Inverter/Converter?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Natalie J Raiford, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Natalie J Raiford

Natalie J Raiford New Member

I have a 2000 Coleman Niagara Elite. Fridge, stove and water heater all run on propane. I need to use solar to power lights, laptops, phones and Tv. I am getting a 100ah AGM battery and 400w panel kit that comes with mppt 40amp charge controller. Do I need to get and install a inverter/controller? Or will the original components work.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

If you want to run things that plug into a wall socket, you will need an inverter which makes DC power into AC power. Other than the TV and laptops, most everything can use straight DC power. A 100ah battery is only going to give you about 50ah of power. An inverter will eat that up fast!

if you are installing all of the rest of this, I would recommend upgrading your power center/ converter if it is still original equipment.

Econ likes this.
  3. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

Sounds like Greek to me! Someday, maybe I'll either learn solar, and the jargon that goes with it, or I'll ask someone who is adept at it, to do it and explain it to me.

4. Natalie J Raiford

5. Natalie J Raiford

Do you think I could use the MAXOAK Power station 2400/1000w Inverter Buetti? We also have a Predator 3500w generator. Could use for lights, laptop and phones. Also can use while charging. Thank you very much for your input!

6. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

I would think a Bluetti that size might be overkill when you already have a generator for back-up. With the 400 watts of solar I would think that most of the time you should be able to keep a smaller power station, or the AGM you mentioned charged. But I might be missing something. Any AC to worry about?

7. Natalie J Raiford

Only want to use generator for AC. Decided to go the Ecoflow, it has a surge of 3300. Would like to use for coffee and toaster oven only when charging in day.

Groomporter likes this.
  8. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

I always forget about electric coffee makers... We do a percolator ;-)

Natalie J Raiford likes this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

First things first. You need a real power audit. How much power are you actually going to use? Our family of four can camp off grid and run the 2000 watt generator for three hours each morning to run the coffee maker and charge the battery via a 4amp smart charger. Sounds like you are getting ready to spend more money than needed unless your family just waste energy. 4amps for three hours puts us between 90 and 100% of our group 31 deep cycle 105 AH battery. !00 watts solar would do fine as long as it's sunny weather. 200 watsts would give us a nice cushion for cloudy days.

10. Natalie J Raiford

No we do not waste energy. I have lung disease and will need to use my nebulizer 6x daily and my 02 concentrator also. I figured it already and have the set up I need, but thank you anyway. Just wanted something for my other things separate. I have a paranoia of not having enough. I would rather have more if needed then not enough. I like to breathe...lol

BillyMc likes this.
  11. BillyMc

With health issues I would recommend a backup plan. My SIL has similar health issues. They have a 2000 watt inverter generator for backup power at home and take it camping even at sites with hookups in case the power goes out. They also keep a couple tanks filled for emergency situations. I would get a second battery and/or a small generator. If not carry some jumper cables so you can charge the batteries if solar fails. Things break and when they do I like a backup plan or better yet a couple backup plans.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

With health issues as the main concern, I would lean more towards a small inverter generator. The Ecoflow is a nice unit, but not cheap, and I have seen conflicting reviews on how well it works for high draw use. While it can recharge like nobody's business, it needs 110V to get that super quick fast charge. Solar isn't bad, but for a pack of that size and overcast conditions it may not recharge as well. When using high draw devices (toasters, kettles, microwave ovens) the Ecoflow fans will fire up. While this helps keep the unit cool while discharging at high rates, it also increases power consumption.

Is your Predator an inverter style generator? If so, take it, and add an extra battery bank to your pup. Maybe increase your solar to help charge during the day - worst case fire up the genny to recharge as needed. If you are running the A/C you will need the genny running anyway.

Does your O2 gear run off 12V as well? I know there are CPAPs that do, but I don't know about the gear you require. It might be worth it to pick up a 2nd set that is 12V capable for travel/camping as an option.

Take a look at trucking accessories. You can pick up a 12V coffee maker and such as well - I don't know how well they work, but they are out there as options.

13. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Help me here - I have a Fleetwood (same as Coleman) Sun Valley and I'm going off grid next week - how do I run the fridge off propane? I honestly have no idea

14. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

Help me here - I have a Fleetwood (same as Coleman) Sun Valley and I'm going off grid next week - how do I run the fridge off propane? I honestly have no idea

This can only happen IF you have a fridge that works on propane... older trailers usually have this. turn on the propane tank valve and make sure your 12 V battery is hooked up. There should also be a button on the fridge that says AUTO... push for AUTO...

If you also have a stove burner, open it and try to light it... this might take a few minutes as there may be air in the propane line that will need to escape before the gas actually gets there to be lit. That will HELP purge the air in the fridge line also.

15. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

My propane fridge needs to be lit off (pilot lite turned on) so it can work on propane. I have to go outside, open the vented panel, clean out the cob webs, and lite it off.

You may have to do the same. Check your owners manual for help. If no owner's manual, look on line for one.
    https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/owners-manuals

16. BillyMc

This depends on the make and model of your fridge.