard in anticipation of an upcoming 5-night dry camping trip. I've been running it with the humidifier set on 3 for about 7 to 7.5 hours each night. My Harbor Freight solar panels have easily been able to charge the battery to full voltage by lunchtime.

7. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Aphelps- what solar panel do you have from HF? I would be interested in modifying my setup to include a solar charger. Are you using an offical CPAP battery, the deep cycle on your pup, or a jump pack like me?

8. aphelps

aphelps New Member